Tann Hill Inn New Price!!! (1 Viewer)

Please read the post below and then vote. I think that..

• Total voters

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
The Tann Hill Inn is the highest pub in the UK and is an amazing place to visit if you can get there.
We have visited in the past ann the charge was £5 pppn as a donation to the air ambulance. The latest owners have spent a lot of money repairing, upgrading and adding facilities. There was always a toilet and shower room but they have added more.

I found the food varied from excellent to average and beer was always good. I didnt mind paying a more than the average for the atmosfear and location and with the pub being off grid in the middle of the moors.

Recently they have put up their parking to £20 pppn with a minimum booking of 2 persons so £40 per night. They have included breakfast in this cost.

There was a FB thread running where opinions varied, but generally motorhomers said its too expensive. Non motorhomers of course came back with one liners we have all heard before i.e. " Why spend 10s of thousands buying a motorhome and then be greedy on site fees" Tann hill replied that they had added toilets and showers and other facilities. Once again motorhomers replied and the majority said they wouldnt use the new facilities and were happy with how it was before.

In the past we have visited and spent on at least 8 pints and 2 meals during our stay, with an average spend of £90 to £120 per day and sometimes we stayed 2 days. I now think that if we add another £40 per day I wont bother.

With its location it really takes an effort to bother driving there, if it ices over or snows you can end up stuck. If you are stuck at sub zero temperatures all you have to do there is eat and drink in the pub so it can be very expensive,

I know opinions will vary so lets have a poll.
Great post 👍🏻

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Hi, We stopped there in October for a night we did see a sign in the car park at £10.00 a night so went up the road 100 mtrs and parked up there, beer over £5.00 a pint, had a walk up the pennine way, had a meal in the pub half the menu out of stock fish and chips 5 out of 10, staff didnt know what they were doing, took 15 mins to pay as all the card machines had flat batteries. I do believe it was bought by a headmaster cant remember what the wife did before, it was up for sale a few years ago for £900,000. I wonder if they actual own the strip of land over the road if not free parking I assume. Dont need a shower or toilet as I have already paid for my own. Tat Tar for now. Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Live close, and love Old Peculier, and search the country for it on our travels, Tan Hill price is the most expensive we have ever paid and know what a good pint of it is, sadly this wasn't one
Agree the beer there has never been any good, all to do with how it's kept and food terrible, regardless it will always be a busy pub just with its history.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
It's a difficult task running that place. I saw a programme on it recently.

Never been there but I would like to give it a go just to see what all the fuss is about.

Just need to clear this CV thing first.

Last edited:

Dagraton

Free Member
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
C class
You can 'free camp' just down the road from Tan Hill Inn.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
It's a difficult task running that place. I saw a programme on it recently.

Never been there but I would like to give it a go just to see what all the fuss is about.

Just need to clear this CV thing first.
Yeah I remember seeing a programme on the place too and my abiding memory - which as I hurtle ever faster towards my pine box ain't so good!! - was it was a difficult place to make pay. You'd have to assume they've done their home work as regards the money they've spent on new facilities, who they expect to attract as a result and the money they'd be prepared to pay. If they've got it wrong and sounds like most here think they have then it's going to be an expensive mistake. They've had 1410 reviews on Trip Advisor and rate 4 out of 5 which isn't too shabby so can't be all bad but like many at those prices I wouldn't be dragging my van all the way there though we have on occasion paid there or thereabouts on other sites that don't include breakfast!

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yeah I remember seeing a programme on the place too and my abiding memory - which as I hurtle ever faster towards my pine box ain't so good!! - was it was a difficult place to make pay. You'd have to assume they've done their home work as regards the money they've spent on new facilities, who they expect to attract as a result and the money they'd be prepared to pay. If they've got it wrong and sounds like most here think they have then it's going to be an expensive mistake. They've had 1410 reviews on Trip Advisor and rate 4 out of 5 which isn't too shabby so can't be all bad but like many at those prices I wouldn't be dragging my van all the way there though we have on occasion paid there or thereabouts on other sites that don't include breakfast!
They have been throwing hundreds of thousands of pounds at it. Converted the barn and added underfloor heating. Redone the kitchens, added pods, shower block and loads more.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Love the place, £40 inc breakfast. Worth every penny imho.

Always wanted to get snowed in, but never have.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
This really does have all the hallmarks of a business spending extensively as a result of 'thinking' they have done their homework and falling into an all to familiar trap.
'When poor 'investment' has been made through poor research and income doesn't instantly hit the predictions to repay the costs the reality hits. The result is to chase revenue by increasing prices, sometimes to such an extent that it drives customers away and has the opposite effect in further reducing income.' - Sir John Harvey-Jones Chairman of ICI 1982-7
Now the changes at Tan Hill really do seem to fit that 'formula' and I agree with jezport this probably won't end well.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I went there 53 years ago with my uncle to help dip their sheep , it was as bleak as hell and blinkin freezin there wasnt anything like a carpark then lol,

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The last time I was there when we walked the Pennine way a long time a go the camping was a muddy field. The only good point was the open fire and a pint whilst you dried out.
Paying £40 a night to sit amongst the smell of wet walking gear seams a bit steep. At that price they are they going to turn it into no muddy boots or dogs allowed.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We have stayed at many pubs, most just require you to buy a pint which we always do.

If we have food, even at cheaper places, with two kids as well, the bill is usually about £60. Much more at the gastro type pubs which we happily pay if we fancy food and can stop on the car park.

Always wanted to go here, would have made a special trip and booked a table. Probably would have spent close to £100 in the pub.

If it’s going to cost me £60 for breakfast on top, I really won’t bother.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm not doing this just to be argumentative, honest, but look at it like this, they have got all sorts of things set up , b&b, camping , pods, plus the pub and meals. right now they think why have a load of motorhomes parked here paying nothing, taking the car park space up, and getting very little out of it, whereas if we charge £40 each , ok we might only get maybe 2 but that's £80 plus what they spend in the pub, probably £150 , and hardly any park taken up. And maybe more than a load of vans would have parked for nowt.
It's not for me and maybe many others, but there's a couple on here say they will do it so maybe a good idea.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Love the place, £40 inc breakfast. Worth every penny imho.

Always wanted to get snowed in, but never have.
I seem to recall the customers were all snowed in for a few days a few years ago after which They got this .....
1610658036848.png

..... I don't know if it's still there.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Can’t remember when everyone last got stuck there, but I do remember seeing the beer and food was free during that time.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I'm not doing this just to be argumentative, honest, but look at it like this, they have got all sorts of things set up , b&b, camping , pods, plus the pub and meals. right now they think why have a load of motorhomes parked here paying nothing, taking the car park space up, and getting very little out of it, whereas if we charge £40 each , ok we might only get maybe 2 but that's £80 plus what they spend in the pub, probably £150 , and hardly any park taken up. And maybe more than a load of vans would have parked for nowt.
It's not for me and maybe many others, but there's a couple on here say they will do it so maybe a good idea.
You may be right, but i thought they were charging £5 to £10 per night for vans before and if they did have a car park full of vans some of them would spend in the pub anyway so pleasing 10 vanners us better than just 2. The more vanners that visit the more happy people to sing their praises. As it is now less people will probably avail themselves and so less will spend.
daft thing us there are a couple if parking spots within walking distance if pub so a wild camp nearby may still be on the cards 👍🏻👍🏻

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
A few years ago, I phoned the Tan Hill Inn on a Wednesday morning, to enquire about staying over on our way down from Scotland to the Newark Spring Show, and to book a table for two for dinner on Thursday evening.
Our booking was accepted, and I was assured of a friendly welcome and a good meal. Sounded great TBH. (y)

We arrived in gusting winds and torrential rain. I got out the MH and went in to the pub to introduce myself, and confirm the booking. On the way in, I spotted a couple of farmer types drinking Theakstons Old Peculier in front of a roaring open fire, and thought to myself, all we need now is a nice big tasty steak and a couple of pints of one of my favourite ales. Yesss.

When I spoke to the bar staff, they weren't aware of our booking, but advised us to park on the sheltered side of the pub. When I mentioned the dinner booking for two, they told me that Thursday was the chef's night off....................but not to worry, they'd soon find something in the freezer for us. Gordon ####ing Bennett. :mad:
I told them that I would park up and be back shortly, then walked out, jumped in the MH, and drove all the way back to Newark, to meet up with Jim & Sian and had a few beers.

We've not been back since, and with their obvious efforts to discourage MH'ers, we won't ever return. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :(

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
Think £20 pp/pn is a bit stiff, even with breakfast included.

I would consider staying at a base price around £25 for 2 people in a MH, and poss bit extra per person above 2

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
£20 per person per night.
Janine travels solo Gwyn, hence her not paying £20 per night. ;) And no way would we be paying £40 per night. They can shove it up their jacksy. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I think they might be aiming at the Campervan crowd more than the motorhomes on here. Looking at the Facebook page, quite a few people are saying they will hire a Campervan & seem happy to pay the charge! I have been & like many have said, the food is so so & it’s very bleak, but something to say you’ve done perhaps?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Janine travels solo Gwyn, hence her not paying £20 per night. ;) And no way would we be paying £40 per night. They can shove it up their jacksy. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Hi both,
I didn’t realise that, but I would expect, parking evening meal and breakfast for £40 which quite a few pubs would consider for £40.on top of that you’d be buying drinks. I definitely won’t be calling in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back