Tann Hill Inn New Price!!! (1 Viewer)

Please read the post below and then vote. I think that..

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The Tann Hill Inn is the highest pub in the UK and is an amazing place to visit if you can get there.
We have visited in the past ann the charge was £5 pppn as a donation to the air ambulance. The latest owners have spent a lot of money repairing, upgrading and adding facilities. There was always a toilet and shower room but they have added more.

I found the food varied from excellent to average and beer was always good. I didnt mind paying a more than the average for the atmosfear and location and with the pub being off grid in the middle of the moors.

Recently they have put up their parking to £20 pppn with a minimum booking of 2 persons so £40 per night. They have included breakfast in this cost.

There was a FB thread running where opinions varied, but generally motorhomers said its too expensive. Non motorhomers of course came back with one liners we have all heard before i.e. " Why spend 10s of thousands buying a motorhome and then be greedy on site fees" Tann hill replied that they had added toilets and showers and other facilities. Once again motorhomers replied and the majority said they wouldnt use the new facilities and were happy with how it was before.

In the past we have visited and spent on at least 8 pints and 2 meals during our stay, with an average spend of £90 to £120 per day and sometimes we stayed 2 days. I now think that if we add another £40 per day I wont bother.

With its location it really takes an effort to bother driving there, if it ices over or snows you can end up stuck. If you are stuck at sub zero temperatures all you have to do there is eat and drink in the pub so it can be very expensive,

I know opinions will vary so lets have a poll.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
TBH I've been a few times on the m/bike and thought the service indifferent. It wasn't the pub we went for but the ride. I wouldn't take the m/h there even if it was free. The road to the pub is undulating and unless you are into walking there's nothing else to do or see. Each to their own I know but it's not for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If eating in the pub I would expect it to be free, if not eating a fiver is more than enough to say in a car park.
I agree.
We were touring the lake district just before the first lockdown and decided that we would stay only at pubs which allowed us to stay free. The only thing I would accept is that we we would drink in the pub and possibly buy food if we liked what we saw and wanted it.
If the bar staff said we had to eat we moved on. We found some really nice places and ate at them all. It cost us far more than site fees but we got great food and drinks. And the pub profited nicely

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
£40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a car park with a toilet and shower that i have on board.

They need to compare their price with other pubs and see what extra value they are giving. What is going to entice people to go to this pub is negligible at that price.

Far better to charge nothing and have 10 people buying a few pints and meals than to have one person paying £40 and not bothering to eat or drink. (IMV)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What has happened with britstops during the lockdowns, has anyone used them when opening was allowed again , are any letting you park for a fee or what.
Or has it all closed down?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Up until the COVID pandemic we were regular visitors to the Tan Hill but not to stay overnight .
The Sunday Lunches are excellent and the Pub is always nice and cozy in the cold weather

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Stayed there in the vans in 2019 and the food was mediocre at best. We were happy to pay the £5 charge/donation because of the views. However the drive is a bit of a challenge and couldn’t see us doing it again and certainly not at the new price structure. IMHO most motorhomers wouldn’t be wanting 2 nights as said by TheTwoOfUs - nothing else to do up there other than fell walking and if the weather is naff it’s dreary!!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Just checked their website.. £20/person/night..min 2booking is peak price... £15 off peak...BUT even so... no

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The toilet and shower block will have been installed for walkers on the long distance Lyke Wake walk (which passes close by and the pub is a major stopping point) not for the convenience of motorhomes.
I wouldn't pay more than a fiver and £40 is aimed at putting motorhomes off staying.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The toilet and shower block will have been installed for walkers on the long distance Lyke Wake walk (which passes close by and the pub is a major stopping point) not for the convenience of motorhomes.
I wouldn't pay more than a fiver and £40 is aimed at putting motorhomes off staying.
Sadly they are not trying to put motorhomers of, I think they see us as a source with high disposable income and are really pushing their "deals" to motohomers on Face Book. They remove every comment that doesnt support them!!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You are thinking of Red lion Blakey Ridge ;)

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Just looked at the website. Double Room, £150 a night. Might be wrong, but I don't see ramblers wanting to pay that much either. They must be after the more money than sense punters. I wouldn't pay that in Central London.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We might expect to see more of these swingeing price increases aimed at MHers. With MH sales up 150% last year, you can predict that during 2021, similar stopping places could be rammed with staycationers as soon as the lockdown restrictions are lifted. I think pitch fees will go up significantly especially for peak season.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We called in a couple of years ago, just to say we had been, Food was ok but nothing special, I certainly wont be going again at those prices. I also cant find anything on their web site that mentions monies to charity, when we stayed the overnight fee went to local charity.
tan hill.jpg

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
What has happened with britstops during the lockdowns, has anyone used them when opening was allowed again , are any letting you park for a fee or what.
Or has it all closed down?
No, Britstops were still going, or least some were - others hadn‘t reopened or in some cases had “reclaimed“ their car parks in the summer to use for outside tables. But we stopped at a couple of NE Britstop pubs in the summer - one would have been happy to bring food & drink out to our van in the car park. (In the end we decided they were well enough set up that we were happy to eat inside.)

And I know that a number of other Britstoppers made very good use of the scheme over the summer. No fees other than for ehu, as before - although I think there may have been more instances than usual of places trying to make food purchase a requirement?

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I think this sort of pricing will come back to bite the new owners - and the room prices likewise. At that level they are presumably registering it as a campsite?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We visited early 2019 and though the drink was good, the food and service was average, the roads in and out are ’interesting‘ I suspect the operators have changed hands again, which it appears to do every 3 to 5 years. who advised them that MoHo,s want a package with breakfast ? Most don’t, they will want to do their own thing once they have had a lunch or evening meal. So for 2 nights for a couple £80 plus possibly a lunch or evening meal add £50 that’s a lot of dosh for 2 nights and a day. No not me anytime soon.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well we went a couple of years ago and to be honest just turned round in the car park and left.
Nothing there that we wanted I'm afraid for nothing nevermind paying.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I've never been, but it's somewhere I've always intended to go.

Many of the comments on their Facebook page lead me the impression they're aiming at the younger, staycation, partying market, rather than the typical Fun member. There are lots of enthusiastic comments on their page, but am I the only one to have noticed how similar many of them are 🤔 ?

Good luck to them with their business venture, in very difficult times for the hospitality industry, but we most definitely won't be going.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I've never been, but it's somewhere I've always intended to go.

Many of the comments on their Facebook page lead me the impression they're aiming at the younger, staycation, partying market, rather than the typical Fun member. There are lots of enthusiastic comments on their page, but am I the only one to have noticed how similar many of them are 🤔 ?

Good luck to them with their business venture, in very difficult times for the hospitality industry, but we most definitely won't be going.
They remove any comments which dont agree with them. They have lost a lot of motorhomers like me, who have visited a few times a year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back