Tag axles (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Oh dear. Was hoping we'd get away with Class 3, seeing as we're not 'technically' an HGV. However, with the above criteria, I'm not sure we'll have much of a leg to stand on in our tag axle (GVW > 3.8 tonne), 3.3m Dethleffs Esprit 7870-2.
Anyone know a link to the current rates?
Haven't actually taken delivery yet (but my nesting instinct is kicking in), so don't know about this vehicle's tendency to wheel spin. Can't be worse that our M5 though! :D

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
We have the Autotrail Comanche at 9 mtr with the tow bar. Swapped from an rv & never looked back. Fantastic vehicle & when towing returns 25 mpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have an A class tag and tow a car no real problems yet we did have an Autotrail Chieftain and on grass this did sometimes struggle for grip I think it was mostly down to tyre choice. When I park on grass I always use grip mats

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Some interesting comments and opinions,keep them coming(y)
Brian & Jo

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
yes.. but it's a bit like a 'why I love my RV thread' .. all those who own them praising them ..

you need to ask ex owners why they sold them to get a balanced view.. :)

We've had "her" 10 years this May, and absolutely love "her". ;)
It's pointless asking me then. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's pointless asking me then. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock.

indeed Jock.. but you knew where I was coming from.. :)

if you read RV threads you seldom hear a complaint.. and the truth is stretched to breaking point..
until they are sold then they suddenly become gas guzzling leviathans with no right to be on the road.. :LOL:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes, I knew what you meant Jim. ;)

It might come across as a being a bit pedantic, but none of us above are "Tag Axle" owners (or have been), as a tag axle is a dead axle, normally positioned behind a driven axle, and on commercial vehicles they can often be lifted by the use of hydraulics.

What we have on our six legger MHs, are referred to as "Tandem Axles", even though most of us (moi included) refer to them as "Tag Axles". ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
yes.. but it's a bit like a 'why I love my RV thread' .. all those who own them praising them ..

you need to ask ex owners why they sold them to get a balanced view.. :)

Thats very true unfortunately only one x owner replied and it wasn't particularly balanced as apparently it would hardly go up the road. :rolleyes: Seems most tag owners keep them a long time suppose you could read something into that. Had ours nearly 5 years now won't be changing anytime soon.
Also a lot of tag owners seem to be ex RVers

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I had better own up to the fact that I have never owned an RV and never owned a TAG....why would anyone want to?
I have motorhomed for ages including a long period when we were five in number. I have never found a desire or need for more space or a longer van. All that a Tag will add is more space, what do you need more space for in a motorhome?. Compare the advantages of less space with the disadvantages of driving a tag or RV, just no comparison. :)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Jim, does it HAVE to be Love or Hate for RV's? I still own my TAG AXLE RV! Although it is up for sale as I have a new Flair on order. I love my RV, it does much that a Euro van cannot at this time, until slides become norm and the right price on them in europe too; I would not slag off my RV just because I am changing, I am doing it because I will accept a different compromise going forward. The RV is a compromise of comfort and space over geographical accessability. Euro vans are the reverse, in my opinion of course, but its a choice I choose to make.
Tag axles give you some advantages, mainly load capacity, but they have a visual effect of lengthening the motorhome, my Rv with its tag is always thought to be over 40ft when its only 37. So if you are also in need of visual compensation, Tags are the way to go!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim, does it HAVE to be Love or Hate for RV's?

No, of course not, owned a 36ft Georgieboy pusher for five years.. and like yourself, if asked would always try to give an honest appraisal .. it had it's good and bad points..
but have also read some ridiculous claims to economy and ease of use by some RV owners that could mislead someone into buying one...

I'm not suggesting anyone on this thread is making false or misleading claims about tags .. just as there is always two sides to a coin.. and it can't all be good points.. there must be disadvantages.

no one should take it personal when a negative about ANY type of motorhome is mentioned.. there is no such thing as the perfect van.. they all have pros and cons

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
(y)hi guys just curious to know really,how many members have tag axle motorhomes:)
Brian & Jo

I had better own up to the fact that I have never owned an RV and never owned a TAG....why would anyone want to?
I have motorhomed for ages including a long period when we were five in number. I have never found a desire or need for more space or a longer van. All that a Tag will add is more space, what do you need more space for in a motorhome?. Compare the advantages of less space with the disadvantages of driving a tag or RV, just no comparison. :)

Not sure how the above is relevant to the Op at the topo_Oo_Oo_O

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008

As you said you have never owned one (n)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No, of course not, owned a 36ft Georgieboy pusher for five years.. and like yourself, if asked would always try to give an honest appraisal .. it had it's good and bad points..
but have also read some ridiculous claims to economy and ease of use by some RV owners that could mislead someone into buying one...

I'm not suggesting anyone on this thread is making false or misleading claims about tags .. just as there is always two sides to a coin.. and it can't all be good points.. there must be disadvantages.

no one should take it personal when a negative about ANY type of motorhome is mentioned..

Very true and as an x Rv er I've always tried to answer true as with tag questions still love Rvs just don't suit our travelling style anymore.

Tag ownership down sides;

1 Length on some can be as long as a RV limiting parking pitch availability. Luckily mines only 7.6 m so no such issue.
2 Front wheel drive puts a lot of people off because of traction issues and the longer the motorhome the worse the traction can be theoretically. Again at 7.6m less of an issue.
3 Fiat chassis not the greatest in the world but millions out there in all guises not just motorhomes so cant be too bad.
4 Fuel consumption most seem to get around 25 mpg or a bit less so no worse than Merc or Iveco rear wheel drive but obviously not sub 6.5m van mpg. Personally find it very hard too believe the 29/30mpg figures some claim bit like the Rvs that do 18 or 20mpg.
5 Not a realistic form of transport once pitched but then how many motorhomes are. Panel van owners claim that as a benefit but visit Spain in the winter and see them all set up with massive fixed awnings bigger than the van with sofas and tvs no way those vans are going anywhere.
This is from an honest tag owner 5 years on.

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
thanks for the constructive help Rory;)(y) it was only meant to be a light hearted thread to see how many were owned on here:LOL: just goes to show you how a thread can easily go off line.so come on guys just the ones that own one please:rolleyes:(y)
Brian & Jo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks for the constructive help Rory;)(y) it was only meant to be a light hearted thread to see how many were owned on here:LOL: just goes to show you how a thread can easily go off line.so come on guys just the ones that own one please:rolleyes:(y)
Brian & Jo

I thought it was a general discussion on Tags..

and as I'm in the process of searching for a new van and having never owned a Tag thought it pertinent to ask questions.. pros and cons..

apologies for putting your thread 'off line' .. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
I thought it was a general discussion on Tags..

and as I'm in the process of searching for a new van and having never owned a Tag thought it pertinent to ask questions.. pros and cons..

apologies for putting your thread 'off line' .. :rolleyes:
Dont be daft Jim your input is always very welcome,just joking really:)(y)
Brian & Jo
p.s.good luck with the search for a new van(y)

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
(y)hi guys just curious to know really,how many members have tag axle motorhomes:)
Brian & Jo
Hi Brian & Jo,
Just about to become the owner of a tag axle, so your above original posted question was of interest to me.
I am new to the forum and have started to notice how a lot of posts seem to get hijacked/sidetracked!
The premis of the question asked seems quite straight forward.
I may start another thread on this as I don't want to fall foul of my own observations.
Spud.

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
HI Spud and welcome to MHF,enjoy your time here its a great forum(y) don't take any notice of the fact that sometimes threads go a little off course:LOL:its part and parcel of how the forum works.we have had RV,s for the last 8yrs and have now ordered a N+B Arto due for delivery next month (fingers crossed) what motorhome are you getting,hope the hand over goes well and you enjoy it(y).welcome aboard.
Brian & Jo

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have a "Tag", we were up in Derbyshire New Year with 4" of snow. I was a little concerned as the campsite was hard packed ice and snow. However, even with the Hyundai i10 o the A Frame it did not slide or spin at all and totally surprised me. Very stable, less rear overhang on corners, it ticks my boxes. Having first owned an RV I was not sorry to see it go. 6.5td engine so slow unless you had it screaming over 4k , 15mpg against 24, granted the larger tanks were useful except that the black was larger that the grey! Then you had to find somewhere to empty it. No Euro box suits us fine thanks.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have a tag axle at 8.9 (incl tow bar) never experienced wheel spin (touch wood) and have always got on the sites we want to go to. If going to sites in the UK I generally phone in advance to ensure we can fit, but to date not had any problems. On the continent it is much less of a problem as there seems to be more large vans travelling around, and the sites tend to cater for the bigger units.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back