Tabletop BBQ that can be used as an occasional oven (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Hi all, I need to be able to do Oven Chips outside, and I need a small gas grill BBQ!

So does anyone know of a tabletop bbq that has a lid that is heat-retentive enough to get the temp up to about 180/190 deg c so that you can bake in it? It needs to be able to be connected the the external moho gas supply, but there are loads of adapters out there it seems.

I'd prefer to not spend a fortune, but do people think is the best option?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Weber do a range of different sized BBQs. Expensive but very good. We've cooked all sorts in it but not tried chips! But chicken was really good.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Webber Q1200, we even spit roast chickens on ours

1605274262133.png
1605274262133.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
I swear by this which serves as an oven and uses gas on the lowest setting
had the large one for 10 years and just bought a new one.
http://www.thedoubleskilletpancompany.com/
you will of course need a gas burner , I have a similar one to this for connecting to external BBQ point but there are cheaper versions.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Thanks for all these suggestions.
I like the look of the Cobb, but so many sites these days won't allow BBQs that use solid fuel.

I looked at the double skillet idea, and the Omnia, but I don't really want a gas ring solution. Not ruling it out.

I was wondering about the Webers and also the Cadac Citi 40. I'm veering towards them but do they do oven chips!?? I have a son with autism who is the pickiest eater. His usual dinner is two yorkshire puds, bacon, chips and Bisto Best chicken gravy! Lunch is just loads of fruit though, before anyone calls social services!

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
The Cobb is cold to the touch outside. I have picked it up and moved it with bare hands whilst cooking and flames inside! There is no mark on the ground after cooking and I’ve also had it on a table outside.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
never tried oven chips on the cadac, if it was at home would have given it a go to see how it does.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Thanks for all these suggestions.
I like the look of the Cobb, but so many sites these days won't allow BBQs that use solid fuel.

I looked at the double skillet idea, and the Omnia, but I don't really want a gas ring solution. Not ruling it out.

I was wondering about the Webers and also the Cadac Citi 40. I'm veering towards them but do they do oven chips!?? I have a son with autism who is the pickiest eater. His usual dinner is two yorkshire puds, bacon, chips and Bisto Best chicken gravy! Lunch is just loads of fruit though, before anyone calls social services!
we roast potatoes and vegetables using our q1200, no problem.. i am confident you will have no issue cooking a few oven chips

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
we roast potatoes and vegetables using our q1200, no problem.. i am confident you will have no issue cooking a few oven chips
Roast spuds? If it can do roast spuds, that will do for me! Thank you!

Is it easy to clean? My current cheapo barbecue needs to be pressure washed every time we use it.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Roast spuds? If it can do roast spuds, that will do for me! Thank you!

Is it easy to clean? My current cheapo barbecue needs to be pressure washed every time we use it.
Also, can you connect the Weber Q1000 /Q1200 up to a motorhome external gas socket?

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Yes very easy to clean and yes can be connected to external BQ point, ours is.
we removed the gas frame that comes with Q1200 and replaced with quick release fitting and just plug into MH bullfinch gas point
Cheers, sold. On my Christmas list!

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
We swapped our microwave for a dualit mini grill oven. It weighs less than 7 kg , on full power takes 1400w and 700w grill only or bottom only. From cold to 180C in less than 3 mins, thermostatically heat control, toast very fast on grill or 15-18 mins pizza in the oven. Can bake bread, chips, roasties etc. The only downside, you have to take it out on the work surface to use it.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
DDJC We're selling our Weber gas BBQ. Will take photos tomorrow and P.M. you.
You would have to collect - we're near Uttoxeter. Let me know if this is of interest.

LiquidLunch

Free Member
Apr 28, 2014
Prestatyn
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Long time!
Not done it myself but I've seen someone on a site cook oven chips on a Cadac, they looked pretty good when he'd finished.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The Cobb is cold to the touch outside. I have picked it up and moved it with bare hands whilst cooking and flames inside! There is no mark on the ground after cooking and I’ve also had it on a table outside.
We have a cobb, love it and using the cobbles generates hardly any smoke. We don't like gas bbqs so I'm seriously thinking of putting a dummy gas pipe on the cobb so we can use it more.

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
I just put my Cobb on the table.It only smokes for 5 mins while getting started.No one realises it's a BBQ, more expensive to run thought if a Cobblestone daily.Can just use a few briquettes for a quick meal

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all, I need to be able to do Oven Chips outside, and I need a small gas grill BBQ!

So does anyone know of a tabletop bbq that has a lid that is heat-retentive enough to get the temp up to about 180/190 deg c so that you can bake in it? It needs to be able to be connected the the external moho gas supply, but there are loads of adapters out there it seems.

I'd prefer to not spend a fortune, but do people think is the best option?

I use the £45 Asda one. Cheap and cheerful, but small and doubles as an oven and runs off a low pressure line (so you can attach to BBQ point). You can only buy them seasonally, and it's never going to beat a Weber for build quality, but who cares for that price. I actually got my last one (previous one lasted 4 years being abused left outside in winter) for £25. I thought I'd missed the boat this September when I needed a new one, and the seasonal stuff had all disappeared, but found 8 of them in a pile deeply discounted.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
DDJC We're selling our Weber gas BBQ. Will take photos tomorrow and P.M. you.
You would have to collect - we're near Uttoxeter. Let me know if this is of interest.
Thanks for this, but I have a new one arriving on Monday! I was seeing it at £290 - £250, but Amazon have a Black Friday, discounted, 'Today's Price Only' or something, at £200.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for this, but I have a new one arriving on Monday! I was seeing it at £290 - £250, but Amazon have a Black Friday, discounted, 'Today's Price Only' or something, at £200.

Which model is it? Some can only run off high pressure gas canisters and aren't suitable for BBQ points. Of course, even if that is the case, you can just buy gas canisters!

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Which model is it? Some can only run off high pressure gas canisters and aren't suitable for BBQ points. Of course, even if that is the case, you can just buy gas canisters!
Yes, I saw this. I've ordered the Weber Q1000. It is supposed to run off throwaway gas bottles, but for a fiver you can get an adapter that you can connect to a gas hose and onto the moho external gas point. Reviewers have said that it works perfectly. Weber do sell an adapter hose that is designed for the Q1000, but the gas regulator at the end is a 27mm click fit, which I don't want. I'll let you know.

I did look out for the Asda BBQ, but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm like you. I don't expect a BBQ to last a lifetime, so spending £45 on one that does the job, rather than £200, certainly appeals to an old stinge like me.

But SWMBO would always prefer that we spend more and get the best quality. I know my place!

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Looks like it could be possible with a Cadac. We did all our cooking for 4 adults and two children on a Cadac on our accidental European tour back in the summer and it worked fine.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, I saw this. I've ordered the Weber Q1000. It is supposed to run off throwaway gas bottles, but for a fiver you can get an adapter that you can connect to a gas hose and onto the moho external gas point. Reviewers have said that it works perfectly. Weber do sell an adapter hose that is designed for the Q1000, but the gas regulator at the end is a 27mm click fit, which I don't want. I'll let you know.

I did look out for the Asda BBQ, but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm like you. I don't expect a BBQ to last a lifetime, so spending £45 on one that does the job, rather than £200, certainly appeals to an old stinge like me.

But SWMBO would always prefer that we spend more and get the best quality. I know my place!

Check first, when I last looked at the Webers, the adapter appeared to consist of a high pressure hose and adapter, NOT a regulator. This wouldn't be compatible with the BBQ outlet, even if you swapped the end. I may have been mistaken, however.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Check first, when I last looked at the Webers, the adapter appeared to consist of a high pressure hose and adapter, NOT a regulator. This wouldn't be compatible with the BBQ outlet, even if you swapped the end. I may have been mistaken, however.
If you are using your BBQ point on the motorhome you do not need a regulator, as the gas is already at low pressure, having been regulated by the motorhome's regulator. So all you need to do is take off the regulator on the Weber and use a pass through hose. Very simple to do, and even I did it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back