Tabletop BBQ that can be used as an occasional oven (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Left field suggestion if you just want the facility to do a few oven chips...

A Ridgemonkey - then you're free to choose any bbq or heat source...

16053715816279128959980636609612_copy_600x605.jpg

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you are using your BBQ point on the motorhome you do not need a regulator, as the gas is already at low pressure, having been regulated by the motorhome's regulator. So all you need to do is take off the regulator on the Weber and use a pass through hose. Very simple to do, and even I did it.

I mean some models of Weber have a regulator built into the device (or possibly have jets sized for high pressure gas). The add-on bottle hose is a high pressure line with a non-regulated bottle adapter. Are you saying this type can have the internal regulator removed or bypassed?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Are you saying this type can have the internal regulator removed or bypassed?
That is exactly what I am saying. The Weber Q1000 and Q1200 are designed for use with disposable gas cylinders and have a regulator to fit those attached. This regulator can be easily unscrewed and allows for fitting of an ordinary hose between the motorhome BBQ point and the Weber. Previously Weber themselves used to sell a hose kit (at an exorbitant price) for you to do that, but they don't anymore for some reason. It is low pressure and the jets work just fine. I know because that is what I have done on my Q1200 and it works just fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
That is exactly what I am saying. The Weber Q1000 and Q1200 are designed for use with disposable gas cylinders and have a regulator to fit those attached. This regulator can be easily unscrewed and allows for fitting of an ordinary hose between the motorhome BBQ point and the Weber. Previously Weber themselves used to sell a hose kit (at an exorbitant price) for you to do that, but they don't anymore for some reason. It is low pressure and the jets work just fine. I know because that is what I have done on my Q1200 and it works just fine.
Yes, that is my reading of it. You undo the regulator fitting and simply screw on a brass gas bayonet. Attach gas hose, and fit a wormscrew clamp. Check for leaks with washing up liquid and jobs a good 'un.

My only issue is that it is an apparently extremely tight fitting to the Weber and one guy on a youtube vid suggested actually removing the whole assembly and putting it into a vice. Did you have any trouble removing the regulator attachment?

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes, that is my reading of it. You undo the regulator fitting and simply screw on a brass gas bayonet. Attach gas hose, and fit a wormscrew clamp. Check for leaks with washing up liquid and jobs a good 'un.

My only issue is that it is an apparently extremely tight fitting to the Weber and one guy on a youtube vid suggested actually removing the whole assembly and putting it into a vice. Did you have any trouble removing the regulator attachment?
It's 2 or 3 years since I did it, but I don't remember any particular problem. I have a feeling that one of the threads was a left hand one, but I am not sure if that applied to the Weber or the previous BBQ I had.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Slightly confused here as I thought the subject was related to the best BBQ for a table top. A real BBQ should be either wood or charcoal fueled not gas.

I don't understand your confusion. I mentioned I wanted a gas BBQ in my original post.

Although there is no clear definition, the defining characteristic of a bbq cannot be the fuel. The definition depends on the direction of the heat source.

Certainly, for us in the UK:
With a BBQ, the radiant heat comes from below. Wood, charcoal, gas, electricity, dried camel dung, whatever
With a grill, the radiant heat comes from above. Usually gas or electric.

Of course in America 'broiling' can mean barbecuing or grilling, using gas, wood or charcoal.

I know some people get quite energised about it, and there is occasionally some gentle pedantry about it (Why? Who cares?) but the fact remains that barbecues do not have to use charcoal to be a barbecue.

I mean, Weber would be in court for false advertisement if I was wrong, wouldn't they?

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
It's 2 or 3 years since I did it, but I don't remember any particular problem. I have a feeling that one of the threads was a left hand one, but I am not sure if that applied to the Weber or the previous BBQ I had.
Cheers, I think that it is left handed. Did you put any thread sealant or tape round it, or just use the rubber sealing ring supplied?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I don't understand your confusion. I mentioned I wanted a gas BBQ in my original post.

Although there is no clear definition, the defining characteristic of a bbq cannot be the fuel. The definition depends on the direction of the heat source.

Certainly, for us in the UK:
With a BBQ, the radiant heat comes from below. Wood, charcoal, gas, electricity, dried camel dung, whatever
With a grill, the radiant heat comes from above. Usually gas or electric.

Of course in America 'broiling' can mean barbecuing or grilling, using gas, wood or charcoal.

I know some people get quite energised about it, and there is occasionally some gentle pedantry about it (Why? Who cares?) but the fact remains that barbecues do not have to use charcoal to be a barbecue.

I mean, Weber would be in court for false advertisement if I was wrong, wouldn't they?
Glad you took the bate! I agree bbq has become a generic term and nothing wrong with a gas bbq as it allows you to prepare food outside. I was simply emphasizing the difference in cooking over coals or wood which gives it that very unique flavor. Apologies if you thought I was criticizing you not my intention.

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
I've used a Cobb ever since I saw them being used on the 'Hairy Bikers' series. They are good, easy to light and you can cook a joint in them. Downside.. they are a nightmare to clean.

Reactions: DBK
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I've used a Cobb ever since I saw them being used on the 'Hairy Bikers' series. They are good, easy to light and you can cook a joint in them. Downside.. they are a nightmare to clean.
Have a look at a lotus grill with the 'hood' attachment. the grill can be difficult but if you spray it with olive oil just before placing the meat or fish it really helps the cleaning process. The Lotus has been copied and other brands are available and are cheaper but no idea if they have the same build quality.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cheers, I think that it is left handed. Did you put any thread sealant or tape round it, or just use the rubber sealing ring supplied?
I am not sure the kit I use came with a rubber ring seal. But if it did I would have just used that.

On the very few occasions that I have made permanent gas joints I have always used the little tube of Calortite that I inherited from my Dad in 1987. I am not sure whether it is needed, but I have never had a leak. I have got a feeling my Son may be still using it after I have gone. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Have a look at a lotus grill with the 'hood' attachment. the grill can be difficult but if you spray it with olive oil just before placing the meat or fish it really helps the cleaning process. The Lotus has been copied and other brands are available and are cheaper but no idea if they have the same build quality.
Looks good. but so many sites don't allow solid fuel BBQs. I once forumed (sic) a geezer who wouldn't book any pitches where solid fuel BBS were not permitted. Cutting off nose to spite face??

We go to Italy, Germany, Austria and Swissy a lot and drought/fire risk plus air pollution, sees a lot of sites saying no to solid fuel.

Reactions: DBK

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Wrap oven chips in foil put the lid down and leave ...just a thought..not tried but worth a go.🍻

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi all, I need to be able to do Oven Chips outside, and I need a small gas grill BBQ!

So does anyone know of a tabletop bbq that has a lid that is heat-retentive enough to get the temp up to about 180/190 deg c so that you can bake in it? It needs to be able to be connected the the external moho gas supply, but there are loads of adapters out there it seems.

I'd prefer to not spend a fortune, but do people think is the best option?

When we lived full-time in our Hymer we used an electric Halogen Oven that did everything well. Really cheap from Amazon. You need hook-up. Otherwise a Ridgemonkey Compact that requires more dexterity; Can't help you with external doofer since never had one. Now have a Westfalia Jules Verne & the Ridgemonkey was good.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I swear by this which serves as an oven and uses gas on the lowest setting
had the large one for 10 years and just bought a new one.
http://www.thedoubleskilletpancompany.com/
you will of course need a gas burner , I have a similar one to this for connecting to external BBQ point but there are cheaper versions.
Broken Link Removed

As you say the double skillet is a brilliant piece of kit if used carefully, as over many years (18yrs) they loose their non-stick effectiveness, I would like to buy a new one as the two large ones I still have are no longer very non-stick, I have emailed the company on two occasions asking if the intend to stock the larger versions, which I have currently, but they have never replied, I feel the smaller 20cm would be too small for me.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
As you say the double skillet is a brilliant piece of kit if used carefully, as over many years (18yrs) they loose their non-stick effectiveness, I would like to buy a new one as the two large ones I still have are no longer very non-stick, I have emailed the company on two occasions asking if the intend to stock the larger versions, which I have currently, but they have never replied, I feel the smaller 20cm would be too small for me.

Keep a look out on gumtree/eBay/preloved/Spock, I found an unused original large one on eBay fairly recently :giggle:

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
The Cobb is cold to the touch outside. I have picked it up and moved it with bare hands whilst cooking and flames inside! There is no mark on the ground after cooking and I’ve also had it on a table outside.

yes, and we’ve used it in France on a few campsites where they don’t allow bbqs, (after clearing it with reception and explaining it to them they said it was fine)

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp

yes, cleaning is a bit of a pain! I usually use some bbq cleaning spray on it and leave it for a little while before washing. Then it usually comes clean without too much effort. I shove it in the dishwasher when we get home after a trip away :LOL:

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Weber do a range of different sized BBQs. Expensive but very good. We've cooked all sorts in it but not tried chips! But chicken was really good.
We have webber and often do chips, sliced courgettes, sliced beetroot and very chunky steaks on it. The rotisserie is also excellent, we did the christmas goose on it last year.

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
We swapped our microwave for a dualit mini grill oven. It weighs less than 7 kg , on full power takes 1400w and 700w grill only or bottom only. From cold to 180C in less than 3 mins, thermostatically heat control, toast very fast on grill or 15-18 mins pizza in the oven. Can bake bread, chips, roasties etc. The only downside, you have to take it out on the work surface to use it.
Hi Raul,
I assume that the reason for having to take it out is that the sides & top are not insulated & hence get far too hot to use it built in?
Cheers
Clive

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Raul,
I assume that the reason for having to take it out is that the sides & top are not insulated & hence get far too hot to use it built in?
Cheers
Clive

Yes thats right, when i get a bit of time, i will take it apart and see if I can add some insulation to the sides, bottom and back, without obstructing the fan. It should make it even more efficient, the door is double glass. The top is a plate warmer, so i will leave that alone

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a Cobb and it's good but we don't take it with us when travelling for that reason - very awkward to clean. Home only now. :) If we had a garage you could store it uncleaned it might be different but with our PVC it has to live at the bottom of the wardrobe. Plus of course the problem of using solid fuel especially in southern Europe.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We have a Cobb and it's good but we don't take it with us when travelling for that reason - very awkward to clean. Home only now. :) If we had a garage you could store it uncleaned it might be different but with our PVC it has to live at the bottom of the wardrobe. Plus of course the problem of using solid fuel especially in southern Europe.
Big green egg for home. Lotus for trips. Lotus uses only a mug full of charcoal and you can bbq on a table, an hour after cooking the coals are sufficiently cold so not an issues with sites.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I believe there is a gas option for the Cobb now...we use the Cobb when plotted up for more than a week..as I can't be bothered to clean it every day...🤔

There are loads of options for cooking with it...roast spuds are ok.. whole chickens...best to use the tin foil disposable innner bit..

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Glad you took the bate! I agree bbq has become a generic term and nothing wrong with a gas bbq as it allows you to prepare food outside. I was simply emphasizing the difference in cooking over coals or wood which gives it that very unique flavor. Apologies if you thought I was criticizing you not my intention.

People misunderstand how a gas BBQ works, thinking that they are just "outside" ovens. In fact, all BBQs work the same way. The main heat/flavour source isn't the wood/charcoal etc., it is the fat given off by the meat as it cooks, which drips onto the heat source below and then burns. This means that gas BBQs produce food of very similar flavour and characteristics as a wood or charcoal BBQ. The wood/gas/charcoal is just a catalyst to get the whole thing started and only provide a very limited influence on the flavour.

Of course, they often like to get on their high horses and claim there is no difference between a gas oven (which does not burn any given off fat) and a gas BBQ. But they're completely wrong. A gas BBQ only becomes a gas oven when you collect the fat in a tray/plancha or suchlike, or are cooking non-fatty foods.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
People misunderstand how a gas BBQ works, thinking that they are just "outside" ovens. In fact, all BBQs work the same way. The main heat/flavour source isn't the wood/charcoal etc., it is the fat given off by the meat as it cooks, which drips onto the heat source below and then burns. This means that gas BBQs produce food of very similar flavour and characteristics as a wood or charcoal BBQ. The wood/gas/charcoal is just a catalyst to get the whole thing started and only provide a very limited influence on the flavour.

Of course, they often like to get on their high horses and claim there is no difference between a gas oven (which does not burn any given off fat) and a gas BBQ. But they're completely wrong. A gas BBQ only becomes a gas oven when you collect the fat in a tray/plancha or suchlike, or are cooking non-fatty foods.
You are so very wrong, the charcoal or Wood bbq provides the unique and the differentiated flavoring to the meat or fish. Not that I am used to cooking horses on the bbq.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You are so very wrong, the charcoal or Wood bbq provides the unique and the differentiated flavoring to the meat or fish. Not that I am used to cooking horses on the bbq.

If you think charcoal (an almost completely odourless material when burnt) adds anything to the flavour, you might well be fooling yourself. Some more aromatic woods such as cedar or apple might add a little something, provided you have a very tight lid to allow the smoke to linger, I very much doubt many actually BBQ in this manner (and such expensive wood chips can actually be added to a gas BBQ for similar effect).

The critical thing for a BBQ is that the run off fat has a chance to burn, the primary difference between oven and BBQ. Whether that is on the charcoal, wood, lava rocks or metal deflector plates, it makes little difference.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
If you think charcoal (an almost completely odourless material when burnt) adds anything to the flavour, you might well be fooling yourself. Some more aromatic woods such as cedar or apple might add a little something, provided you have a very tight lid to allow the smoke to linger, I very much doubt many actually BBQ in this manner (and such expensive wood chips can actually be added to a gas BBQ for similar effect).

The critical thing for a BBQ is that the run off fat has a chance to burn, the primary difference between oven and BBQ. Whether that is on the charcoal, wood, lava rocks or metal deflector plates, it makes little difference.
We totally disagree.

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
You've ordered the Weber which I'm sure you won't be disappointed with at all. I've had one for many many years and though I've always looked for alternatives to it's versatility I've never found one. Cadacs are just toys in my opinion :whew: It's true you do not need a regulator when using the van connection so no worries there. One complaint I have heard of the Weber is that the cast iron griddle doesn't get hot enough and sometimes this can be the case when your trying to sear more than a couple of steaks at a high temp. Filling the griddle completely can cool it somewhat but that is the only minus to this BBQ. To counter this I bought a Coleman adjustable regulator which goes up to 50mbar but for this you need an extra bottle. Having a 5kg roaming bottle is a good thing however as sometimes the sun or wind is on the wrong side of the van so you can move your BBQ around to wherever you want it without the restrictions of a length of hose. And please all you health and safety people....the BBQ just gets a bit hotter thats all.....no danger.

To roast in your Weber I suggest you take length of aluminium foil about one and half metres long and scrunch it up into a long sausage of foil....not scrunched tight but kind of loosely to about a normal sausage diameter. Then coil it up and put it on the griddle and then your roasting pan on top. This will prevent the bottom of your pan becoming too hot and burning though you still have to watch for this. I have an older Weber when the lid had less height, I believe the newer ones are a tad taller but investing in the rotisserie isn't a bad idea not necessarily for the rotisserie - I hardly ever use it - but for the extra height the surrounding stainless steel guard gives you. Quite large joints such as full shoulder of Lamb can be roasted this way and two large chickens no problem! For the winter time I put a large folded towel on the lid to help retain the heat. Probably should invest in an old style fire blanket for this but still alive so far.

I have some experience with feeding an Autistic Child so I do sympathise greatly on the challenging meal times. Texture is everything to them as I found out. Crispy Food seems to be favoured. At home I bought an Air Fryer in which I would fry slices of Parsnip for snacks which she loved! experimenting with different root vegetables in this with a bit of Olive oil was wonderful....! The air fryer mean't that producing crispy food was fairly odour free, quick and clean with minimal oil and safer also as no large amounts of hot oil hanging around. Fresh Cod generously coated with homemade bread crumbs - the dried stuff is far too small to get an attractive, crunchy coating to satisfy her - mean't she would eat some fish finally! On the other end of the texture scale was her favourite meal of boiled mashed potatoes blended with a healthy portion of fresh spinach cooked in a non stick pan with some butter. Either blended with a hand blender or put into a food processor. Proportionally it was two thirds spinach to one of potato....I love both these foods but this stuff tasted fairly awful without any other seasoning but she absolutely loved it! And ate it most days. I guess it may be the connection to early memories of baby food? Who knows.

I clean my weber....er....maybe....once a year? lol! Apart from after cooking where I give it a good scrub with a wire brush and then prior to cooking I wipe the griddle down with some oil on kitchen paper until the paper is almost coming off cleanish......I don't clean the rest of it at all until I decide to give it a good going over perhaps once a year. But then I mostly use it for roasting where I put the joint in a tin....but I also use it in the traditional way often but just not as much. Just line the drip tray with some Alu-Foil rather than the Weber trays, such cheaper. I have a large motorhome with underfloor storage where I keep it and eventually traced a strange musky smell to the Weber in the winter as the van heated up underfloor.....now I keep it in a custom made zipper bag which keeps any smells contained. Even if you clean it....it's a BBQ....it will have a scent.

That'll do....enjoy your Weber! You'll love it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back