LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Next month I have to travel with my 4.5 ton MH and box trailer from Munich to CERN near Geneva. I have not travelled in Switzerland for over 20 years, so am unfamiliar with the new gobox regs. I can take the long route and avoid Switzerland completely, but the shorter route would suit me better. The question is, if I set my satnav to avoid tolls and motorways, will I still require the gobox, even though am not on the Swiss motorway system.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Good morning Dave.

We had to traverse Switzerland in 2016, and were guided to filling out a form at the border, for Motorhomes over 3.5t. It cost us CH32.00 for an annual pass, allowing 10 x days travel on the motorways within the 12 months. Each day you make an entry on the form. I'm not sure how much extra it would be for the trailer though.
If you avoid tolls, but are inadvertently diverted on to them, due to road closure (eg, RTA/RTC fatality), you could incurr a heavy fine, for not having the correct documents, or a Go Box.

We were in the company of the chap who wrote this article.
https://www.motorhomevoyager.co.uk/know-how/how-to/swiss-motorway-tolls-larger-vehicles/

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Hi;

GoBoxes are for Austria not Switzerland.

In Switzerland private vehicles over 3500kg GVW (ie heavier motorhomes) are charged a tax, not a toll, on the duration period you are actually in the country, whether you use motorways or normal roads you will still be subject to this tax.

At the border, you need to go to the customs booth with your V5 and fill out a 'Heavy Vehicle Declaration' Form. They are always prominently available.

There are 4 different tariffs...

A daily fee of 3.25Chf (subject to a minimum fee of 25Chf).
A monthly fee of 58.50Chf.
A yearly fee of 650Chf.
A 10 'seperate day pass' fee of 32.50Chf. (This is usually the most cost effective option if you are just passing through Switzerland).

To use the 10 day pass you need to enter the day you intend to travel in one of the ten entries before you start driving, and so on until all 10 entries are used up, these do not have to be consecutive days. This pass is valid for a year from the day of stamping, so theoretically you can use it for several trips through the country within one calendar year.

Its also worth noting that this tax applies to all Swiss roads, not just motorways.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
We paid 26 Swiss Francs for an 8 day pass for our motorhome (3,850 Kgs) and was guided through the paper process by the border customs official - very helpful and friendly. He also helped our friends in their motohome (3.500 kgs) and worked out the cheapest rate for them. I can't remember how mush they paid bit I can remember that it was slightly more expensive for their van even though it was lighter than ours.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi;

GoBoxes are for Austria not Switzerland.

In Switzerland private vehicles over 3500kg GVW (ie heavier motorhomes) are charged a tax, not a toll, on the duration period you are actually in the country, whether you use motorways or normal roads you will still be subject to this tax.

Perhaps it is wrth clarifying that the duration of the period includes all days whether one drives on that day or is parked.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
My understanding is that the payment is in respect of each day the vehicle is actually in Switzerland. The form issued at the border has a section for the driver to complete for each day the vehicle is NOT in the country. On that basis I believe the charge to payable for any day that the vehicle is physically in Switzerland i.e. parked or driven.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
...The form issued at the border has a section for the driver to complete for each day the vehicle is NOT in the country....

Not quite correct, you fill in the boxes for every day you are actually IN the country.

Pete

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
We paid 26 Swiss Francs for an 8 day pass for our motorhome (3,850 Kgs) and was guided through the paper process by the border customs official - very helpful and friendly. He also helped our friends in their motohome (3.500 kgs) and worked out the cheapest rate for them. I can't remember how mush they paid bit I can remember that it was slightly more expensive for their van even though it was lighter than ours.
Your friends van at 3500kg would be slightly more expensive than your vignette but it would be for 12 months not 10 days.[/QUOTE]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back