Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm giving my camper to my brother and he will be based half the year in France. As such he'll need lots of gas as the daft bugger is spending the cold half there ;)

Mine's got the usual Calor gas bottles and regulator. Is it straight forward to change to a system he can use in both France and UK ?

Ta :)

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I believe English & French fittings have the same pigtails.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our van has a French regulator ( le voyageur)..i recently went to outdoor world to see if I could get a fitting for a calor gas bottle & yep!! It fitted..Hope this helps.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Other than refillables, you will need to use French cylinders when in France as the UK Calor ones are not available. The regulator should be fine, however as he intends to use the gas through the winter he will need Propane as Butane will freeze.
Cheers
Ed

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Calor bottles have a female socket whereas French bottles have a male connection, except some have clip on regulators so they are not comparable. There is an adapter available but get it whilst in Blighty because I have never seen them in France

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
He will find gas bottles of all shapes, sizes and types at most supermarket filling stations and the large and small brico's (DIY shops) usually have a good range of gas fittings. He can buy two 13Kg bottles for about €70 and if the fittings are different pop into a Brico' and get a fitting to suit then cut and attach to the flexible pipe.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Hello,
Assuming your van has the bulkhead mounted regulator you have very little to change.
Both normal French bottle connections are the same. They are male threaded & are the same as a UK Calor butane bottle. So all you need is a pigtail for Calor butane.
Hope this helps.
Barrie

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'm giving my camper to my brother and he will be based half the year in France. As such he'll need lots of gas as the daft bugger is spending the cold half there ;)

Mine's got the usual Calor gas bottles and regulator. Is it straight forward to change to a system he can use in both France and UK ?

Ta :)
Don't know where your brother is but I have a half full 13kg French propane bottle in my garage if he can collect from Eastbourne.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Don't know where your brother is but I have a half full 13kg French propane bottle in my garage if he can collect from Eastbourne.
That's very kind. He's in Leeds, but we'll bear it in mind.

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
My brother gave me a French cylinder from intermarche and an adapter which allows the standard uk propane pigtail to connect to it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If he is spending 6 months in France and 6 months in the UK there is only one sensible way to go and thats refillable bottles.

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We used to have Calor propane bottles for when in the UK and Le Cube propane french bottles when we were in France. We just swapped the bottles and the regulator over as necessary. Le Cube are widely available in France.

We now have Gaslow so have 2 Le Cube french propane bottles (one full and one part used) needing a new home if you are interested?

Whippetgood

Free Member
May 3, 2018
Funster No
We used to have Calor propane bottles for when in the UK and Le Cube propane french bottles when we were in France. We just swapped the bottles and the regulator over as necessary. Le Cube are widely available in France.

We now have Gaslow so have 2 Le Cube french propane bottles (one full and one part used) needing a new home if you are interested?

Whippetgood

Free Member
May 3, 2018
Funster No
Hi owned by collies
I am interested in your cubes - how much are you looking for?
Cheers
Jon

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Gas-it refillable bottles and a set of 3 international adapters.
Self fit, (fit the fill point OUTSIDE the locker) job done.
The only sensible option in my opinion.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back