Superdrug introducing fair use policy 23rd Feb. (2 Viewers)

RV-AL

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Twickenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Delaware
Exp
Since 2021
Perhaps I may not be up to speed on this, what's new, but my Vodafone contract is unlimited everything, can't tell you how much I pay for it corse it would p you all off but are you saying that it won't be unlimited in Europe anymore as I havnt heard anything.
I have the same and despite being unlimited it is limited to 25GB when roaming. I assume that is per month but maybe per trip. The text from Vodafone is not clear.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have the same and despite being unlimited it is limited to 25GB when roaming. I assume that is per month but maybe per trip. The text from Vodafone is not clear.
Per month but usually limited to 2 months I think ... haven't read the T&Cs for a while so best to check in case they change them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The EE charge is £2 per day or £10 per month as a roaming add-on option. You can start /stop the option when you like. I got roaming added on to my contract when I negotiated the renewal so if you are already with EE or moving to EE worth negotiating. Say “I’ll think about it” and wait for them to call you back!
It says you can use your plan allowance, no mention of a cap.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Its actually expats and those that wedged up in an overseas campsite for 10 or 11 mths of the year that has exasperated this situation and what the mobile networks have been attempting to clamp down on....how many of us have heard of folks getting relatives to buy and send mobile sims out to them..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
That’s a real shame. Activated my Superdrug sim on 31st December and been in Spain since 5th January. Used 72gb so far so 12gb will be useless. I’m glad I did not keep it in my phone and port my number but guessed this might happen. O-well only here until 19th March so we’ll have to use my wife’s Vodafone 100gb for the last three weeks.
Before anyone says you shouldn’t use so much data, Superdrug were marketing it as being unlimited data roaming. I’ll be cancelling on my return.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Its actually expats and those that wedged up in an overseas campsite for 10 or 11 mths of the year that has exasperated this situation and what the mobile networks have been attempting to clamp down on....how many of us have heard of folks getting relatives to buy and send mobile sims out to them..
Are you serious! I believe everyone knows why roaming charges have been introduced and it was announced shortly after we officially left our membership with the E.U.. Nothing to do with the amount of brits using data abroad, in fact the amount of data being used abroad has probably dropped considerably. More to do with giving share holders a bit more money by increasing profitability.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That’s a real shame. Activated my Superdrug sim on 31st December and been in Spain since 5th January. Used 72gb so far so 12gb will be useless. I’m glad I did not keep it in my phone and port my number but guessed this might happen. O-well only here until 19th March so we’ll have to use my wife’s Vodafone 100gb for the last three weeks.
Before anyone says you shouldn’t use so much data, Superdrug were marketing it as being unlimited data roaming. I’ll be cancelling on my return.
I will try them the next time we go abroad as I have a VPN that I can use on my phone and hopefully this will do the trick.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
I will try them the next time we go abroad as I have a VPN that I can use on my phone and hopefully this will do the trick.
Thanks, I’ll speak with my captive IT expert, son-in-law. Never thought of a VPN. I know the uses Nord for his business.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Like all things advertised as for expats they are expensive €25 for 35gb

For an unlimited data sim look at digi mobile €25 unlimited and allows 20Gb roaming.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Are you serious! I believe everyone knows why roaming charges have been introduced and it was announced shortly after we officially left our membership with the E.U.. Nothing to do with the amount of brits using data abroad, in fact the amount of data being used abroad has probably dropped considerably. More to do with giving share holders a bit more money by increasing profitability.
well you believe that....i'll believe what the Vodafone advisor told me.... oh and what i've seen with my own eyes seeing as we spent 5 yrs living in Spain & Portugal ... as with most things in life when folk start abusing things they get stopped..

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks, I’ll speak with my captive IT expert, son-in-law. Never thought of a VPN. I know the uses Nord for his business.
Would you post his response on here ? I know I can connect my mobile phone to a UK server (Shellfire) when in the UK and so should be able to connect when in the E.U. but what I don't know is will Superdrug know I'm in the E.U. when using there data and connected to a VPN that indicates I'm in the UK ? If this works ! I could use any unlimited UK data package abroad as my VPN service is a separate service.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016

For an unlimited data sim look at digi mobile €25 unlimited and allows 20Gb roaming.
It now says 55gb for €25 on the Lobster website. What's the digimobile coverage like?

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Would you post his response on here ? I know I can connect my mobile phone to a UK server (Shellfire) when in the UK and so should be able to connect when in the E.U. but what I don't know is will Superdrug know I'm in the E.U. when using there data and connected to a VPN that indicates I'm in the UK ? If this works ! I could use any unlimited UK data package abroad as my VPN service is a separate service.
As far as I know, you will be connected to the mobile network by your handset 'talking to' a mast in whatever country you are in. This is how your home network knows you are roaming and a VPN won't circumvent that - I think!!

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
J

Just been looking at this, and it looks like it's a contract as opposed to a SIM only pay per month, cancel at any time deal. Is that right?

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
It now says 55gb for €25 on the Lobster website. What's the digimobile coverage like?
Lobster says it's 55gb until the end of March.
Digimobile uses the movistar (telefonica) network in Spain unlike Vodafone I have not found anywhere it won't work, but there will be exceptions to every rule.
On Digimobile it's a rolling 30 day contract or paygo and you can swap between the different tariffs on your online account.
If your scroll to the bottom of the webpage you can select the info in English.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Lobster says it's 55gb until the end of March.
Digimobile uses the movistar (telefonica) network in Spain unlike Vodafone I have not found anywhere it won't work, but there will be exceptions to every rule.
On Digimobile it's a rolling 30 day contract or paygo and you can swap between the different tariffs on your online account.
If your scroll to the bottom of the webpage you can select the info in English.
Right just been on my Digi account Graham Connell and I think you are correct that the unlimited plan is on contract.
My account shows 40gb at 20 euros being the largest option. I have emailed them for clarification will post back when I have more details.

CAClase_Justin

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
VPN's only mask your device IP address tricking ISP's into thinking your device location is different from where it actually is this gives a secure breakout (often UK) connection very useful for banking apps and for now on demand video streaming however a VPN cannot trick the MNO (mobile network operator) from knowing you're roaming and any fair usage and roaming costs will still apply. FYI BBC iPlayer and other catch up services are already blocking some VPN providers so UK TV abroad will become harder to view via streaming. If anyone is really stuck DM us we can help.

Last edited:

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Right just been on my Digi account Graham Connell and I think you are correct that the unlimited plan is on contract.
My account shows 40gb at 20 euros being the largest option. I have emailed them for clarification will post back when I have more details.
Received a reply to my email to Digi

Thank you for your message.

We inform you that the product with unlimited internet is only available on contract, but it is without a permanent period, you can give up whenever you want. At prepaid, at most you can have 40 GB and unlimited calls in Spain or <Broken link removed> / international minutes.

If you have any questions or need additional information, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

DIGI Customer Service.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Received a reply to my email to Digi

We inform you that the product with unlimited internet is only available on contract, but it is without a permanent period, you can give up whenever you want. At prepaid, at most you can have 40 GB and unlimited calls in Spain or <Broken link removed> / international minutes.

If you have any questions or need additional information, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

DIGI Customer Service.
I asked the question of if I could contract for just a month or two and how do I cancel this is the reply.

Yes, you can cancel the contract whenever you want and you can contract again in a few months. The cancellation of the contract is done by confirming the personal data by calling us at 642642642.

Best regards,

DIGI Customer Service.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
France you need a local address a few Funsters have found they accept site addresses.
Not exactly true Lenny HB Free.fr has automatic kiosks/machines in Tabacs all over the place but usually in the large supermarket buildings. Their positions are on the mobile.Free.fr website. You pay by credit card and the sim is delivered immediately with a choice of number. It is charged to the card monthly.
Contrary to what was said above, I have found that the coverage is great all over France and the UK right up in the top of the Highlands, but the Data is limited to 25gb while roaming in France it is €19.99 per month for 210Gb per month and unlimited calls to and from the UK and within France. Unfortunately although it is "Sans Engagement" you have to cancel with a French Registered letter. And help is only available in French. Even my fluent French speaker friend found the helpline difficult and time consuming.
Steve

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
My apologies for going slightly off topic but because we are talking about the Superdrug internet offering. Has anybody else had problems connecting to secure sites like Banking and Government sites?
I have Superdrug for my UK internet access and am constantly thrown off these sites. Santander especially and when I phoned them they said they could see my IP address constantly changing so consider it as a suspect connection. But this doesn't happen when I use my French Free.fr sim which has limited data when using it in the UK.
When I contacted Superdrug they just said "Hard luck we are only resellers so can't help" and told me how to cancel the plan!
Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can't remember if used my Superdrug sim to access any bank accounts when in Spain or France but unless you have a fixed ip, the ip address will change each time you reconnect that even applies to home broadband. Although the ip will only change if the router is turned off or rebooted.
If you are connecting via a Mifi providing the Mifi is constantly on the ip shouldn't change should only when you reboot or power it off & on.

Just wondering if you have more than one cell mast in range and the Mifi is swapping between them, if that is the case a directional aerial might sort it.

Have a look at the Mastdata app.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My apologies for going slightly off topic but because we are talking about the Superdrug internet offering. Has anybody else had problems connecting to secure sites like Banking and Government sites?
I have Superdrug for my UK internet access and am constantly thrown off these sites. Santander especially and when I phoned them they said they could see my IP address constantly changing so consider it as a suspect connection. But this doesn't happen when I use my French Free.fr sim which has limited data when using it in the UK.
When I contacted Superdrug they just said "Hard luck we are only resellers so can't help" and told me how to cancel the plan!
Steve
I have no problem acessing my UK santander account on my sky mobile sim in Spain

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I can't remember if used my Superdrug sim to access any bank accounts when in Spain or France but unless you have a fixed ip, the ip address will change each time you reconnect that even applies to home broadband. Although the ip will only change if the router is turned off or rebooted.
If you are connecting via a Mifi providing the Mifi is constantly on the ip shouldn't change should only when you reboot or power it off & on.
Just wondering if you have more than one cell mast in range and the Mifi is swapping between them, if that is the case a directional aerial might sort it.

Have a look at the Mastdata app.
Hi Lenny,
I am using it in a Huawei B535 4G home router with an external directional antenna and never had a problem before getting the Superdrug sim at the beginning of December. I can't connect to Santander for more than a few seconds and when I phoned them she said she could see the IP constantly changing while we were speaking. Strange I know but had the same problem this morning when connected to the French government site .gouv.fr. It must be particular sites security because it doesn't happen with Nationwide.
It's not a disaster as I have only been using it for two months and the first was effectively free as they gave £20 worth of vouchers so I could buy my beauty products.
But I now need to find a good unlimited provider. I've looked at ASDA but they charge for all roaming it seems.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
first was effectively free as they gave £20 worth of vouchers so I could buy my beauty products.
I bet you look lovely now Steve.:rofl:

If your ip is constantly changing your internet would be dropping in & out whilst browsing not just on the bank sites, sounds a bit weird.

As you have a directional aerial have a look at Mastdata and see if there is another cell mast you can log onto & see what happens.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I have no problem acessing my UK santander account on my sky mobile sim in Spain
Thanks for that, I have just started looking at Sky to see what they offer. The problem may be as Lenny HB says I am probably hopping between two masts. When I was aiming it I couldn't get line of sight so went with signal strength but from mastdata it is possibly working on a reflected signal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back