Superdrug introducing fair use policy 23rd Feb. (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I’m sorry to say I’ve not much sympathy for fire stick users. It’s like campsite wifi, data roaming was never intended for streaming. We’ll stick with our dish, although if many more people start using Intelsat 901 maybe that will go as well. Another example of the few spoiling it for the many, 12Gb isn’t that much these days.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I’m sorry to say I’ve not much sympathy for fire stick users. It’s like campsite wifi, data roaming was never intended for streaming. We’ll stick with our dish, although if many more people start using Intelsat 901 maybe that will go as well. Another example of the few spoiling it for the many, 12Gb isn’t that much these days.
😝😜🤪😅😅😅.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
data roaming was never intended for streaming.
True, 3G wasn't, 5G is designed for streaming, and 4G is OK but may have problems. Data streaming is fine, for everyone except UK citizens who don't want to buy a local SIM

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
True, 3G wasn't, 5G is designed for streaming, and 4G is OK but may have problems. Data streaming is fine, for everyone except UK citizens who don't want to buy a local SIM
What's the downsides of buying \ using a local sim?:unsure:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Very true, but you didn’t mention roaming, which is where problems start to arise

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Best of luck with that! Internet and data streaming is the way forward and one only has to look at the amount of investment being pumped into this technology to understand why its the way forward. Enjoy what time is left for the satellite dish, for certain its days are numbered.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Best of luck with that! Internet and data streaming is the way forward and one only has to look at the amount of investment being pumped into this technology to understand why its the way forward. Enjoy what time is left for the satellite dish, for certain its days are numbered.
However, whilst mobile internet services continue to limit access in both capacity and service availability there will be a place for satellite services.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
That’s all well and good but until they cover every blank spot and all the out of the way locations where the phone signal is crap 💩
And there are plenty of places in the remoter parts of Spain as well as the U.K. where streaming is nigh impossible but where satellite will work .

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The amount of Funsters enquiring about data sim options and streaming is an indication of where we are heading. Simples !

OP
OP
ALI G
Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
Not many of us has the room or the money to put a huge sat dish on our roofs so it was a easy option to use a firestick. Having said that it'll be good to limit UK TV as it's too easy to just watch UK TV instead of the local Spanish stations which can be entraining. Also when we go the evenings will be longer so more time will be spent outside.👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we're away we hardly watch the goggle box and if we do it's pre-recorded or downloaded stuff from home, it is extremely rare for us to watch live TV at all when away and would normally only do so if we wanted to see a local weather forecast etc.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
When we're away we hardly watch the goggle box and if we do it's pre-recorded or downloaded stuff from home, it is extremely rare for us to watch live TV at all when away and would normally only do so if we wanted to see a local weather forecast etc.
We too use a media box (2T) and download films etc in the UK and then watch when in Europe. However, this prevents us from watching live TV and in particular live football matches, latest film releases etc via our firestick and streaming would be a great option if not restricted by roaming changes.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I fully accept all the advantages of mobile technology, BUT, they mainly apply within the particular coverage area of your supplier. Problems can arise when international roaming is involved.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
599 I find it hard to believe that the BBC could have so much influence over what Sky might wish to do. I wondered what the source of your information is. Hope it is factual and not just opinion. I am more inclined to think the zoning of the footprint is more to do with performing rights issues and in the case of Sky about maximising income.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Remember and let every other occupant of the site to access your sim for streaming!:whistle2::getmecoat:
Unfortunately we are going by car to stay in house with friends so there are only four of us to soak it up! Don’t think the elderly french lady next door has running water yet so she’s out.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
If we ever go back to France & Spain, we will be looking at a local sim. Does anyone know of a comparison site for local sims so we could work out the best deal? Also, do you need a local address? Thanks!

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I haven’t got an email yet hopefully as I been using mine since last May it might only apply to new users, I do however use a vpn and it doesn’t seem to show up in my data usage that I’ve used any and on my last trip to Croatia I used 200+ gb

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
I haven’t got an email yet hopefully as I been using mine since last May it might only apply to new users, I do however use a vpn and it doesn’t seem to show up in my data usage that I’ve used any and on my last trip to Croatia I used 200+ gb
I've used it for the last 2 winters in France, Spain and Portugal, last 3 weeks used 654Gb,Yes I know, got my message Yesterday...

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
I Believe O2 Business still has Roaming options included in plans if it helps anyone, although Uk coverage way behind other networks.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Agreed...even Sky themselves are now moving away from dishes with their new line of built in streaming TV's...

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Very true, but you didn’t mention roaming, which is where problems start to arise
Why is roaming a problem as said a few posts back people from other EU countries can roam freely they must outnumber brits abroad by a fair bit I can't believe were the only country where people use firesticks to watch their own counties TV. It seems like we moved forwards to a point where firesticks were superseding sat dishes but are now heading backwards.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've used it for the last 2 winters in France, Spain and Portugal, last 3 weeks used 654Gb,Yes I know, got my message Yesterday...
Have you ever thought that this might be one of the reasons why these roaming charges are coming in, ie due to heavy usage abroad? We have 200gb over 2 phone contracts which is our only medium to get internet (no land-line) and we never get close to using it all even at home.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have you ever thought that this might be one of the reasons why these roaming charges are coming in, ie due to heavy usage abroad? We have 200gb over 2 phone contracts which is our only medium to get internet (no land-line) and we never get close to using it all even at home.
I think we all know the reason for roaming charges coming in for UK people and not for those from other EU countries!!!!!

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you buy a sim card advertised as Unlimited Data , that's what you should get simple in my opinion. These companies however will always change the rules to suit themselves,that's just how it is and always will be.
Us minions just have to find the best deals available at the time 😅,but of course Minxy always keeps us up to date on that ,👍.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back