Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I paid Amazon £285.18 including taxes and delivery. American ticket inside shows $325.99, so definitely saved myself a lot of money by ordering in from the USA.

2F648A38-AFBE-4AA1-9D95-E618FD6C1CA5.jpeg

Jul 22, 2020
Newent, UK
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T6900
Exp
changing a load of things again
Saw that, but hoping to find a company that will supply and fit......at a reasonable cost. I’ve emailed a couple of Towbar / Air Suspension companies to ask, but had no reply.🤷‍♂️
have you had them fitted? if not where do you live? Happy to fit them for you

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
For those who have fitted the Sumo Springs, did it make much difference to the ride etc. Still undecided whether to try these or install air assist, but I want to do somthing in the next couple of months.
Thnx

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
For those who have fitted the Sumo Springs, did it make much difference to the ride etc. Still undecided whether to try these or install air assist, but I want to do somthing in the next couple of months.
Thnx

I fitted the Sumo front strut coil springs inserts which has raised the front of our van by 35mm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Literally just had a response from Van weight Engineering regarding Sumo Springs. I want to do something to the rear to allow me a bit more weight on the rear axle. Dee from VWE will not sign off any additional weight on the rear axles if I fit Sumo springs as he doesnt have the technical info from the manufacturers. So looks like Ill be messing about with feeding air pipes & drilling holes which was always Plan A.
He also mentioned that "some" people in UK who have fitted Sumo springs to their vans have failed the MOT. So another reason not to go down that route for me anyway.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am never happy about overstressing springs with rubber inserts, as it "can lead to premature failure"

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Literally just had a response from Van weight Engineering regarding Sumo Springs. I want to do something to the rear to allow me a bit more weight on the rear axle. Dee from VWE will not sign off any additional weight on the rear axles if I fit Sumo springs as he doesnt have the technical info from the manufacturers. So looks like Ill be messing about with feeding air pipes & drilling holes which was always Plan A.
He also mentioned that "some" people in UK who have fitted Sumo springs to their vans have failed the MOT. So another reason not to go down that route for me anyway.

Howard, they are perfectly legal and are Spring Assistors. Some MOT examiners say they are bump stops, but they’re mistaken. There is an article on here somewhere about them.

I sold mine to a member on here as I sold our van before fitting them.👍

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I spoke to my MOT station last year and confirmed as ’as long as they have been fitted correctly he would pass the Sumo spring assist ours, they are basically a quality bump stop’ so wouldnt believe what Van Weight engineering are telling you, I suspect they want to sell you some expensive air suspension! 🥴

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I spoke to my MOT station last year and confirmed as ’as long as they have been fitted correctly he would pass the Sumo spring assist ours, they are basically a quality bump stop’ so wouldnt believe what Van Weight engineering are telling you, I suspect they want to sell you some expensive air suspension! 🥴
VWE did say “some”owners had problems with MOT so that means a lot probably didn't.
Bump stops wont work for me as i want to raise the capacity of rear axle so need to go air assist.
As far as i know VWE don't sell expensive or any other suspension components.

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
They’re not bump stops, they’re spring assisters, that’s why MOT examiners fail vans…..they say they’re bump stops.

I’ll see if I can find the letter a member put on here about the matter.

Don’t ask me for the technical explanation, but bump stops have to have a gap between stop and spring. Spring Assisters don’t usual have a gap as they rest on the spring.

There is a UK distributor.👍

Jul 22, 2020
Newent, UK
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T6900
Exp
changing a load of things again
Thnx
the job for this weekend is to take my Sumo Springs OFF. i have fitted air assist to my last van and thought i would give Sumos a go. the ride is far to harsh. even little bumps would go straight through chassis and shake the van. so off with the smo and on will go air assist. that is my humble opinion.
Billy

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
How did you contact van weight engineering? I have emailed and used their Facebook page but have not had a response on 2 enquiries.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I use the email. Think Dee was away fir a few days, but he answered my mail earlier this week within a few hours.

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
Any updates on those of you who have fitted Sumo Springs recently?

Mar 18, 2020
Penrith Cumbria
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent
Exp
Since 2000
Fitted sumo springs front and rear on my Mercedes 316 last year. The van has a roof bed in a lofty high top. It had a tendency to sway quite alarmingly on roundabouts, high winds and from passing lorries. Now a much improved ride with hardly any swaying. A recommendation from me.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Any updates on those of you who have fitted Sumo Springs recently?
Fitted November '22.
Ducato 6.4. New van was sitting on bump stops, which Fiat claimed to be spring assisters. After fitting the rear Sumo raised 2cm and the progressive assist is noticeable.
Especially on our roads (who invented tarmac 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿) the difference is immense.
Certainly recommend the change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back