Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We're going to hit the NCC mid-week and see what PVCs are on offer. There's some nice stuff out there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
MY NEC Show Observations/lessons learnt/ Taught by Others:
Yes, I think The NEC show date being so close is the best option for you to view Vans, but try and stay in a temp CMC/CCC site overnight so you have two days to ponder and get the best deal from the sales reps from all UK providers.
Dealers prefer the Feb NEC show however, as it is the launch show for all the new models, therefore they get more orders (historically)
You should get "the show discount" normally 4K on top of any other offers, plus maybe some upgrade options thrown in also.
Be prepared to wait until mid year 2019 to get a "Bespoke" model of your chosen van, as it has to be made to your spec and they come out to dealers in appropriated batch order. Sometimes dealers do deals between each other to get the vans quicker if their allocation is not as early as you like.

Last point, but very important to us at least.
If buying a continental made van, e-mail some continental dealers for a quote. A few much more experienced regular contributing Funsters , would never dream of buying here in the UK and have made really significant savings for importing the vans themselves, especially with German makes.
The dealers are very competitive "over there" also at the shows and offer the usual" show discounts"
The strength of the pound/Euro rate is all important, so not the best time maybe to do a deal,as pound is low at present,unless they agree of course, a "fixed price" that you are happy with.

Apologies upfront @Blue Knight , not trying the "suck eggs" scenario, just things I have learnt over the last couple of years from experience of buying new vans at the NEC. (wish I had known it upfront, but this was our first ever MH)
It also reassuring knowing that you are a fellow OCD, so I know you will not listen to sales people, and will have researched most things before you go, and will have the appropriate questions ready for "Options & upgrades" to help get the van specked up the way you like it.
Wishing you every success at the show, try and have Fun doing it, be prepared to wait for the right one to be made for you.

Best wishes.

Les

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
@TinaL
Thanks for that- no intention of buying at the show, but will be having a really good sit-in and observe
Target time for swap is MID 2019 so that fits

Keep the info, suggestions coming

As regards IMPORTING, have any funsters imported and had any 'Warranty Denial' issues, on the conversion not the van?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not 100% convinced that PVC is ok for us
About 3 years ago we looked seriously at PVC's fell in love with a Font Verdome, but when we analysed it, we wouldn't want the bother of of trying to stuff everything into small storage area and didn't like the idea of a few grands worth of bikes hanging on the back. Since then we are on our 2nd A Class getting bigger each time, we made the right decision. :)
but if I was “brave” enough to import anything
Don't need to be brave just poor, we can't afford UK prices every van we have had we have imported and the last caravan we had before we saw the light we imported (40% cheaper Euro was 1.50). Current van with the extra £12k we got on trade in we saved around £25k.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
But have you encountered UK dealer resistance to help with any warranty, or have you been trouble free

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
But have you encountered UK dealer resistance to help with any warranty, or have you been trouble free
Last van we had warranty work done by the local Hymer dealer they weren't so keen with this one. Prefer to take it back to Belgium anyway as they don't quibble about warranty work. Went over last Monday & came back Tuesday to get a couple of warranty bits sorted. Also damp check in UK £130 to £180, Belgium £60.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Bump

I’m narrowed to:-
Globecar Campscout
Rapido V680 ( or sub brand)
Knaus 601(or sub brand)
Adria Twin SL but not Sun Living

Basically all the same, 2+1 berth,rear raised twin singles over ‘storage’ small dinette and compromised washroom
We reckon the way we ‘camp’ we spend no more than 20 minutes a day in our washroom between us...so will compromise

Help

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Update to post;-
Search is Over
We have bought an Adria Twin 640 SLB at the show....it is a March build slot

I can sleep now

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
What swung it for the Adria?

To be honest...no single thing
Dealer is quite close, and they have been SO helpful in the lead up search
Adria Duplex bathroom on the 19 model is a game changer
"Loft" space where there is no cross cupboard above cab and a mahoosive glass panel

But really well screwed together and a changeable build slot available

A couple of things minus ( isn't there always)
1 No spots at the head-end of the beds- can rig something up
2 Fiddly fresh water drain

And also a good/fair px price for mine

Cheers
CC57

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
To be honest...no single thing
Dealer is quite close, and they have been SO helpful in the lead up search
Adria Duplex bathroom on the 19 model is a game changer
"Loft" space where there is no cross cupboard above cab and a mahoosive glass panel

But really well screwed together and a changeable build slot available

A couple of things minus ( isn't there always)
1 No spots at the head-end of the beds- can rig something up
2 Fiddly fresh water drain

And also a good/fair px price for mine

Cheers
CC57
ps It was nearly the Rapido V68

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
ps It was nearly the Rapido V68
We were torn between the Globecar Campscout, the Rapido or the Adria. We looked at a few other vans with the similar layout, but they didn't make it to our shortlist.

At the time, the Family Travel Centre in Bristol were the Adria agent local to us and would have been very handy. But the prices they were quoting for what we wanted were a good 5k or 6k more than the others. And sadly, the company has since gone bust.

We'd had an old Rapido coachbuilt previously, before buying a new Chausson. So when it was time to get a PVC we turned to Highbridge Caravans, who are 20 miles down the motorway from us. They'd looked after the Chausson OK, and the price was right, so we went with them.

Truth be told, however, it was that Mrs mikebeaches fell in love with the 135 litre fridge - and that was it - decision made! ;) :)

Anyway, hope you enjoy the Adria when you get it. (y).

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We were torn between the Globecar Campscout, the Rapido or the Adria. We looked at a few other vans with the similar layout, but they didn't make it to our shortlist.

At the time, the Family Travel Centre in Bristol were the Adria agent local to us and would have been very handy. But the prices they were quoting for what we wanted were a good 5k or 6k more than the others. And sadly, the company has since gone bust.

We'd had an old Rapido coachbuilt previously, before buying a new Chausson. So when it was time to get a PVC we turned to Highbridge Caravans, who are 20 miles down the motorway from us. They'd looked after the Chausson OK, and the price was right, so we went with them.

Truth be told, however, was that Mrs mikebeaches fell in love with the 135 litre fridge - and that was it - decision made! ;) Anyway, hope you enjoy the Adria when you get it. (y). :)
Well, I will share a little scret with you
There is an option on the Adria, NOT ON THE PRICE LIST,so a lot of sales guys dont know about it, which allows the 90 litre fridge to be changed for a 146 litre one

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Well, I will share a little scret with you
There is an option on the Adria, NOT ON THE PRICE LIST,so a lot of sales guys dont know about it, which allows the 90 litre fridge to be changed for a 146 litre one
Cheeky!! That is a big for a pvc,

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

That’s a great shame, it was a nice place.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
After following this thread, and some other threads about PVCs we finally settled on the Rapido V55, making the deal at the show. We especially liked the shower bathroom set up. Free upgrade from 130hp to 150hp closed the deal. March build so watching the clock.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Update to post;-
Search is Over
We have bought an Adria Twin 640 SLB at the show....it is a March build slot

I can sleep now

I was incredibly impressed with the 640SLB. The built quality is tip-top.

I would probably pick that as the PVC star of the Birmingham show.

Very nice - enjoy (y)

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
After following this thread, and some other threads about PVCs we finally settled on the Rapido V55, making the deal at the show. We especially liked the shower bathroom set up. Free upgrade from 130hp to 150hp closed the deal. March build so watching the clock.
We loved the bathroom in the Rapido V55, but they dont do it in V68 ! and we wanted Twin longitudnal beds
Rapido also changed the dinette seating which is great as well
Roll on March eh!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back