Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
i have drained everything down as not using the van till after new year. The water pump runs all the time now the tank is completely empty is this normal? I have turned it off but if I turn it back on it again runs. Could this be because there is no water and the pump is trying to create back pressure up to the taps at which point it would stop?
Thanks in advance.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Have you left any taps or shower on close all taps then try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
glenn2926

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Tried it with taps both open and closed. The pump runs permanently as if it is trying to create pressure to the taps. At the moment I have left the taps open.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
There in an option to "isolate" the pump on my panel... And allow everything else to operate...

I also seem to remember being shown around a NEW dealer van and the pump was running "dry" until he turned it off.. So I'll go with @hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Tried it with taps both open and closed. The pump runs permanently as if it is trying to create pressure to the taps. At the moment I have left the taps open.

There are two types of pump, one that uses normal taps and stops pumping on back pressure build up ( yours I think ) and the pump activated by a switch in the taps.

OP
OP
glenn2926

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Thanks all, I have isolated the pump on my control unit this leaves everything else working as normal so it sounds as if everything is ok with the water pump. I could always put some water in it to see if that stops the pump running but it is cold out there so I thought I would ask the font of all knowledge that is fun.
Cheers Glenn.

Feb 9, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon R
Exp
I think maybe you should not be running pumps with no water in system could possibly burn pump out.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think maybe you should not be running pumps with no water in system could possibly burn pump out.
As witnessed by myself ( water dumped one night a couple of years ago... Did not realise it had been cold enough )
I had left all the electrics on as well ( doing that sodding floppy step issue I had ) so the pump ended up running for about a week..
Just recently someone on here did something similar and like me, had no lasting ill effects

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
i have drained everything down as not using the van till after new year. The water pump runs all the time now the tank is completely empty is this normal?

Yes, very, mine does the exact same thing. I too have a "pump switch" on my control panel :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The Sureflow type pump can be run dry for a bit without damage. I accidentally ran mine for a fortnight a couple of years back and it still works.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If you're draining down for frost protection, leave the taps open with mixer taps at the halfway between hot/cold position. Put the showerhead on the floor so it drains. Run your pump for a couple of minutes to clear as much water out of the pipes as you can and that should be okay. Some people use a device that blows excess water out but I've never bothered.

Don't forget to drain the waste (grey) tank and leave the tap open (a quick drive round will fully empty it). Also your WC cassette; give it a good clean out, drain it and leave the flap open.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It's the same on my motorhome.

The pump has an isolator switch exactly for that reason i.e. So that it doesn't have to run continually when the tank is drained down. This was pointed out to us by the dealer on handover.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Oops, forgot in my earlier post, very important. Drain down your hot water boiler too - there will be a drain tap situated quite close to it which you should leave open, but don't forget to close it when you come to refill with water.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Trying to pump air, instead of water put the pump switch off.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Put the showerhead on the floor so it drains..

Which mine did not and blew the valve apart. Blow down the shower head to clear the valve. Not a bad idea on any taps you manage to get to.

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
My electric water heater turns on automatically when Moho plugged in to mains.

I have drained my water and plugged in to mains to charge battery after our last trip so turned off water heater mains switch on fuse box under the bed box.

Sure not all vans same but worth checking as heater may burn out with no water to heat.

Just a thought, better safe than sorry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back