Storage precautions.... any advice? (1 Viewer)

David M Franks

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 165
As a total noob, I welcome any advice from any of you seasoned Funsters.
I now need to lay up our MH for around six weeks, as I'm being sent abroad on business. Sod's Law - I was so looking forward to our first adventure.

The previous owners advised that leaving the windows open a tiny bit will stop the thing smelling fusty. And I've turned the fridge off but opened the door. I'm slightly worried about the leisure battery, as I can't yet plug in the mains adaptor thingy. The water tanks are all drained. But if there's anything else that I can do, please chime in!

Thanks
Dave

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Can't advise on the two things you mention as mine has solar panels .. hence I opted for outside storage.

The windows open bit bothers me too as my biggest fear is mice .. having had that experience I do EVERYTHING advised on this forum to keep them out ..

Also, remember you can SORN your van if it offroad.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If your storage is secure. I would recommend disconnecting the neg lead off both sets of batteries this will prevent them from draining whilst your away. This will immobilise your alarm system should you have one fitted. Crack open two vents as far apart as possible to allow air to pass through which will prevent condensation. Chock one wheel with your levelling blocks and leave your handbrake off. Open all dors and cupboards to allow air to circulate. You may as well drain of all your water to be on the safe side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't leave the loo cartridge flap fully closed in storage as this compresses the seal unnecessarily and reduces its lifespan. Back it off a bit. If the cartridge is empty it's not a hygiene issue.

On the rodent front, assume they might get inside and do whatever you can to stop them getting above habitation floor level. For example I remove the fabric magazine holder on one of our seat lockers so they don't have a ladder. As a precaution you could wedge some B&Q type bait block containers under the front wheels outside the van, and maybe one in the cab near the passenger foot well. I don't want to invoke rodent paranoia, but they routinely got into our last MH via the engine bay when it was in storage. Opening the hab door and finding an ex-mouse on the step was not unusual.

On this basis, don't leave easily gnawed food within reach of the floor, or cutlery and food containers where they can do their business on them.

I'd leave the top vents open slightly rather than the windows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
.... also, if you intend possibly using your mh in winter and so don't want to drain your tanks, you will need to counteract the automatic drain which most vans have. Mine is at 8 degrees, and I have to put a clothes peg on the release button to stop it activating. .. don't know if you would need that in storage but certainly when you go off for Winter weekend.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Also re rodents ... look on floors of cupboards .. especially low down ones .. you would be surprised how mice get in ... Use Brillo pads to seal holes .. mice hate them ... I had to block one of their entry points which was the cupboard under the bathroom sink where the pipe comes up to the sink ... no probs since I stuffed brillo pads into the gap. Sorry .. didn't want to turn this into a mouse thread but this is a bad problem with some of us.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Buy one of those cheap solar panels that trickle a bit of lecky back to the battery via the cig socket if you do leave the battery attached.
Empty all food stuffs from cupboards unless its in tins or jars.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
We follow all the above in addition have a battery operated rodent scarer at each end of the van and drop peppermint oil soaked pieces of cotton wool around

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David M Franks

David M Franks

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 165
A massive thank-you to all of you.
There's stuff here I would never have thought of. Very much appreciated. This must be the friendliest and most entertaining forum on the whole web!

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If you have an alarm, immobiliser or tacker fitted they can sometimes flatten the engine battery in a few weeks. A modest portable solar panel is my solution.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I suppose I should add that in the winter months those moisture collectors with crystals in are handy, but best left in the sink in case they get too full.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back