Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Copied from FB. Unfortunately, no Reg given but it is a very distinctive van

HELP!!! It's with total heartbreak to announce that our race motorhome has been stolen from a security gated premises in Oxford, with the van alarmed, steering wheel locked, pedals locked, and wheel clamped. Both my boys Junior TKM Tony Kart Viper karts were onboard, chassis numbers OY26991 and BY77701. Engine numbers BT73107 and 7526T. Please share in the hope of getting it back. I'm not only devastated for the loss of van and equipment but seeing the heartbreak of my boys. šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

1633039319064.png

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
šŸ˜ž. Easy for me to say now ,but leaving expensive equipment in a Ford transit of that age is not a great idea . That said he probably didnā€™t have anywhere else to store them . Gutted for the kids .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
ā€œmotorhome has been stolen from a security gated premises in Oxford, with the van alarmed, steering wheel locked, pedals locked, and wheel clamped.ā€

Thatā€™s a very determined effort . Were they after they motorhome or the carts ?

They have had to enter the premises , unlock secure gates and remove 3 devices . Either extremely determined or some might suggest ( not me) a possible insurance scam .

edit

It seems these criminals will actually break in to secure premises and cut off any locks they need to !

Last edited:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
ā€œmotorhome has been stolen from a security gated premises in Oxford, with the van alarmed, steering wheel locked, pedals locked, and wheel clamped.ā€

Thatā€™s a very determined effort . Were they after they motorhome or the carts ?

They have had to enter the premises , unlock secure gates and remove 3 devices . Either extremely determined or some might suggest ( not me) a possible insurance scam .

edit

It seems these criminals will actually break in to secure premises and cut off any locks they need to !

Probably not a good idea to store a moho/caravan/anything where thereā€™s a JCB telehandler there. They are the crooks favourite machine to do mischief šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Is it only motorhomes on a transit base?
or any transit?
id hate mine to get pinched(touch wood)
ive spent a bit on it and just had a towbar put on it !
ooh i HATE thieves
that family must be heartbroken

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

edit

That particular video the thief knew the site as he new exactly where the security camera is. Modern battery powered hand tools make short work of many locks too. I have a Japanese cable cutter and will slice through security cables like butter. Making thick security cables almost useless.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
or any transit?
ooh i HATE thieves
Not just motorhomes ...lots of self builds too , one on Facebook wasn't even finished . Im convinced that many are being stolen for parts .... engine will be in a pickup tarring driveways next week

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
or any transit?
ooh i HATE thieves
Trannies are far easier to nick than Fiat's, It took the scum a few years to get over the Fiat immobiliser a few do get nicked now but nowhere as many as Trannies. Also a certain community favour Trannies.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

edit

What a clear CCTV clip. Let's guess - which nomadic community uses old Transit vans with towbars and has a reputation for stealing caravans? Their van reg plate was clearly visible so you might reasonably expect that van to have been tracked with ANPR and the burglars arrested. All 3 of them.

Mar 10, 2019
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
I take it your comment is from a position of personal knowledge or evidence. I think Pc Andrew Harperā€™s family would dispute your point of view, as do I.
I doubt it was meant in that way, with respect to PC Harper, they get away with too much, an understaffed force cannot cover much now a days, maybe we need a bright spark to invent a proper deterrent, with the advanced electronics world must be possible, seems all on market can be got around somehow.

Maybe an insurance backed initiative.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The police aren't interested in looking for stolen campervans they just issue a crime number and advise victims to use social media to make it that well known in the hope the theif abandons it.

Most often by that stage its already on a ferry to Ireland.

If a member of the public should happen to find it for them they might send someone out to investigate but generally they are too busy stopping kids on e scooters and fining them

There was a very distinctive silver transit camper stolen 6 weeks ago and the owner has been documenting the police action etc on a Facebook self build group ....some of the comments the police have made are laughable. They basically told him within an hour of reporting it stolen that they wouldn't be looking for it and to prepare himself for never seeing it again .

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Is there a straightforward way to fit an isolator switch on a transit esp as the battery is in the driver's seat?

Cheers James

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The older Transit (3rd generation, made to 2014) was very vulnerable. I believe the current one is about as easy to nick as a Fiat.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I take it your comment is from a position of personal knowledge or evidence. I think Pc Andrew Harperā€™s family would dispute your point of view, as do I.
The community i am talking about have carte blanche to do as they please fact. Recently stole my mates van trailer and digger. Traced back to their camp via tracker . Police wouldnā€™t help he went to retrieve it himself nearly lost his life had his shoulder broken with a machete and they almost ran over him.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Fine humans. As discussed many many a time just got to either slow them down or obd lock . As mentioned early transits most at risked

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The thieves must have previously visited the storage site.

My sister runs a kennels and will not allow folks to inspect anymore, telling them to look at her website. Recently had someone turn up in a pickup truck wanting to 'look round'.

Bad enough losing your motorhome - far worse losing your pet.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
The older Transit (3rd generation, made to 2014) was very vulnerable. I believe the current one is about as easy to nick as a Fiat.
Thanks that's reassuring mine mk8 so post 2014.

Cheers James

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There was another 'van (this time a PVC) reported as stolen overnight last night from Headington, Oxford.
Let's be careful out there, folks.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
If I remember right they didn't change to reasonable anti theft security until the 2020 model (no idea what mk that is), I'm sure I've read on this forum over the past couple of years that insurance companies would not insure transit based motorhomes without a tracker being fitted

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The community i am talking about have carte blanche to do as they please fact. Recently stole my mates van trailer and digger. Traced back to their camp via tracker . Police wouldnā€™t help he went to retrieve it himself nearly lost his life had his shoulder broken with a machete and they almost ran over him.
Wow! I am sickened by their actions, itā€™s not right that they should be untouchabie.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
They are stealing them at all ages unfortunately ...2017 taken last week from someones driveway

OP
OP
Potty
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Wow! I am sickened by their actions, itā€™s not right that they should be untouchabie.
Unfortunately this is not a new problem. Over 20 years ago a friendā€™s fatherā€™s caravan was stolen. A couple of days later my friend saw and followed the van which was taken into the local travellersā€™ site. Police refused to enter to investigate.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

edit

They've obviously been there before. Can't be 'secure' if they can get in & spend all that time doing that.
or any transit?
Any transit
The older Transit (3rd generation, made to 2014)
which is mark 6 & 7's
sorry to hear about mate but you don't go anywhere near them unless you are prepared for war , & to start it without discussion.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Unfortunately this is not a new problem. Over 20 years ago a friendā€™s fatherā€™s caravan was stolen. A couple of days later my friend saw and followed the van which was taken into the local travellersā€™ site. Police refused to enter to investigate.
Yes, stories like this are all too common and shame on the police for it. If they need extra support, which is fair enough given what they would face, there should be some sort of military backup.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back