Stolen Motorhome - Oxford (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Yes, stories like this are all too common and shame on the police for it. If they need extra support, which is fair enough given what they would face, there should be some sort of military backup.

One partial solution would be to repeal legislation that designates gypsy and Irish traveller as a separate race. That would prevent knee-jerk accusations of racism whenever the Police try to do their job.

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
Is it only motorhomes on a transit base?
or any transit?
id hate mine to get pinched(touch wood)
ive spent a bit on it and just had a towbar put on it !
ooh i HATE thieves
that family must be heartbroken
Ours was a 2010 Tourneo - ex Ford's own vehicle so it all the whistles and bangs.
But they didn't get the seats because we'd taken them out. Not much consolation.
We replaced it with a 2012 Tourneo - but this one lives behind a bollard, has a proper key-type lock (protected by a s/s strengthened plate), a pedal box and a tracker. Overkill - I think not.

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes, stories like this are all too common and shame on the police for it. If they need extra support, which is fair enough given what they would face, there should be some sort of military backup.
Why military back up. Having deployed quiet a few times for this country I would be very careful about backing up the police. For one thing the military are not made to "Keep the peace" they are to win the fight.
If the "Do as You Likeys" get injured by a military person the UK government has, and will, throw you to the wolves when they sue the squaddie.
The police have riot gear, they have guns, they just need the senior officers to grow a pair and allow them to be used and a plod to use it.
But I won't hold my breath with the UK plod in 2021.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Why military back up. Having deployed quiet a few times for this country I would be very careful about backing up the police. For one thing the military are not made to "Keep the peace" they are to win the fight.
If the "Do as You Likeys" get injured by a military person the UK government has, and will, throw you to the wolves when they sue the squaddie.
The police have riot gear, they have guns, they just need the senior officers to grow a pair and allow them to be used and a plod to use it.
But I won't hold my breath with the UK plod in 2021.
I am not defending the no action, but it maybe that a stollen Caravan is not the prize the police are looking for, it just maybe they are in the process of a bigger operation that will take the thieves off the streets for a long while.

In the meantime the insurance company should be notified where there asset is (assuming the MoHo or Caravan is insured and they are going to have to cover the loss) and get ready to file a complaint via the Chief constable and Insurance ombudsman as the Caravan/MoHo owner will have to pay a bigger premium even though police and Insurance company know where the asset is located.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Iid hate mine to get pinched(touch wood)
ive spent a bit on it and just had a towbar put on it !
Don’t wait til the horse has bolted then. Why not get either OTT or Vanbitz alarm installed, although different both as good as each other I think.

Jun 19, 2013
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Mmm Transits stolen i wonder who have stolen them. Unfortunately they are untouchable police are scared of them.
Uhm! Pretty much an uninformed opinion you have there. Scared. I think not. That criminal element of society you refer to pretty high on the agenda of most cops.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
If I remember right they didn't change to reasonable anti theft security until the 2020 model (no idea what mk that is), I'm sure I've read on this forum over the past couple of years that insurance companies would not insure transit based motorhomes without a tracker being fitted
Mk9 I believe....

Cheers James

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Why should the police risk injuries, or worse, for a motorhome or caravan? Injure a member of the great British public and our learned friends will have a field day and you still won't have your van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back