Stolen from London (4 Viewers)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I think it unlocks the door and turn's the alarm of so they have plenty of time to play

Exactly. Unlocking the door turns of the Ford "alarm", the same tool can be used in the ignition. You them reprogramme the vehicle to accept a new transponder (under £5 on eBay) and DRIVE AWAY.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is a better video that explains how the thieves do it. I think the best solution is an additional deadlock and a lockable cover on the OBD port. It also shows why on the CCTV they sat in the van for a while before driving away.

I don't think replacing the lock on it's own is enough to be honest as I have seen fords having a hole punctured in the door with a screwdriver and them then manually pulling the locking mechanism to unlock the door. It was even faster than in this video.

I have been watching BosnianBills videos for a while. If you are interested in lock picking he is worth subsribing to.
https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
I have a transit based hymer and have replaced the drivers side lock with a hykee, I have disconnected the passenger side lock so can only be unlocked from the inside. I have a pedal box that locks the brake and clutch peddles. I also have a sigma s30 alarm that is not deactivated by the central locking, so would still be armed even if they got in. If someone wanted it badly enough they would still find a way, all you can do is make it as hard as possible so they move on to the next one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
We may be getting a bit carried away here! All you can do is slow the thief down, so a Garrison-type door lock is useful, as are steering and wheel locks etc.. The switch under the dashboard is so obvious, every thief will recognise it and bypass it in seconds. Most of the MH-specific extra security door locks will succumb to a well placed crowbar and, easiest of all, the windows will soon crack to a probing screwdriver. Alarms help, but when did you last see a passer-by respond to a vehicle alarm, other than looking and shaking their head?

Just be realistic, do what you can, choose where you park and don't be unaware of the risks. Ford/Ducato/Mercedes? Can they resist something as simple as the Tennis Ball trick and then cancelling any alarm in the usual(?) way?

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
A trip to Vanbitz for a decent alarm/immobiliser with text message function is the most obvious solution and it's not even that expensive.
This isn't news - aftermarket cat1 alarm/immobilisers have been the best protection for getting on 20 years!
Today's alarms give you a great opportunity to stop theft of vehicle, even if they steal the keys (the primary weakness of older systems), as you have the ability to remotely access the alarm from your phone.
CCTV, extra door/window locks, steering locks and other mechanical deterrents will deter a thief as much as a polite notice.
I'm not even convinced that removing relays will work, they're only a few quid to buy and I suspect that the thieves have plenty of transit spares available...

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought that "the tool" gauges the lock and enables a "temporary" key to be made. Therefore it is usual for these thefts to be of vans that are parked for longer periods, so locks are gauged one day and taken at a later time. Hence a "pre-prepared" key
Nope it has a seies of sleeved pieces that turn and lift the tumblers there are amny combination and it does them in a few seconds.
I WONDER WHO? might want a van with 6 seat to carry around their herd, it will be the usual suspects from over the water to the WEST. They find they need a different licence to pul big caravans nowadays.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
One way is to fit a hidden switch bettween the 12v supply to the fuel solenoid which prevents it opening to allow diesel to injector pump, no diesel, no go anywhere!!

Peter

Even better is 3 switches :D

Does anyone have any idea where all these stolen motorhomes end up ?
Also, the CCTV does a lot of pan and zoom which is really useful in this video, is that an automated feature of modern systems ?
ie zoom in and track moving objects. Leaves my ancient system in the dark ages, maybe time for an upgrade !
Hope the scumbags rot in hell

I was reading an article that stated that some gangs are so slick they can steal, strip , in container & on its way abroad in less than 60 minutes ! Even I struggle with that time scale.o_O

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
One way is to fit a hidden switch bettween the 12v supply to the fuel solenoid which prevents it opening to allow diesel to injector pump, no diesel, no go anywhere!!

Peter
If they cant start the engine, the only alternative is to tow it away, no engine, = no brakes, no power steering.

They would then need a tow truck or flat bed.

Yes good alarm from Eddie helps but 'no start' is dead cheap and quick.

Ask you local garage to fit a hidden switch if you are not capable but dont forget where it is and tell your service people where it is if you need work done !!

Peter

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
For a quick and easy disruption of the starting circuit, just remove this fuse from the engine bay fuse box.
20170427_172017.jpg

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Nope it has a seies of sleeved pieces that turn and lift the tumblers there are amny combination and it does them in a few seconds.
I WONDER WHO? might want a van with 6 seat to carry around their herd, it will be the usual suspects from over the water to the WEST. They find they need a different licence to pul big caravans nowadays.
I think you're looking the wrong way. It's highly unlikely to be travellers but more likely eastern European gangs who are looking for parts. Remember motorhomes are the tip of the transit iceberg here.
Sprinters were and still are a favourite and depending on the year.. just as easy.
These vans rarely turn up... trackers often don't find them ... this is often because they are stripped within hours.
Every so often a container of engines/gearboxes/axles etc is seized on its way somewhere.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Surely they will get them ? Their faces were on the cctv..? Or do I just watch too much tv.. :(

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We may be getting a bit carried away here! All you can do is slow the thief down, so a Garrison-type door lock is useful, as are steering and wheel locks etc.. The switch under the dashboard is so obvious, every thief will recognise it and bypass it in seconds. Most of the MH-specific extra security door locks will succumb to a well placed crowbar and, easiest of all, the windows will soon crack to a probing screwdriver. Alarms help, but when did you last see a passer-by respond to a vehicle alarm, other than looking and shaking their head?

Just be realistic, do what you can, choose where you park and don't be unaware of the risks. Ford/Ducato/Mercedes? Can they resist something as simple as the Tennis Ball trick and then cancelling any alarm in the usual(?) way?

I always thought the Tennis Ball Trick, was urban myth.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ive fitted ban up-dated lock (hykee) with a larger bezel to prevent it being pulled out and an obd box. Garrison recommended a big stailess plate around the lock but the hab door is so flimsy they would just get in that way!!!. As previously said all you need to do is make it easier to nick the next one instead of yours.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
What about the immobiliser, thought that was supposed to stop it being started?

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
Another Ford Transit based van, i will never buy one of these, Ford should be made to come up with some sort of system to change their locks!
As the owner of a Transit based moho I found this to be a bit alarming, to say the least. Have contacted my supplier and the local Ford dealer who both think this is strange. If they broke in then the alarm should have gone off, and if that failed then the van shouldn't start unless you have the correct ignition key which switches off the immobiliser. What year was the van in the video? I can only assume it was an older version.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Recently saw a van where the step folded up over the bottom of the habitation door. I thought this was a good idea to help prevent break ins.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As the owner of a Transit based moho I found this to be a bit alarming, to say the least. Have contacted my supplier and the local Ford dealer who both think this is strange. If they broke in then the alarm should have gone off, and if that failed then the van shouldn't start unless you have the correct ignition key which switches off the immobiliser. What year was the van in the video? I can only assume it was an older version.
The van is being opened using a locksmiths key , which can adjust all the tumblers to be exactly the key that is required .
Once done , & the lock is opened, the alarm will not go off as it has been opened with the correct key.
Once inside a laptop/tablet with a lead connected to the OBD port reader is plugged in . The same key with tumblers not moved from opening the door is then inserted in to the ignition where the computer either tells the ecu that the 'key' is the correct one with corresponding chip ,or tells the ecu that a new key & transponder is being coded. Either way allows the vehicle to be started & driven away.

It has taken me longer to type this than it would for them to do the above & drive away.
I'd be worried if the supplier of your van & dealer hadn't heard of it as 15 of them disappear every day with 5 never being recovered.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Any Ford, let alone the Transit ( that has a physical key ), can be opened in a few seconds with a universal key, available for about £20 all over the place, even openly sold on eBay

And the immobiliser ? Just use a device that plugs in to the OBD port and the immobiliser is no longer an immobiliser ..
Your dealer is either living in cloud cuckoo land, or more likely just taking the official line and pretending he knows nothing !
Either way he should be avoided like the plague 'cos he is either a bloody liar or a bloody fool

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I bought an OBD interface lead for 16 quid delivered off EBay.
Downloaded the the Ford IDS software for free online and now have all I need, save for a 30 quid tibbe pick to nick any Ford car I want.
I procured these items to check out another fault I have on the van.
Secure is not the word I would use to describe Ford's vehicles. If I had any Ford, I would be inclined to secure the OBD port, of even cut it off and insert an alternative Molex minifit connector pair or similar.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
In light of the advice from you good folk I have begun my security upgrades. First and easyist one being Big vinyl stickers on the roof of the registration number, which I've just done. I'll take advice from a motor shop I know of not too far away re the Reploks and immobiliser situation. Probably investigate the tracker situation too. We had one when we owned a caravan (came with it as a package deal). Getting paranoid, moi? Nah! :eek:

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Whether CCTV is useful in finding suspects comes down to various things but key is the definition of the footage and where it's sited. Identification of faces is down to someone recognisng them. Be aware of the need to get the vehicle VRM when siting the CCTV and as good a close up facial shot as you can.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Surely they will get them ? Their faces were on the cctv..? Or do I just watch too much tv.. :(

You do watch too much TV :D2. What you seen in the footage is an image -of- a face, but a recognisable face, no. Facial recognition software only works works with high definition images and a database of such images. What we see in csi 24 etc is just fantasy. In 20 years time it will all be very different but I'm afraid the footage in Facebook just looks like a record of the event to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back