Fiat Ducato Extra Locking & Security Devices (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have installed the pro plates and it was a straightforward job.

I have also installed the heosafe deadlocks that can only be operated from inside the vehicle so you lock the vehicle when you leave it or when you go to bed but you must not leave them locked when travelling. Very pleased with them and they come with 4 keys.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
My best security device - I turn the seat to face backwards and through a hole drilled in the base-plate I have fitted a lock.
You cannot drive it, the position of the lock means it cannot be removed and the seat cannot be turned.
Cost: 1 x lock and one hole.
I may get robbed blind but they will not get my van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I've also fitted the proplates, one on each of the doors with a key lock. Easy enough albeit a bit fiddly at times - they have a video on youtube which helped. The sealant they supply is white - I guess due to the fact that the majority of vans (commercial and motorhomes) are white so bought a black one as our van is a dark grey.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
My best security device - I turn the seat to face backwards and through a hole drilled in the base-plate I have fitted a lock.
You cannot drive it, the position of the lock means it cannot be removed and the seat cannot be turned.
Cost: 1 x lock and one hole. I may get robbed blind but they will not get my van.
Hi Alan,
I have just been out in my van looking to do the same thing to the driver's seat. Can I ask where you drilled the hole?
Having had a Ford stolen as well I understand where you are coming from!!

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Cost: 1 x lock and one hole.
I may get robbed blind but they will not get my van.

Same here (y)
Quick, easy, cheap & very effective (y)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I do wish you lot would stop talking about security so much ... it's scary :(

What is becoming clear is that there is no such thing as security, because every measure has a counter measure, and if they REALLY want your van (not mine obviously (y) ) then they'll find a way to get it. Having the key (by breaking into your house) pretty well defeats most systems, as does lock picking/bouncing and as the van is only as secure as the weakest point (windows?) there will always be a way of getting in regardless of door security. An industrial strength bolt cutter or grinder will deal with any wires/locks/braces fitted, especially if they don't care about a bit of damage, and if all else fails they'll just drag it onto the back of their mates flat-bed. Sigh. :oops:

I'm beginning to think that the only security worth it's cost is a really loud siren attached to movement sensors and electrics. It won't necessarily stop them but at least it may slow them down and will alert you or your neighbours to what is going on. :unsure:

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It's all just a deterrent in the hope that they move on to the next easier target - just realised that posting & so raising awareness of this isn't necessarily in our best interests in that case! :eek:
Agree that the windows are a weak point even with Lock M Out devices & Milenco Sleep Safe alarms ( oops I'm doing it again! :giggle:) but some van conversions now have more secure aluminium framed windows so hopefully they will all change to this eventually.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years

Personally, I wish people would stop taking about Transits in every other thread, it seems their well publicised vulnerability may result in our all paying higher insurance premiums

Let's be honest here, a really determined thief will get into any vehicle. If a particular security accessory isn't recognised by your insurers, and a discount given (or insurance granted conditional on its being fitted) then I wouldn't waste your money. Remember, it only takes seconds to break a window, and it's the glass/plastic that's the vulnerable point, not the frame

Putting foam in the OBD port is bloody madness. They are there and they are accessible for a reason

Strikeback/growler are recognised and very well respected systems. Anything with a Thatcham approval is good. Trackers are useful to a point, but you are insured against theft, would you really want your van back after it has been in the hands of these people for more than 5 minutes? I know I would have to think twice about it

M/H should be a form of recreation, a hobby or a way of life, not a constant source of worry

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

What is becoming clear is that there is no such thing as security, because every measure has a counter measure, and if they REALLY want your van (not mine obviously (y) ) then they'll find a way to get it. Having the key (by breaking into your house) pretty well defeats most systems, as does lock picking/bouncing and as the van is only as secure as the weakest point (windows?) there will always be a way of getting in regardless of door security. An industrial strength bolt cutter or grinder will deal with any wires/locks/braces fitted, especially if they don't care about a bit of damage, and if all else fails they'll just drag it onto the back of their mates flat-bed. Sigh. :oops:

I'm beginning to think that the only security worth it's cost is a really loud siren attached to movement sensors and electrics. It won't necessarily stop them but at least it may slow them down and will alert you or your neighbours to what is going on. :unsure:
I agree, a good alarm and immobiliser (Vanbitz Growler?) and hiding your keys very well are the only real precautions that you can take.
Mechanical deterrents only stop the most casual of thieves.
A cordless angle grinder (around £100) with a 4.0ah battery will run for eight minutes and slice through anything in its path... you can't protect against that, so why worry about it ?

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Fitted these to cab doors, lock and very safe great when you are parked on your own, makes the wife a lot happier
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 85
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
A tea leaf could really trash a door and surrounding body trying to get past some of the wonderful external security devices.
Perhaps standard locks only, which can probably be picked with limited damage and a good Thatcham alarm immobiliser to prevent theft of mohome and perhaps in additionthe locking rotated drivers seat as @rosalan , good idea.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Fitted these to cab doors, lock and very safe great when you are parked on your own, makes the wife a lot happier
.View attachment 134551View attachment 134551 View attachment 134554View attachment 134555
No disrespect intended, but in my mind, false security is worse than nothing

Windows are far too easy to smash/remove, and I want to be able to evacuate if a fire starts (either inside my van or next door), not fiddle about with after market locks. If the door security worried me that much, then I would use a tie down between the door armrests. But if I were that worried about any location, I have wheels and I would find another location

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
My new PVC will come with an eco-friendly Soft Open Hab door. Just think how much gas that will save them ;)

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
No disrespect intended, but in my mind, false security is worse than nothing

Windows are far too easy to smash/remove, and I want to be able to evacuate if a fire starts (either inside my van or next door), not fiddle about with after market locks. If the door security worried me that much, then I would use a tie down between the door armrests. But if I were that worried about any location, I have wheels and I would find another location
You can just turn them to lock them you do not have use the key, I only use the key if away from motor home, and I would use hab door to get out, I would have to pass it to get to cab doors anyway, plus with drop down bed it woluld not be ideal to get out this way, thought this thread was about ducato security,not what worries me.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You can just turn them to lock them you do not have use the key, I only use the key if away from motor home, and I would use hab door to get out, I would have to pass it to get to cab doors anyway, plus with drop down bed it woluld not be ideal to get out this way, thought this thread was about ducato security,not what worries me.
Fair enough, if it gives you peace of mind and doesn't mean you are locked in, then I suppose that it is worth it.(y)

I just think that people worry too much about an unlikely event

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
This is where I fitted
Hi Alan,
I have just been out in my van looking to do the same thing to the driver's seat. Can I ask where you drilled the hole?
Having had a Ford stolen as well I understand where you are coming from!!
Hi Mike
The lock is a kind of shutter lock with a central locking pin. I fitted the lock through the serrated curved slot on the plate beneath the drivers seat which is turned to face backwards. I then drilled a hole in the plate for the lock pin to go through.
images

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Personally, I wish people would stop taking about Transits in every other thread, it seems their well publicised vulnerability may result in our all paying higher insurance premiums

Let's be honest here, a really determined thief will get into any vehicle. If a particular security accessory isn't recognised by your insurers, and a discount given (or insurance granted conditional on its being fitted) then I wouldn't waste your money. <snip>
Personally, I wish that this had been publicised to a far greater extent before my Transit-based motorhome was stolen. It would have been far less stressful and far less costly if I had known of the issue and the quick, easy and relatively inexpensive solutions. If enough people knew of the issue and took action accordingly, the vulnerability would be reduced, thus reducing claims and the risk of premiums increasing as a result.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I am very sorry to hear you were another victim of the Transit vulnerabilities, as I am for the many others, but I have to say that it has been extremely well - if not disproportionally - publicised to the extent that all of our premiums have risen as a result, and was certainly a significant factor in our own choice of M/H

Ford are very well aware of the vulnerability of their products, and as long as people continue to buy them, they have little interest and no overwhelming presence in the M/H market to lose. At the risk of stereotyping the miscreants who steal them, I would have thought the combination of a transit with a caravan bolted to the back would be irresistible to the average attendee at a "big fat gypsy wedding"

The best action I would suggest would be to not buy one of them in the first place, but if someone already has one, then a reputable and effective aftermarket modification is probably the best you can hope for. And that starts with a reputable alarm system, perhaps a highly visible wheel clamp and the application of a modicum of common sense in the selection of a parking place. But if a determined thief wants your van, there isn't a lot you can do to stop him, whatever the make and whatever you do

From a practical perspective and with respect to those posting in this thread (not the first on this subject only this week), I suggest that filling up the diagnostic port with foam is a bloody stupid idea, and believing that an aluminium framed plastic window offers any additional security is just being delusional. In contrast, reversing and locking the driver's seat is a simple and effective deterrent for all M/H owners.

But if people are that worried about it that it keeps them awake at night, then perhaps M/H isn't the right thing for them

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
This is where I fitted

Hi Mike
The lock is a kind of shutter lock with a central locking pin. I fitted the lock through the serrated curved slot on the plate beneath the drivers seat which is turned to face backwards. I then drilled a hole in the plate for the lock pin to go through.
images
That's a great lock and very hard to break but as you've pointed out, the base plate is soft enough to drill through.

This video's for bike locks and illustrates how an angle grinder will defeat them all (angle grinder from 2m20s)

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
<snip>

The best action I would suggest would be to not buy one of them in the first place, but if someone already has one, then a reputable and effective aftermarket modification is probably the best you can hope for. And that starts with a reputable alarm system, perhaps a highly visible wheel clamp and the application of a modicum of common sense in the selection of a parking place. But if a determined thief wants your van, there isn't a lot you can do to stop him, whatever the make and whatever you do

From a practical perspective and with respect to those posting in this thread (not the first on this subject only this week), I suggest that filling up the diagnostic port with foam is a bloody stupid idea, and believing that an aluminium framed plastic window offers any additional security is just being delusional. In contrast, reversing and locking the driver's seat is a simple and effective deterrent for all M/H owners.

But if people are that worried about it that it keeps them awake at night, then perhaps M/H isn't the right thing for them
I disagree. It is absolutely vital to do something about the vulnerability of the cab doors. Also, picking the Tibbe lock will deactivate any alarm system that is linked to the central unlocking, so one cannot just go for any reputable alarm system, it should be one that is independent of the central locking/unlocking system. Even if one fits deadlocks, unless something is done about the Tibbe lock, it is vital that the alarm system be independent.
Yes, filling up the OBD port with foam is probably not the most sensible idea; however, it is a very sensible precaution to protect it from easy access. Some enclose it in a lockable steel box, others move it to a different location, while I have also seen suggestions that it be cut off and a different style of connector be fitted in its place, thus enabling easy reconnection if required while preventing the nefarious from using it.
Having addressed these issues in my replacement Transit-based motorhome [the same model in the more recent Ducato base version is not an option as it is longer and wider (critical at home), lacks stowage and, IIRC, is heavier, thus reducing payload] I do sleep at night!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Surely all Transits should suffer penal insurance premiums because of the higher risk of loss and costs to insurance companies and then these costs will help put off buyers buying them! It would be interesting if someone could make a claim of un-merchantable quality and reject the goods as that would also send a strong message to Ford.

I can't understand convertors using Fords as they must be bad news when customers complain about them!

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Surely all Transits should suffer penal insurance premiums because of the higher risk of loss and costs to insurance companies and then these costs will help put off buyers buying them! It would be interesting if someone could make a claim of un-merchantable quality and reject the goods as that would also send a strong message to Ford.

I can't understand convertors using Fords as they must be bad news when customers complain about them!
I believe that the locks on the Transit Mk.8 are more secure. Don't know about the OBD port and key programming/immobiliser override.
It seems to me that many coachbuilders switched from the Transit to the Ducato some years ago and when Transit chassis were being extensively used the vulnerability issues may not have existed (i.e. easy availability of lock picks, easy availability of/awareness of means of overcoming the immobiliser) or at least not have been exploited to the same extent.
No reason why even a Transit Mk.7 should suffer penal premiums if appropriate measures have been taken to address the issues.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I believe that the locks on the Transit Mk.8 are more secure. Don't know about the OBD port and key programming/immobiliser override.
It seems to me that many coachbuilders switched from the Transit to the Ducato some years ago and when Transit chassis were being extensively used the vulnerability issues may not have existed (i.e. easy availability of lock picks, easy availability of/awareness of means of overcoming the immobiliser) or at least not have been exploited to the same extent.
No reason why even a Transit Mk.7 should suffer penal premiums if appropriate measures have been taken to address the issues.
I agree with your summary in general, albeit that I never referred to the cab doors (not that strengthening them circumvents the vulnerability of the windows) but although the transit is probably loaded in insurance terms, the whole issue of M/H security is generally put under the spotlight and everyone pays just that little bit more. It's called spread betting

It makes sense (at least to me) to find out what insurers recommend before spending out too much on what is on the market.

As I said, I'm very sorry for anyone who has suffered though this issue, but until someone can put this into a perspective with actual data comparing the transit thefts against others, then I'm not sure this warrants mass hysteria

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back