Ford Transit Chassis Motorhomes & Vans - Essential Cab Security Upgrades? (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Keep reading about motorhomes (& vans) being stolen with one make & model being the most popular - the Ford Transit! We love our mh being on a Transit chassis as it gives us the option of a 4th bed (only 3 with Fiat Ducato) plus servicing & parts are (relatively) cheap if we shop around but having now done a bit of research find that the manufacturer fitted security is rubbish! The Tibbe cab door locks can be picked very quickly & easily with a tool that anyone can buy online :eek: plus the immobiliser is also easily overcome with another piece of kit again widely available also enabling a new key to be programmed! I've spent the afternoon looking online for a solution & best I can find is the Replok Hykee http://tieronevehiclesolutions.com/products/replock-pickproof-hykee-new/ & OBD Port Protector http://tieronevehiclesolutions.com/products/new-the-obd-lock-patent-protected/ . Has anyone fitted these?

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The door lock is a good idea. It will stop thieves gauging your lock and returning later with a new ign key.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Not had direct experience of these, used to fit additional dead locks to my trade vans and they generally worked and withstood numerous attacks by scumbags looking for power tools.
I will follow this thread with interest as also having a Tranny based MH and having noticed that most vans being nicked are Tranny based. Transits are popular as there mechanicals are low mileage and can easily be used in the tens of thousands of Transits on the roads today.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Protectavan are the designers & manufacturers of both the above products & have various websites. We spoke to them today as we were concerned about the lock design looking like the one that could be opened by a pen top in the past! We have been assured that at present this is unpickable & we did a search online & didn't find anything to contradict that. Don't want to pay lots of money out on a new lock only to find that we are in the same situation again :(

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I like the idea of drilling a hole in the drivers seat swivel so that a padlock can secure the seat in a rear facing position.
That's on Mr Wombles to do list! Cheap option too (y)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Protectavan are the designers & manufacturers of both the above products & have various websites. We spoke to them today as we were concerned about the lock design looking like the one that could be opened by a pen top in the past! We have been assured that at present this is unpickable & we did a search online & didn't find anything to contradict that. Don't want to pay lots of money out on a new lock only to find that we are in the same situation again :(

Of course you could chop off the OBD plug and fit an alternative plug and socket to the cut ends of the loom.
If the OBD port is needed, you plug it back in.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As I use the remote to lock/unlock MH doors I have blocked the keyholes. I have also drilled a padlock hole in the drivers and passengers swivel base and padlock them. I also have a GPS/phone tracker hidden/fitted. Thats enough for me, but if they want it they will take it...............

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for your feedback & ideas above (y) Have done the padlock through the seat idea with this heavy duty beastie Amazon product ASIN B0035JJORS - probably a bit over the top! Now also have these & this is where we found the best prices online:

Broken Link Removed

£64.50 plus VAT

Broken Link Removed

£74.50 plus VAT
There is £9 next day delivery on these but still much cheaper at £177.60 total than web or negotiated prices with other suppliers that we tried. Paid via Paypal so safe - so far it all looks good :) & fitting method looks ok.
Hopefully these will help with the Tibbe lock issue - there are lots of good things about Ford ownership but security isn't one of them!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The new cab door lock looks smart now fitted. Bit fiddly to fit but the instructions it came with were accurate. The ECU lock had good instructions too & easy enough as a diy job according to Mr Womble (y)

IMG_20160723_185705215.jpg

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Thank you for your feedback & ideas above (y) Have done the padlock through the seat idea with this heavy duty beastie Amazon product ASIN B0035JJORS - probably a bit over the top! Now also have these & this is where we found the best prices online:

Broken Link Removed

£64.50 plus VAT

Broken Link Removed

£74.50 plus VAT
There is £9 next day delivery on these but still much cheaper at £177.60 total than web or negotiated prices with other suppliers that we tried. Paid via Paypal so safe - so far it all looks good :) & fitting method looks ok.
Hopefully these will help with the Tibbe lock issue - there are lots of good things about Ford ownership but security isn't one of them!
That padlock would be useless! One slap with a hammer and chisel it would snap, round padlocks are better

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
That padlock would be useless! One slap with a hammer and chisel it would snap, round padlocks are better
Like all security devices it is a deterrent but can be overcome with the right kit. That padlock does have a security rating of 10 so better than most. Fitting a round shackle type lock through the holes isn't possible on our seats - needed the long shackle on this padlock to make it work. We aren't relying on the padlock through the seat alone - it just adds to the many security devices that we have fitted :)

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Like all security devices it is a deterrent but can be overcome with the right kit. That padlock does have a security rating of 10 so better than most. Fitting a round shackle type lock through the holes isn't possible on our seats - needed the long shackle on this padlock to make it work. We aren't relying on the padlock through the seat alone - it just adds to the many security devices that we have fitted :)
Understood. (y)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Oh dear, I have now heard of two more transit based motor homes being stolen in the last week. It's time to take action!!

Thoughts at the moment are for an OBD protector!

2nd consideration is either to replace the door lock or fill with silicone?

Does filling it with silicone work?? I would be concerned about replacing the door locks and whether it would affect the central locking.

We only open the doors by central locking and on the odd occasion there has been an issue with the key battery we entered via the Hab door having to turn the alarm off by putting key in the ignition for some reason!

I'm also hoping that our alarm would sound if some one tried to open the doors with a kibble key even if they can then turn it off via obd which I don't know about!!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Check out this report, it's a bit frightening.

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting

Broken Link Removed

£64.50 plus VAT

Broken Link Removed

£74.50 plus VAT

Like the pedal box advertised by this company, a good visible deterrent, also think you should consider a disklok for the steering wheel.
Can't really see the point in spending loads of money on locks when the MH has a flimsy lock on the Hab door and plastic Windows.
By the way I'm also a transit owner.
Cheers Keith.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Can't really see the point in spending loads of money on locks when the MH has a flimsy lock on the Hab door and plastic Windows..
We have a wide variety of the best security devices that we can find including for the windows & hab door but all are just a deterrent that may only slow down a determined professional thief but hopefully enough to put most off picking ours :)

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Oh dear, I have now heard of two more transit based motor homes being stolen in the last week. It's time to take action!!

<snip>

I'm also hoping that our alarm would sound if some one tried to open the doors with a kibble key even if they can then turn it off via obd which I don't know about!!
If your alarm is deactivated by the central unlocking, picking the lock will also deactivate the alarm. Far better to have a separate control for the alarm (as with Strikeback/Growler by Vanbitz for example).

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As I use the remote to lock/unlock MH doors I have blocked the keyholes. I have also drilled a padlock hole in the drivers and passengers swivel base and padlock them. I also have a GPS/phone tracker hidden/fitted. Thats enough for me, but if they want it they will take it...............

So do I worry.................. NO if it's going to happen there not much I can do about it. Life is to short to worry myself sick thinking IT MIGHT HAPPEN out of the millions of MH's on the road.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Had a query about fitting a Hykee lock from a Funster so thought these hints & tips might help others too:
Look at YouTube for fitting videos to get an overview.
When taking the internal door panel off remember to carefully disconnect the plug for the window switch.
The internal film can be peeled back but it's time consuming & stretches so probably easier to cut it & then tape it up afterwards.
The metal spring clip that holds the lock can bend & is a bit fiddly as it's in a tight area.
The foam sealant ring needs to be lined up with care as once stuck that's it!
Take time to line up the new lock barrel & get it into the right position.
It's worth shopping around for the best price on this lock & also the OBD protection box as there can be quite a difference.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Another security method which while it does not stop the van beng broken into is to fit a hidden switch which turns of the 12v supply to the fuel solenoid, no diesel .... no start

Peter

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
That OBD lock case has a barrel lock.
Allegedly easily opened with a biro.
Possibly quicker than unlocking the cab door.
It's Sold Secure & Thatcham rated & meant to be a "high security" & anti-pick lock so hope it's better than the type you mention :unsure: Regardless most motorhome security is just a deterrent to hopefully put off or slow down the potential thief.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back