Still undecided pvc or coach build small van (2 Viewers)

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
... and not forgetting that Carthago (if you can ignore the fact that they are overpriced for what they deliver) offer them in 2.27 width for the c-Tourer models and an even skinnier 2.12 for the c-Compactline models, in 7 metre lengths upwards, added to which they offer island bed models in these widths, unlike the backward thinking Hymer group.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Before we bought our previous van (6m coachbuilt), I was utterly convinced a PVC was the way to go, due to many of the positives already outlined here coupled with more suitable for use as a second vehicle. We went round various dealers and shows looking at the models available, me trying to convince Cindy, but it transpired that the limiting factor was in fact mostly me. At circa 6’3, many of the vans we then looked at were just too much of a PITA for me to live with, hence why we ended up going the coachbuilt route at that time. Conversely, Cindy just wasn’t a fan of the living and storage space compromises which she perceived of PVCs, that also commanded a premium price tag (this is eye of beholder territory), in comparison to coachbuilt options.

However, I do still sometimes cast a curious eye over PVC offerings, there could still be an itch to scratch somewhere in the future should our needs change.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Forget trying to buy the "right" van using facts and opinions. By all means take the mechanical basics into consideration, but just go with your heart and buy the van for no other reason than you happen to LIKE it. Motor homing is about freedom of choice, you will have fun in whatever you choose,

The TIncas

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
... and not forgetting that Carthago (if you can ignore the fact that they are overpriced for what they deliver) offer them in 2.27 width for the c-Tourer models and an even skinnier 2.12 for the c-Compactline models, in 7 metre lengths upwards, added to which they offer island bed models in these widths, unlike the backward thinking Hymer group.
Not quite sure about that last point. Hymer have Island bed models in their Exsis and MLT ranges both of which are 2.22m wide

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Not sure where you got the 2.46m from, but I think it is wrong. We have a 7.5m long A class and it is 2.35m wide. From what I can remember from looking most other A and C classes come in at approximately that width. Nearly all the new Hymer A classes are now about 2.25m wide, and I think in earlier years they did make ones of that width as well.
I think the 2.46 m is the correct figure with the FIAT/Pugeot (long arm) mirrors folded in (not the body width) mirrors out is around 2.7 m I think. The mirrors are the cats whiskers on my van, and when I had them folded in to get through a bridge arch in a one way town system near Marseilles and had 10 mm either side of them, I knew the rest of the van was OK!!!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think the 2.46 m is the figure with the mirrors folded, mirrors out is 2.7 I think. The mirrors are the cats whiskers on my van, and when I had them folded in to get through a bridge arch near Marseilles and had 10 mm either side of them, I knew the rest of the van was OK!!!
AFAIK all motorhome manufacturers quote the width of their models without any mirrors at all. See post #23 above as to how the OP came to the 2.46 figure. The mirrors on my A class do not fold at all.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We are just as warm in the back of our Campscout(R) as we were in our Frankia coachbuilt.
We have plenty of storage due to the rear electric bed that can stop at any height and we removed our gas bottles and replaced with an underslung gas tank. Also being an extra high top we have taller inside top lockers and a massive locker over the cab.

Driving a PVC is a pleasure compared to a coachbuilt, plus you have no seams and mastic joints to maintain.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
For 10 months touring of Europe a PVC with a small 'garage' space was simply not adequate for two of us. Don't get me wrong we took no barbie or anything else luxurious just two seats and a table and bikes (stored internally) and a small gennie and petrol can and a modest tool kit (;)) and a spare tyre. I would love the robustness and driving ease of a PVC but it would not have worked for us.
My friend has a new Wildax PVC and that is quite draughty, my German semi winterised conversion is much warmer and cosy in the cold, no question.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
27704201-C4E9-4A4C-BB3F-1E70DF25268D.jpeg E064C25A-6DEC-4DC8-8D83-0C0AF7BF8BED.jpeg 9D30ADF0-F651-4D9E-AE80-0F998E974FEF.jpeg

My wife has also made a pair of heavy weight curtains at the rear with tie backs.

John.

How are they attached?[/QUOTE]

Here are some pictures @Jac Sprat of our fitted curtains, my wife fitted the heading tape so that it couldn’t be seen when the rear doors are open.

Don’t buy cheap curtain rail and curtain hooks as the hooks couldn’t take the weight when warm and opened up, we bought better quality and it cured the problem.
We’ve been in Benidorm now 6 weeks and we’ve had no problems with the new plastic fittings.

John.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
There are quite a few A-class and coachbuilt MHs out there which are a bit narrower than the 2.35m fatties which some manufacturer's thought everyone wanted! If you want a slimmer MH but not a PVC there is quite a bit of choice, more than there was a few years ago.
Thanks. I have to get one five years ( or more) old most likely due to budget.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
'my German semi winterised conversion is much warmer and cosy in the cold, no question.'

Which one is that?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
Not quite sure about that last point. Hymer have Island bed models in their Exsis and MLT ranges both of which are 2.22m wide

If their current web site is to be believed, in the under 2.35 width format, neither the Exsis-t, the Exsis-i or the B-class have any island bed models and the ML-t has just one ? So, if you want a brand new narrow Hymer on a Fiat base with an island bed it looks like you are bu**ered :) ... Carthago offer them in both their narrow format ranges (c-Compactline and c-Tourer) ... or am I missing something ?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
No don't need an island bed. Happy to go with a fixed double or two singles at back but important thing is through garage underneath and no pull down bunk above cab

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I wish I could programme into YouTube search 2012 six metre long motorhomes. ... Fed up with random videos of longer vehicles if I search for say Eldiss...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If their current web site is to be believed, in the under 2.35 width format, neither the Exsis-t, the Exsis-i or the B-class have any island bed models and the ML-t has just one ? So, if you want a brand new narrow Hymer on a Fiat base with an island bed it looks like you are bu**ered :) ... Carthago offer them in both their narrow format ranges (c-Compactline and c-Tourer) ... or am I missing something ?
Looking at the 2017 catalogue there is the Exsis-t 598, the ML-T 630, the Exsis-i 598 and the ML-I 630. Have not got he 2018 models though.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Due to budget we're looking at 2012 models so nice 2017 ones will be out of our range I think

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi. Moved down from a 6 berth 7.5 meter coachbuilt to a PVC 6.36 meter Auto Sleeper 4 berth Fairford with 4 travelling seats- only two of us now though. Suggest you read their site about the insulating of there PVC's because an A class would have a job to beat it! I have never suffered any heat loss or drafts through the rear doors or the sky lights and the heating is tip top even on low ECO setting. You don't need bits of foil sticking here and there and can forget that. It is a well laid out van with the LPG gas tank underslung beneath the vehicle which means more room inside and has all the goodies as well. Have we missed anything that we had, well not really because in this model there is loads of storage space, in fact we have some spare! We can also take it out and about and not worry about it's size. Oh and its got nice big double beds and two loung areas. I cannot recommend the product highly enough it is a quality built PVC and a surprise that sets a standard.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi. Moved down from a 6 berth 7.5 meter coachbuilt to a PVC 6.36 meter Auto Sleeper 4 berth Fairford with 4 travelling seats- only two of us now though. Suggest you read their site about the insulating of there PVC's because an A class would have a job to beat it! I have never suffered any heat loss or drafts through the rear doors or the sky lights and the heating is tip top even on low ECO setting. You don't need bits of foil sticking here and there and can forget that. It is a well laid out van with the LPG gas tank underslung beneath the vehicle which means more room inside and has all the goodies as well. Have we missed anything that we had, well not really because in this model there is loads of storage space, in fact we have some spare! We can also take it out and about and not worry about it's size. Oh and its got nice big double beds and two loung areas. I cannot recommend the product highly enough it is a quality built PVC and a surprise that sets a standard.

Looks a nice conversion, have you got the latest 2.0 blue one.
The Autosleeper website says its 6.36 metre in length and has a 160bhp engine. So it must be the L4. Now they only do a L4 H3 in 160bhp so is it the extra high version. The normal L4 H2 only comes in 130bhp.
It doesn't look like a H3 one from the photos?

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Looks a nice conversion, have you got the latest 2.0 blue one.
The Autosleeper website says its 6.36 metre in length and has a 160bhp engine. So it must be the L4. Now they only do a L4 H3 in 160bhp so is it the extra high version. The normal L4 H2 only comes in 130bhp.
It doesn't look like a H3 one from the photos?

Yes it's the 2017 2.0 blue euro 6 L4 160 bhp. I was not aware of any height difference in the Autosleepers PVC's. My brother in law has the model prior to the L4 in euro 5 engine form and it's the same height as mine. I was not aware of any height differences in the Autosleeprs van conversions. I had a Bailey 765 coachbuilt before this PVC and it had the 130bhp engine. It had nice torque low down in the rev range but was like driving a noisy tractor when the revs went up and it soon ran out of steam on hills.There is no comparison between the two engines they are chalk and cheese and a different driving experience altogether. The 160 bhp is like driving a responsive car. In fact the engine is derived from the 2.0 blue diesel engine that Peugeot use in their cars. Another good thing is the mpg, I am up to 35mpg combined now and that is not tootling along at 50mph. The Bailey was 29 -30 mpg. I don't mind filling up now, with all the extra mpg a tank goes a long way. Anything else I can help with, then just ask.

ps where did you see the photo that you mention to compare the van height as I don't have a picture in the avatar yet.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes it's the 2017 2.0 blue euro 6 L4 160 bhp. I was not aware of any height difference in the Autosleepers PVC's. My brother in law has the model prior to the L4 in euro 5 engine form and it's the same height as mine. I was not aware of any height differences in the Autosleeprs van conversions. I had a Bailey 765 coachbuilt before this PVC and it had the 130bhp engine. It had nice torque low down in the rev range but was like driving a noisy tractor when the revs went up and it soon ran out of steam on hills.There is no comparison between the two engines they are chalk and cheese and a different driving experience altogether. The 160 bhp is like driving a responsive car. In fact the engine is derived from the 2.0 blue diesel engine that Peugeot use in their cars. Another good thing is the mpg, I am up to 35mpg combined now and that is not tootling along at 50mph. The Bailey was 29 -30 mpg. I don't mind filling up now, with all the extra mpg a tank goes a long way. Anything else I can help with, then just ask.

ps where did you see the photo that you mention to compare the van height as I don't have a picture in the avatar yet.

Many thanks for that. I am in the process of ordering a new boxer for conversion.
Can,t understand it, the fairford looks like the H2, there are different lengths and heights, length L3, L4 etc, height H2, H3 et .
The Peugeot configurator ordering brochure states you cannot order L4, H2 in 160bhp, only in L4 H3. This is confirmed when I try to order, but it looks like you have one and auto sleepers can do it.
You can order the L3 H2 in 160bhp which is the 5.99 metre model but not the L4 H2 6.36 metre one.
I saw photos on the auto sleeper website, the plot thickens, what a mystery that is.
As clear as mud to me.
I maybe need to contact auto sleepers.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Sounds good but we have around a £30,000 budget which is why I was looking at 5 year old vehicles.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
You should get more than 30k for the Hymer.
Not acc to Bundesvan and other people who took the time to research it for me but you may be right. I hope so.
We're going to bang it on eBay I think after Xmas .
Is there a website that deals with vans of only 2.05 wide? I can't get an overview of what is out there!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Hi. Moved down from a 6 berth 7.5 meter coachbuilt to a PVC 6.36 meter Auto Sleeper 4 berth Fairford with 4 travelling seats- only two of us now though. Suggest you read their site about the insulating of there PVC's because an A class would have a job to beat it! I have never suffered any heat loss or drafts through the rear doors or the sky lights and the heating is tip top even on low ECO setting. You don't need bits of foil sticking here and there and can forget that. It is a well laid out van with the LPG gas tank underslung beneath the vehicle which means more room inside and has all the goodies as well. Have we missed anything that we had, well not really because in this model there is loads of storage space, in fact we have some spare! d.

Has it got a garage? We have deep storage stuff ie skis, boots etc

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

Same here. We came from large coachbuilt with garage downsizing to Auto sleepers Warwick XL excellent van with plenty of room. Great build and layout. Easy to drive and park. Don’t miss the large van as yet.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back