Still undecided pvc or coach build small van (1 Viewer)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We went from a 7m coachbuilt to a 6 m PVC with some trepidation. (Rapido V55). Had it for a year, been away in it loads, including an 8 week trip abroad. Plenty storage, comfy living and sleeping, better than adequate cooking, brilliant toilet and shower. Yes, there is less space internally, but we find that it is less "perceived" space as opposed to "usable" space. By which I mean that while it does feel more claustrophobic (until that big side sliding door is opened up which for us is a super feature of a PVC), you still have as much space as a body needs for lounging, eating, sleeping and so on. It's parked on our drive, and I still walk past it thinking, how the hell do we live in that? But we do, and love it.
And the big upside is of course accessibility to places where I wouldn't have taken our previous van. I'm not saying it would have been impossible, I've been places where I've felt really smug thinking "ha ha, let's see a big van do this", only to arrive to find several coachbuilts, A classes and tour busses there already. But I would have been too nervous.
Small is beautiful.(y)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Same here. We came from large coachbuilt with garage downsizing to Auto sleepers Warwick XL excellent van with plenty of room. Great build and layout. Easy to drive and park. Don’t miss the large van as yet.:)

Is yours on the Peugeot 2.0 blue engine? If so how do you find the drive, is it the 160bhp, which is the one I am considering.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I know we can live in that size as we rented the Tribute Trigano to find out. We seem to be fixed on a through garage though but that is mainly for our skis and we could perhaps find another solution for them...
Also if we go for the lovely u shaped lounge at the back then we can't use a topper as where would we put it when it was couches again from bed. Hence we keep coming back to through garage underneath fixed bed but that limits our choice a lot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Is yours on the Peugeot 2.0 blue engine? If so how do you find the drive, is it the 160bhp, which is the one I am considering.
Yes it is. Driving is as good as it gets. Better than the 2.2 fiat on last van but then again this is a PVC. The addition of the air assistance on the rear suspension also helps. Drives like a car as you don’t get so much rolling around. Although I say so myself I think Autosleeper have done a great job with this van. Very happy to recommend(y)

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Many thanks for that. I am in the process of ordering a new boxer for conversion.
Can,t understand it, the fairford looks like the H2, there are different lengths and heights, length L3, L4 etc, height H2, H3 et .
The Peugeot configurator ordering brochure states you cannot order L4, H2 in 160bhp, only in L4 H3. This is confirmed when I try to order, but it looks like you have one and auto sleepers can do it.
You can order the L3 H2 in 160bhp which is the 5.99 metre model but not the L4 H2 6.36 metre one.
I saw photos on the auto sleeper website, the plot thickens, what a mystery that is.
As clear as mud to me.
I maybe need to contact auto sleepers.
As the song goes - some girls do, some girls don't. Don't get too involved with all those letters and numbers. If you like what you see go for it.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
We went from a 7m coachbuilt to a 6 m PVC with some trepidation. (Rapido V55). Had it for a year, been away in it loads, including an 8 week trip abroad. Plenty storage, comfy living and sleeping, better than adequate cooking, brilliant toilet and shower. Yes, there is less space internally, but we find that it is less "perceived" space as opposed to "usable" space. By which I mean that while it does feel more claustrophobic (until that big side sliding door is opened up which for us is a super feature of a PVC), you still have as much space as a body needs for lounging, eating, sleeping and so on. It's parked on our drive, and I still walk past it thinking, how the hell do we live in that? But we do, and love it.
And the big upside is of course accessibility to places where I wouldn't have taken our previous van. I'm not saying it would have been impossible, I've been places where I've felt really smug thinking "ha ha, let's see a big van do this", only to arrive to find several coachbuilts, A classes and tour busses there already. But I would have been too nervous.
Small is beautiful.(y)
Spot on. Spot on.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
As the song goes - some girls do, some girls don't. Don't get too involved with all those letters and numbers. If you like what you see go for it.

I want an L4 and 160bhp, same as you, its not too much to ask surely. Peugeot can sell Autosleepers them but not me.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I used to think myself, how could anyone live in one of those PVC's. And yes some are very claustrophobic and dark. We looked at them all for months, Globestar, Wildax Autocruise you name it we looked at it. It was, shall we. should we. It was only when we found the Auto Sleeper Fairford we decided, yes it will be. Brilliant build quality no shakes or rattles. It's so light and airy inside and this gives a bigger feel to the interior of the van. It also had the same rear lounge layout as our Bailey 765, which we like. But also it has a 4 seat front lounge. The work space/kitchen is honestly bigger than our other Bailey motorhome - amazing. It has a full size gas cooker and hob, a good size fridge, and best of all for us, but a red rag to some, a microwave oven - yeeha. This swayed my wife because not many PVC's have one. We had a tow bar fitted as part of the order. No need to worry about any storage with a trailer, and it's not a big one either. Tent, bar-be, and the other must haves go in that if hopping off for a good stint. Otherwise it's not needed. Another person has mentioned the Alko Air Top rear suspension. You have too experience it too appreciate the driving/handling it gives. No bangs crashes or wallops from potholes, just a smooth ride. Also useful on site to level up the van with, and a bicycle pump is the minimum that is needed to pump it up. Ok, it's obvious we like it, and are converts, but in the end it's each to his own and whatever gives you a big FUNSTER smile. ::bigsmile:

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I want an L4 and 160bhp, same as you, its not too much to ask surely. Peugeot can sell Autosleepers them but not me.

But as you just stated, mine is a L4 160 bhp 2.0 blue. It's a Peugeot/ Auto Sleeper and that's what you say you wanted. Go and out buy one then!! I'm really baffled now.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
But as you just stated, mine is a L4 160 bhp 2.0 blue. It's a Peugeot/ Auto Sleeper and that's what you say you wanted. Go and out buy one then!! I'm really baffled now.

Sorry I don't want the Autosleeper bit I want the Peugeot bit, I have designed my own van, Peugeot can sell Autosleeper one but not me.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry I don't want the Autosleeper bit I want the Peugeot bit, I have designed my own van, Peugeot can sell Autosleeper one but not me.

There is a company/ converter which has a video on youtube, Surprised you missed them with all that searching. Suggest you have a peek. They will build you whatever you want, to your own design and on the Peugeot L4 that you want. Not pricey either. Nuff, said job done. Wont bother to get their name as I know you like a challenge! Anyway genuinely hope you get what you want.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I'd love a microwave and am happy with every thing but don't like the idea of a trailer. Whole point is to be shorter...

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I'd love a microwave and am happy with every thing but don't like the idea of a trailer. Whole point is to be shorter...

Hi jac. OMG, I bet you've heard that one before!:D Yeah, appreciate that, and good point, each case is different though. We take the grand kids and they like to sleep in their tent with all their gear so the trailer is a must when they come - right little horrors though mate, they keep hiding my beer and slippers.:devil:

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks.
@fairford rambler I don't think you can get away with the old songs like that any more haha
(looking at the news fallout from jokes such as Gove's the last week!)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Has anyone fully timed in a van like Fairford Rambler is recommending? How did you manage with low storage?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Has anyone fully timed in a van like Fairford Rambler is recommending? How did you manage with low storage?
You'll have to remind us what he's got ....

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Ah, Citroen H van. I know where's there's one a lot draftier and colder than that just waiting to be loved again. Is it yours??
I wish. It'd be perfect for going to the local aires or beauty spot for a wine, cheese and bagette lunch, like the owners of this immaculate pvc (would you call it an Hpvc). It also towed a chopped 2cv van as a 2-wheeled trailer, and looked better than new. No, nothing so exotic, mine's a newish Ducato pvc.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Autosleepe or Fairford or globecar or Amundsen type set up. Has anyone managed with very little garage space long terming?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Autosleepe or Fairford or globecar or Amundsen type set up. Has anyone managed with very little garage space long terming?

Not yet - but planning on it next year :)

I've only skimmed this thread, so might have missed a few points, but is there a reason why a self-build isn't a good idea?

For long term use you could have it to suit your needs?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Complicated!
I think it's the cost mainly. Also time frame -we want to get going after Xmas hopefully. I think our budget puts us firmly in the second hand market. Also been warned off new due to 'new' glitches.
Also while I'd love the convenience of the back going into two couches and opening the back door I'd be worried I wouldn't sleep well on thin couch cushions and would want a topper but then there's nowhere to store it. Happy to go with higher fixed bed over thru garage but haven't found one in a narrow van in our price range
(Expected we'd be looking at 3-5 yrs old vehicles)

pixer

Free Member
Jun 11, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Exp
Since 1982
Maybe a little late to this topic but (jac sprat) have you looked at the Burstner Brevio or Swift Rio range. Both have been on the market for a few years now and are about the same size as a van conversions but are coach built (semi integrated). I think a couple of models used to be only 6 m long. The Brevio has around 700kg payload.

Mar 27, 2016
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 408
Exp
Since 2016
We have a hymer 408c which is similar to the brevio and love it. Loads of storage 6 m long and only 2.15m wide transverse rear bed which you pull down - regularly carry 2 bikes in back and inflatable canoe. Some versions have more of a make up bed but not ours

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
Complicated!
I think it's the cost mainly. Also time frame -we want to get going after Xmas hopefully. I think our budget puts us firmly in the second hand market. Also been warned off new due to 'new' glitches.
Also while I'd love the convenience of the back going into two couches and opening the back door I'd be worried I wouldn't sleep well on thin couch cushions and would want a topper but then there's nowhere to store it. Happy to go with higher fixed bed over thru garage but haven't found one in a narrow van in our price range
(Expected we'd be looking at 3-5 yrs old vehicles)
We leave our toppers on the couches during the day covered with fleece blankets

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Interesting! So you don't have the option of making it into couches as nowhere to store the topper?

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015

Pure bliss. We do the same. Love an afternoon nap before hitting the Darby and Joan club in the evening. Only pulling your leg, but we do leave a topper on rear bed with a Duvet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back