Still undecided pvc or coach build small van (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Although we are still to sell our Hymer we're researching our next purchase and keep flip flopping. The real issue is the width (and the height to a lesser extent.) pVCs are like 2.06 width compared to 2.46 coach.
Both options can be the same length 6m.
We want a normal white transit style van flexibility as in parking, road flexibility, (ability to get round the Connor pass in Ireland ! And through old town centres in Sicily)
My concern is the double doors opening at at the back would leak out too much heat in cold snowy climates. I heard that silver screens can cause rust due to moisture build up there. Any ideas on this?
Other issue is huge reduction in storage space. There is no external garage at all and minimal cupboard space inside .
We hired one to try it (see my video) but it felt like a weekend camper rather than a six monther jobby. Visions of cake and eating it come to mind ....
Any thoughts?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you've answered your own question. :) If you can't ditch some of the stuff you carry then a PVC probably won't suit. You might also want to consider an A Class - these come in the 6.0m size too. :)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
It's the width though... that's probably our driving motivation. All A class are wider
If someone could settle our mind as to the heat lost at the back though the double door opening I'd be grateful. Can we use silver screens?
Also - has anyone full timed in one of these?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's the width though... that's probably our driving motivation. All A class are wider
If someone could settle our mind as to the heat lost at the back though the double door opening I'd be grateful. Can we use silver screens?
Don't see why there should be a great heat loss if the doors are properly sealed or even some sort of curtain.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I dont notice any heat loss on my 5 mtr Symbol and we use it all year..Fitted chequer plate boxes on rear doors below cycle rack for ext storage,,We do 3 months at a time and find it brilliant,,BUSBY,,,

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
My concern is the double doors opening at at the back would leak out too much heat in cold snowy climates. I heard that silver screens can cause rust due to moisture build up there. Any ideas on this?

Other issue is huge reduction in storage space. There is no external garage at all and minimal cupboard space inside .
Any thoughts?
I believe various converters offer various solutions in the form of covers that can be used in colder weather to provide extra insulation at the back doors. I'm sure it would be perfectly possible to get hold of or make something suitable if it was an issue. We haven't found the need to use anything extra on the back doors. And I find it hard to see how rust could be an issue unless left in place permanently without any ventilation, and even then I'd be doubtful.

With regard to storage space, yes if the footprint of your van is smaller, then there is likely to be less. But the design of the van can make a big difference. We have, in effect, a reasonably large garage at the back of our van for storage, most easily accessed through the barn doors, although it's also possible to gain access internally.

Our previous van was a 6m coachbuilt, whereas the PVC is 6.4m. But as you indicated, it is only 2.05m wide, which is what makes all the difference in terms of drive-ability. We've hardly noticed the extra length, and find it so much easier in terms of access to places and making more relaxed progress on narrower roads.

At the end of the day, there will always be compromises - personal decisions have to be made - but we won't be returning to a coachbuilt any time soon.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Both Carthago and Hymer do narrow track A class , ours is 2.11 wide, only slightly wider than the PVC we owned previously.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Check out the ih 630 RL (6.3 metres rear lounge) no rear barn doors and good outside accessed storage space expensive but built well and hold their price

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Our Hobby is 2.1m wide, very much the same as our previous PVC, and only 1m longer but with all the benefits of bigger van - tons of storage, in our garage area we haul x2 foldable electric bikes (not the dainty kind) x2 containers of 50L of fresh water (as we wild) x1 spare toilet cassette amongst all the usual stuff, brollys,hoses,cables,table,chairs,carver boxes for our walking gear etc - we had nowhere to store this in our PVC as they are very limited, its swings n roundabouts as they say.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The real issue is the width (and the height to a lesser extent.) pVCs are like 2.06 width compared to 2.46 coach.
Not sure where you got the 2.46m from, but I think it is wrong. We have a 7.5m long A class and it is 2.35m wide. From what I can remember from looking most other A and C classes come in at approximately that width. Nearly all the new Hymer A classes are now about 2.25m wide, and I think in earlier years they did make ones of that width as well.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Regarding heat loss through the rear doors - you could simple add a thermal curtain to the inside.

On ours we have a rear bulkhead that runs from the top of the beds to the roof, which is insulated (has the rear window blinds cut into it). I did this to stop any drafts more than increase insulation. But it works great for both.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure where you got the 2.46m from, but I think it is wrong. We have a 7.5m long A class and it is 2.35m wide. From what I can remember from looking most other A and C classes come in at approximately that width. Nearly all the new Hymer A classes are now about 2.25m wide, and I think in earlier years they did make ones of that width as well.
I think it's easy to be confused between 'body width' and 'overall width' (ie measured from the outside edge of the rear-view mirrors).

The Ducato van has a body width of 2.05m. Most coachbuilts including A-class vary between 2.3m - 2.35m body width, though as has been mentioned, there are increasing numbers of coachbuilts including A-class options coming in at less than that. And Bailey went the other way with much wider bodies on their original motorhomes, but they also now have narrower models.

Deleted User
I have a 6m PVC which I use all year round for touring, one or two nights at the most in any one location. I have never had cause to worry about the rear doors. in winter I use a oil rad if on electric hook up or switch Webasto on for 1/2 hour before getting up if in an Aire. It is perfect foe narrow lanes on the continent, Ireland, Cornwall etc, however, I couldn't conceive of it being practical for eg overwintering in Spain. On the odd occasion I have stayed somewhere for more than 2 nights the Vango airbeam awning goes up and we live in there. Internal storage is poor as is space to move around in the centre of the van (we went for one where we could leave the bed made up at the back and use the front dinette as lounge, part of the brigade who cant stand making the bed up every night). The van gets used extensively due to its ease of use and fast continental travel (minimum buffeting and very stable and economical), however, really comes into its own for solo travelling as part of my many hobbies. I believe a number of people have designed a secondary seal which fits down the centre of the rear doors to prevent draught from ill fitting doors, I don't have that particular issue. So in summary great for touring and occasional longer stay in a warm climate, not really a live in van.

Reference the silver screens, not sure why it is a issue for PVC but not coach or A. I only use the internal stick on screens and do sometimes suffer from condensation (not when oil rad on low all night). Usually leave a micro towel spread across the dash and a small squeegee before setting off. I have met below zero nights down to -8, however, not experienced intense cold (-10 or below) so cannot comment on suitability for that.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Understand that a lot use their Globecar PVCs when going to ski areas due to their levels of insulation - an insulated rear door mat is part of their Winter Pack or an optional extra. Good size garage & lots of cupboard space too. Never heard of problems like you described with silver screens but know a lot swear by them & we invested in some this year & they are very effective.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why not just get a newer Hymer both the Exsis and the Dynamic Line are only 2.22m wide and avalible in lengths from 5.99 to 7.49m. Not much wider than a PVC, far better insulation, fully winterised and loads of storage space. We have been temped with a PVC but realised we couldn't cope with the lack of storeage space so we ended up buying an even bigger van but it is narrow so we can get anywhere we want to go.

Deleted User
We've had 3 pvc, no problem living in them for 3 month periods, two humans & 3 large dogs. Various designs available to cover storage, one had a garage with no barn doors. Prefer the barn doors though and various options on storage creation are available. Current has raised floor at rear only about 35cm but creates under floor space which is accessible via rear doors. Gives us rear lounge area with two benches which makes into a bed or can be left set up as a bed, only a step up from kitchen area so easy to access. Both benches have storage underneath.
Windows at rear do get condensation on them with our current van, same as windscreen, we use thermal covers, never had any rust as they are only on at night, just dry off in morning or fling doors open.

Lin :)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our Elddis is no wider than a panel van, we love it.

Cue comments regarding UK built rubbish :D2 no offence will be taken :)

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years

Our Dethleffs is only 2.19 wide

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect it was a typo and should have been 2.35 ... the keys are next to each other on the keyboard after all ... :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Miss Marples eat your heart out!
Nah ... just call me Mrs Spock! :D Its the only logical explanation Captain! :D2

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
All I can add is that I went from a 6.16m coach built to a 6m PVC and the latter is a pleasure to drive compared to the former... so on that basis alone.

Internally, the PVC does 'feel' smaller but seems to make better use of space.
Obviously dependant on layout but with a fixed bed & underslung tanks, I have acres of storage.
Opening the sliding door and/or the rear barn doors does open everything up.

If I had to choose between driveability and slightly less interior space - my experience would choose driveability.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I was doing it from memory
I just remembered it was between 2 and 2.5!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have more storage in our Globcar Campscout than any of the coach builts we’ve previously owned.

Also a lot quieter when driving with no rattles at all like the coach builts.
My wife has also made a pair of heavy weight curtains at the rear with tie backs.

John.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
My wife has also made a pair of heavy weight curtains at the rear with tie backs.

John.[/QUOTE]

How are they attached?

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
We have had a PVC since 2010 and have being skiing in it every year. I sleep right next to the double door and never get cold even when its down to minus god know what outside. We do put a small 1kw convector heater on but we normally end up waking up because we are too hot, even when its on its lowest setting. We have owned 2 coach builts before and went to ski resorts in those also. I have not noticed any difference with the PVC with regards getting cold inside.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Everyone is different . Ive taken my A class everywhere ive wanted to go. Now i am holed up for a while because of my foot i am so glad that i didn't buy a pvc that i was looking at. Am even looking at small rv type vans. I long term in my van you cant beat a bit of room to stretch out in. We are all different thats good i reckon (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

John.

How are they attached?
Not sure how they attach theirs, but in ours I put an expanded (sprung) curtain rod across the back and hung the thermal curtains on that, it meant it could be easily removed if needed (eg to remove the curtains for washing) and left no trace other than the 2 'clips' I used keep it up there, depending on the weight of the curtains a 'fatter' shower curtain rod might be better. This was it our previous PVC:

4 - Rear lockers open.JPG

3 - Rear curtains.JPG

4 - Rear curtains bracket.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There are quite a few A-class and coachbuilt MHs out there which are a bit narrower than the 2.35m fatties which some manufacturer's thought everyone wanted! If you want a slimmer MH but not a PVC there is quite a bit of choice, more than there was a few years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back