Stealth, motorhome, or self build? (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Obviously a lot depends on your life style, health, finances and skills, but given the choice of any category, I'm not sure which is best for full time living. One of my primary concerns is theft, and/or malicious damage. So I thought I would list some of the factors for each category, and get some opinions about each of them.

Stealth vans.
Late mdel vans with good internal conversions seem to be suggested by those staying in urban environments. It seems easier to park in industrial sites and retail complexes. Some people even suggest using magnetic signs to improve the illusion. I don't like the dark windowless interior, and i think there is a risk of attemted theft eother of the van, or from goods that may be contained in the van.

Motorhomes
These are undoubtedly more comfortable for many, but they may contain facilities that some could consider as non essential. Parking in certain areas could create resentment, and trigger vandalism. Jealousy could be another cause of vandalism. They are often large, and thus inconvenient to park in many urban environments.I suspect that an expensive one could tempt a thief to break in and see if anything is worth stealing.

Budget van conversions
You can make these comfortable, and give the appearance of poverty. This has advantages and disadvantages. You could be less likely to suffer from breakins, but you may find locals try to get rid of you if you stay for more than a couple of days, and I have heard of vans being torched.

Tidy van conversions.
I think this is my preferred option. If you base your "home" on an oldish van that has been tidied up, and looks presentable, but not prosperous, you seem to be less likely to provoke antagonism. You can turn the interior into a very pleasant living area, and keep it concealed from outside investigation.

I get the impression that many members here prefer to use quality motorhomes, and stay in approved sites, but that is a bit too conventional for me. :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It’s a broad church on here, many members in each category and many members who like to use both sites with facilities and wild camping and everything in between depending on whim of that day. Please don’t try and pigeonhole us.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
It’s a broad church on here, many members in each category and many members who like to use both sites with facilities and wild camping and everything in between depending on whim of that day. Please don’t try and pigeonhole us.
What gives the impression that any part of my post was pigeon holing? All I did was to point out that using campervan parks isn't quite what I think of as full time mobile home living. I appreciate the breadth of experience and skills here, and that is why I was seeking opinions.

Please don't pigeon hole me. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Flexibility is the key. We fulltime, sometimes on sites, sometimes wild/free camp. It all depends where we want to be and when.

Comfort and warmth is important to us and enough space to stretch and chill out. Equally, enough carrying capacity to carry the things we like doing, bikes, skis and paddle boards. Without these things, being on the road and fulltiming in a van would not be working for us, we would be too restless.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There are many variables , and its all down to individuals own priorities . there is luckily something out there for everyone , and many that many totally discount . How longs a piece of string , is a question that applies very much in this subject :)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
A class every time for full time living, as for theft, and/or malicious damage surely your insured for these eventualities anyway
I get the impression that many members here prefer to use quality motorhomes, and stay in approved sites, but that is a bit too conventional for me.
Rather than being too conventional it sounds as though you’ve already made your decision anyway, more like your trying to either justify or convince yourself not to spend any money, and that’s fine too :xThumb:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I get the impression that many members here prefer to use quality motorhomes, and stay in approved sites, but that is a bit too conventional for me. :)

We have a 7mt MoHo but never go near a site. We park/wild camp anywhere and everywhere with very little problem and never been vandalised or broken into.
If you're happy squashed up in van conversion and making up the bed every night then go for it.
I would sooner not worry about vandalism or theft and simply enjoy a comfortable life on the road.
We are fully insured so no problem - it's only a van.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I appreciate the insurance aspect, but I gather it is not too easy to insure contents if you are full time. I haven't become accustomed to the disposable society, and I like to collect things that have an appeal to me. Often these are vintage items, and difficult to replace.

Is there really more room in a purpose built motor home? One of the reasons that I decided to customise a van myself is that the designer ones seem to be full of cupboards and closets, and stuff that I didn't feel is essential. I agree that one doesn't want to keep making up beds, but that seems to be a feature of motor homes. However, for this thread I was trying to get a feel for members feelings about external appearances.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The one problem you have with all these vans apart from motorhome, is you will not be able to register them as motorhomes with the DVLA, so will not be able to insure them properly, or really live in them completely legit.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Is there really more room in a purpose built motor home? One of the reasons that I decided to customise a van myself is that the designer ones seem to be full of cupboards and closets,

Get one with a garage? How much room will you need?

DSC02856.JPG

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I guess I'm just thinking of vehicles that will fit into a normal sized parking space. I nearly bought an Iveco Jumbo to convert, but I decided that I would try a slightly smaller vehicle for a while.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The one problem you have with all these vans apart from motorhome, is you will not be able to register them as motorhomes with the DVLA, so will not be able to insure them properly, or really live in them completely legit.
Not all vans but certainly for a ‘stealth van’ as it would not meet the current DVLA criteria.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Stealaway is that a Japanese hotel room or maybe u could let it out as such.

I stayed in a Japanese capsule hotel and thats about the size.. comfortable mattress, good quilt, TV , dressing gown, wash kit... brilliant toilets .. the magical hot spray with dryer.. in Tokyo about £20 a night... find that in London :LOL:

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
The only disadvantage that I've found in not being registered as a motorthome, is that I can't enter the council recycling centres. I don't have any problems with the police. In fact they often talk to me in the lobby of McDonalds, and they are quite friendly. I suspect they have done lots of checks on me as well without saying anything. The traffic warden that visited the truckers lay-bye told me I was fine to sleep overnight in the van, as long as I observed the 2 hour parking limit during the day. I had the police knock on my door in the Waitrose car park once when it was cold, and they said there were no problems or complaints, but the Waitrose staff were concerned that I was OK, and if I went in, to the store, I could have a free coffee. I had a knock on the door this morning by a couple of the McDonalds staff in Portsmouth. It was 7.30, and they wanted to check that I was OK, as I normally go in between 5 and 6. I'd overslept.

Most people are really nice to me, and it's a bit embarrassing really, as sometimes I am given food by strangers, and it's usually cheeseburgers or similar. I'd really rather choose my own meals, and I don't have any financial problems, but it seems churlish to refuse their offers. I think I need to do a bit of image enhancement, especially on the van. Obviously it isn't a stealth van by any stretch of the imagination. :)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Black short wheelbase MERCEDES sprinter.

Get a roof bed conversion like the CS Amigo, la Strada regent or similar.

3.5 tonne chassis and you will have plenty of room and payload. You could go to medium wheelbase if you wanted more room and you could upgrade the chassis to almost 3.88 ton.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Wild Brambles your idea of fulltiming is certainly not mine, but each to their own.

When we "off grid" we are independent of other people's power supplies, Wi-Fi and water. Ok we may be guilty of the odd meal in Mr Donalds to use the Wi-Fi for updating devices, but that is rare.

If you want to live a life of surviving in a van in a car park, then that is up to you. However, it seems to me that unless you get your van to a more independent state, you will miss out on what it's the biggest advantage and the best reason for full timing- seeing the country you are in, travelling and seeing new sights, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures. All just my opinion of course and no offence intended.

I know you have only just started out on this life and have plans for the van, but you cannot work on it in a supermarket car park, or a side street. You need somewhere, for a short time, to spread out and get the work done. Insulation and fixtures and fittings need to be undercover as do the tools you will need to use to fit them. Have you any plans as to how you are going to do the actual conversion? As in where and when?

When you do start the work, that is when this forum will come into it's own to offer technical advice and help. Many have built their own campers and many people on here understand how all the electrics/gas/solar should be installed.

However, asking what sort of van you should build for living in a car park will not gather much helpful information because not many do it. Of course I expect a few to pop up now to say the do!!

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Armytwowheels
Thanks for your comments, and you make a lot of sense. I do have some different priorities though. I'm concerned about the increasing control of countries and peoples's lives and health by supra-national entities. This is why I have become interested in alternatives to the current banking system, a closer association with nature, and alternative to the Internet such as software controlled radio and LoRa. Solar power is obviously an essential, and I'm conducting some minor experiments at the moment.

I'm still in the planning stage, and I'm evaluating basics such as double insulated flooring, and under floor storage for items such as tow ropes, tarps, spare fuel including wood for the wood burner, and some other things that many may not consider essentials. I have learnt a lot during the short period that I have been here, and I am grateful for the advice. I seem to have fallen out with a few people as a result of my extreme ideas about macro-economics. You may accept or reject these, but my aim is to conform to traditional morality and the current laws, so they shouldn't be detrimental to anybody.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That's a very vague reply to some highly relevant points raised by Armytwowheels
I don't see what relevance your views on the banking system or macro economics has to your needs for a habitable van.
Or how you're going to achieve it ?

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I can see that most people see van living as a means of exploring new areas, and that is something I have enjoyed in my life. At the moment, I'm more interested in alternatives to the current communication infrastructure, and way to escape forced control by corporations. I do appreciate the comments by Army, and they are sensible and valid suggestions.

I have got some friends with conventional life styles who have offered to help, and I may empty one of my garages to simplify some of the carpentry, although I know of at least two full times who converted their vans whist parked on the beach. The electrical installation for a communication centre isn't too much of a problem, and I've already got battery drills and cable connectors for that.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I live full time (apart from the last few days), off site in a van and have done so for very nearly 35 years...

I just did it.

It's a wonderful life but I didn't do a tenth of the "thinking" or "planning" or talking about it online with strangers that Mr Brambles does.

I just moved into my van of the day and solved each problem, one by one, as they arrived, picking up knowledge and understanding of the lifestyle as I went along.

Just do it... discreetly... quietly... and with consideration for everyone.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@wildbrambles I love your alternative views to conventional thinking and you optimistic outlook, long may that continue.
You're in the right place if you need technical help but it sound like you got it sorted (y) (y) (y)

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I'm a long way from having it sorted. I've got a lot of condensation on the interior of the van windows, and I need to resolve tht problem fairly quickly. I'm hoping the wood burner will do it. I'm cutting down on cooking in the van as well, as that creates a fair bit of moisture.

Most people these days seem to live in virtual worlds, and I'm no exception. However my worlds are not watching television, or endless texting on mobile phones. I'm having to restrict myself to low power devices in the van until I can resolve my roof rack problem, and that won't be until next summer. I looked at the stuff that I'm carrying around in the van at the moment, and at least half of it will have to go. That is probably the most important task of the afternoon.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The condensation will be lack of insulation..
I'd suggest your van is completely unsuitable for living in at the moment.
I understand you like to have challenges to overcome but I think it would be a good idea to formulate a plan on how you are going to achieve a habitable van.
But don't go on about bloody macro economics, they're not relevant to your predicament.
Lots of people on here will be willing to assist if you keep it on topic.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I don't see it as a predicament - it's a lifestyle choice. I could always return to living in a house if I wanted to. The macro-economics are relevant to me, as my concerns are the reason I decided to adopt this lifestyle. I can appreciate that others will have different needs and resources though.

I can understand the problems resulting from a lack of insulation. I haven't really addressed this, as I think the plastic roof may be my greatest problem in this area. I did glue some reflectix on the uncovered part at the rear, and this helped a bit. I should probably make some panels for the windows as well

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Try sodium bicarb - it reduces the acidity. Also, remember that 5 cups of coffee can reduce your salt content by about a teaspoon, so you need to replace it - preferably with salt from ancient oceans.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
You sound like a covert operative for MI5, you could always get a CB radio for your alternative communications or a satellite balloon, as an alternative to the banking system there’s a few things but most are unsuitable in your situation, as I’m thinking you don’t have a permanent address I’d keep your existing bank account if you have one it might come in handy. If you mail 10k to me I can give you cash as and when you need it! :xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back