Starter battery issues (1 Viewer)

Apr 1, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo
Exp
After some help as my starter battery isn’t holding charge very well, we have a 2018 burstner lyseo which came with a solar panel that charges the leisure battery I got the dealer to had a connection to the starter battery so once the leisure was charged it would trickle charge the main battery as the alarm and tracker are connected to it, all has worked fine since till last month I’m pretty sure it’s down to the lack of use and light as it’s been stuck in storage from months, so I have been going over every week to run the engine. I was wondering as I have a battery charger at home if I took the leisure one off would the solar stop working or would it continually charge the main battery solving the issue I have no idea how it all works and can’t ask the dealers as we got it from Becks and their not trading anymore, any thoughts would be much appreciated

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Where the battery positives go into the controller you could swap them over every week so the starter battery gets a good charge 👍
What controller is it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Starting the engine will probably take more out of the battery than you would replace in a 10 mile run
30 seconds is all that's needed to put the charge back in the battery that is used upon starting a modern vehicle
everything is much more efficient then it used to be years ago

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
30 seconds is all that's needed to put the charge back in the battery that is used upon starting a modern vehicle
everything is much more efficient then it used to be years ago
I was basing my advice on two things.

We had a 7 month old Ford Transit based motorhome and it was stored on a local farm. I took it out for a 20 mile run every 2 weeks and after doing this twice the battery was too low to start it

We have a 1 year old car with Stop/Start, which does not work unless the battery is fully charged. After starting you can always drive about 10 miles before the Stop/Start begins to function

Just my experience in practice, that may not be the same as the theory 😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I was basing my advice on two things.

We had a 7 month old Ford Transit based motorhome and it was stored on a local farm. I took it out for a 20 mile run every 2 weeks and after doing this twice the battery was too low to start it

We have a 1 year old car with Stop/Start, which does not work unless the battery is fully charged. After starting you can always drive about 10 miles before the Stop/Start begins to function

Just my experience in practice, that may not be the same as the theory 😀
30 seconds to put the energy used back into an already fully charged battery,
Your start stop will not work on the car until it is warm and the conditions are right

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I’m pretty sure it’s down to the lack of use and light as it’s been stuck in storage from months
You don't say how big the panel is but that's the cause in my book.
Solar is great when there's some sun but this time of year sun is neglegable most days... But the battery drain continues night and day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back