TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is there a spell checker on the site? I ask as before the big upgrade I could rely on it to sort out my clumsy typing but I noticed over a short period that it wouldn't always work and now doesn't at all. I've checked all the settings but can't see anything. I've also gone through my Windows settings but again can't find anything. I use Firefox as my browser and the spellchecker is on and the correct language selected.

So in order to keep everything legible, I'm having to check my typing before I hit the "Post" button. I'm already getting told off for the amount of time I spend on the forum..........!

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Are you posting via mobile or laptop /pc?

DOH! That was a dumb question, I can see you mentioned windows now so definitely PC then..
In that case you can turn on or install a spell check depending on what browser you use.
Firefox will have an "add-on"
Chrome will have an option of using web spell checker service after a few tick boxes on your machine

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Terry, what browser do you use? Some like Chrome do have spellcheckers built in.

Firefox

I use Firefox as my browser and the spellchecker is on and the correct language selected.

Firefox will have an "add-on"

I've also updated Firefox. Can't see/find any add-ons for a spellchecker.

'Tis a mystery!

EDIT: Think might have found the problem. Whilst investigating add-ons manager found out that latest version of Firefox has made older addons incompatible, although some still work. I did find a UK spellchecker add-on but it was built prior to this "upgrade" and no longer works.

Does anyone using Firefox use a spellchecker?

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
TerryL

In Firefox check this -
  • Click "Tools" in the toolbar
  • Click "Options" in the drop down box
  • In "General"
  • Click "Extensions and Themes" (bottom left)
  • Click "Dictionaries"
  • Do you have "British English Dictionary (updated) installed?
1564954309348.png

• Assuming so, close that tab down and back in "General"
  • Scroll down to "Language and Appearance"
  • Is "Check your spelling as you type" box ticked?
1564953889418.png

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Gellyneck - you got it! Didn't have a UK dictionary installed so went in search, found one and installed it. Must have been removed at the last Firefox update.

As a matter of interest I changed the language to US English and the spellchecker worked - I then found that there is a US dictionary installed. Changed back to UK English language and it now all works!

Many thanks!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back