Speeding in France (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Just as a side note ... I remember reading on a bike forum that devices capable of reporting speed cameras locations were illegal over there, including phones with sat nav camera poi's on them and that they would be removed and destroyed! Is that true, or Urban myth?

True that you're not allowed to have any device telling you where there is a speed cam. Now about what they do with the device ...I'd be surprised if they were allowed to destroy anything belonging to you

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Normally €90 if paid within a fortnight, €135 if you don't, increasing even more if you keep delaying..
Well if they're going to do it, lets hope they do it while 90 Euros is still less than £90.
It doesn't have anything to do with Avis per se. The rules are the same in any country in Europe.
In England, if you hire a car, and then bust a speed camera, the hire company (doesn't matter who it is so insert the name of a company you have a beef with here :D ) will be sent a S172 requirement to identify the driver. They will send the details back of the person who hired the vehicle, if they don't they are subject to extreme sanction under the law.
Consequently in this scenario, even if you are a foreigner, you will receive the prosecution notice. I have no idea how they would follow this up, my guess is that they wouldn't since you are entitled to ask for a trial, but that is only my opinion.

The other scenario is, you are driving your own vehicle in a foreign country, you get snapped a few k's over the limit. The enforcement agency I believe do actually ask DVLA for the details, however, since all EU countries refuse to supply DVLA with details when they ask, they refuse to supply them. So in this case you are fine.
It has been wrangling for a long time, DVLA want the rest of Europe to give up details of drivers to them when asked, but they refuse to reciprocate, therefore no country is prepared to bow to them.

To sum up, I am not sure where you stand. Avis may well have paid the fine and charged it back to you. You might try a recharge on Visa, but you'll probably find that there was something in the hire terms allowing them to do that. If you have been charged, well don't be too upset. The camera has done it's job, it has earned revenue, and you don't have any points on your licence. So win win, the camera did it's job (earning money) and you don't have to declare it on insurance etc. :D
No, they haven't paid the fine, not yet anyway. From the tone of their letter, I don't think they will, they were basically just saying they were obliged to give my details to the authorities, which they have done.
If I have to pay a fine, fair enough, I was breaking the law, no complaint there. The fact that Avis charged me 35 Euros is also OK I suppose, they sent me a letter and had to send a letter or email to the police, I'm sure a solicitor would charge a lot more for that. Or a banker!
But I am angry about the repair cost. The fact that they charged my credit card the day I handed the car back tells me they just made a figure up. Ah well, live and learn.:(

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I had possible situation where I believe I was flashed, twice, at Boulogne. (This July) Below is the section of road with the camera shortly after. I was in the left lane so thought they detected I was over 3.5 tonnes.
There was a lorry in front of me, we were doing 40/50 kph, note the 30kph sign, I guess he was flashed for exceeding speed and so was I except I was in left lane.
The camera is bit further on where it shows left lane as 70kph. I would have moved over sooner to the right but note solid white line!! so was forced ?? to use the max 3.5 tonnes lane.
So he was speeding and I was in wrong lane. Nothing heard.
flash.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had a cam flash me last week in France. I was doing 60 in a 68mph zone (4.6t MH) I think it went off due to the size of vehicle thinking I was a hgv and then 56mph would have been the limit. Anyone else had this?
Very similar,last year on the A 75 heading south. Didn't think I was speeding 60 mph but camera flashed. Asummed it was because we're over 3.5 ton ?.Had nothing come back yet.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The use of radar detectors is banned. The use of satnavs with camera locations is also banned. However satnavs that indicate speed limit areas, such as my Garmin Nuvi or dezl, are OK. Mine pings if I do even 1km over the limit and repeats until under the limit. This is useful as speeds change from 50km and 30km to 20km in a short distance in many French and Spanish towns.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
The fact that they charged my credit card the day I handed the car back tells me they just made a figure up. Ah well, live and learn.:(

I am only guessing, but maybe they have a price list they work from eg Windscreen £x; 1 body panel £xx and they charge that because by the time they've booked it in and done the work you might have cancelled your card and done a runner.

Or maybe they only charge a small deposit on the day and the FULL charge once the work is done! :Eeek:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I had a cam flash me last week in France. I was doing 60 in a 68mph zone (4.6t MH) I think it went off due to the size of vehicle thinking I was a hgv and then 56mph would have been the limit. Anyone else had this?

Yes we hd that a few times with the Rapido.
Never had any fine.
I think its the size that makes the camera go off but when they see its a Motorhome its all OK.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I had possible situation where I believe I was flashed, twice, at Boulogne. (This July) Below is the section of road with the camera shortly after. I was in the left lane so thought they detected I was over 3.5 tonnes.
There was a lorry in front of me, we were doing 40/50 kph, note the 30kph sign, I guess he was flashed for exceeding speed and so was I except I was in left lane.
The camera is bit further on where it shows left lane as 70kph. I would have moved over sooner to the right but note solid white line!! so was forced ?? to use the max 3.5 tonnes lane.
So he was speeding and I was in wrong lane. Nothing heard.
View attachment 129513

I was flashed going down that hill into Bolougne a couple of years ago, never heard anything.Should point out I'am 5t so should have been going slower.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Well if they're going to do it, lets hope they do it while 90 Euros is still less than £90.

No, they haven't paid the fine, not yet anyway. From the tone of their letter, I don't think they will, they were basically just saying they were obliged to give my details to the authorities, which they have done.
If I have to pay a fine, fair enough, I was breaking the law, no complaint there. The fact that Avis charged me 35 Euros is also OK I suppose, they sent me a letter and had to send a letter or email to the police, I'm sure a solicitor would charge a lot more for that. Or a banker!
But I am angry about the repair cost. The fact that they charged my credit card the day I handed the car back tells me they just made a figure up. Ah well, live and learn.:(

Its in the terms and conditions, you can pay extra for the insurance so it costs you nothing , but if you don't , they take the money, which is why they take your card swipe.

And its fixed price stuff, they lease the cars, and they have to go back as they came, so repairs have to be done and paid for.

At the end of the day , the car is damaged, it isn't their fault.

That's also why you should check it thoroughly before you leave, and photograph it when you drop it off, especially if its an unattended drop off.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Yes, has happen to me on several occasions. ( I live in France) Don't think you will hear anything from them.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
I got flashed last August in France...not heard a thing. Did a bit of research and it seems the French Authorities will be pursuing speed camera fines in other countries from 2017.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I am rather confused about being flashed by motorway speed cameras in France. The cruise control is set at a GPS actual speed of 60 mph, km equivalent 96.56.

The motorhome is an A class Hymer originally plated at 3.5 tonnes, uprated by SV Tech to 3.85 tonnes. As there is currently no exchange of vehicle details between France and the U.K. the camera can't know that the vehicle has been updated so to all intents and purposes I am travelling within the 100 kph limit.

Is it possible that the camera is triggered by the height of the motorhome, I.e. Does it think that it is a lorry in which case the limit would be exceeded?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I am rather confused about being flashed by motorway speed cameras in France. The cruise control is set at a GPS actual speed of 60 mph, km equivalent 96.56.

The motorhome is an A class Hymer originally plated at 3.5 tonnes, uprated by SV Tech to 3.85 tonnes. As there is currently no exchange of vehicle details between France and the U.K. the camera can't know that the vehicle has been updated so to all intents and purposes I am travelling within the 100 kph limit.

Is it possible that the camera is triggered by the height of the motorhome, I.e. Does it think that it is a lorry in which case the limit would be exceeded?
Surely, if you are over 3.5 tonnes the usual motorway speed limit in France is 110 kph not 100.
My Garmin always thinks the limit is 90 kph as we are 4.5 tonnes but I assume that is for HGV's.

Richard.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Just checked Richard and it appears that we are both wrong, the limit on French motorways for a motorhome over 3.5 tonnes is 90kph. Those speed cameras are more intelligent than I thought!:( Mike

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Just checked Richard and it appears that we are both wrong, the limit on French motorways for a motorhome over 3.5 tonnes is 90kph. Those speed cameras are more intelligent than I thought!:( Mike

80 kph ordinary road
100kph dual carriageway
110kph autoroute

if over 3.5t

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Stay home(y)

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

Methinks they have their knickers in a twist!
I think they are referring to commercial vehicles not motorhomes.
I have always understood that Camping-Cars under 3.5 tonnes have a max of 130 kph on autoroutes, same as cars but 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes are limited to 110 kph. Single carriageway roads the limit is 80 and dual carriageway is 100 kph.

The link below is from the Caravan Club who, I know, get some stick on here but are usually pretty accurate with their information.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overse...ents/speed-limits/speed-limits-for-motorhomes

Richard.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
It is home !!! I live here !!!

As I am too.

I copied this from the web site of the FFCC

Dans la majorité des cas, un camping-car poids lourd est soumis à la même règlementation en termes de circulation qu’un camion poids lourd. En matière de limitation de vitesse, il faut se référer à l’Art. R. 413-8-1 du code de la route (Décr. no 2006-1812 du 23 déc. 2006). Toutefois, la vitesse des véhicules visés à l'article R. 413-8 qui sont destinés au transport de personnes et dont le poids total autorisé en charge est supérieur à 3,5 tonnes et inférieur ou égal à 12 tonnes (Abrogé par Décr. no 2008-754 du 30 juill. 2008, art. 17) « , ou des ensembles de véhicules visés au même article dont le poids total autorisé en charge du véhicule tracteur est inférieur ou égal à 3,5 tonnes et le poids total roulant autorisé supérieur à 3,5 tonnes et inférieur ou égal à 12 tonnes, » est limitée à :
- 1° 110 km/h sur les autoroutes ;
- 2° 100 km/h sur les routes à deux chaussées séparées par un terre-plein central lorsqu'elles sont à caractère prioritaire et signalées comme telles ;
- 3° 80 km/h sur les autres routes.

Roughly translated it reads as : -
In the majority of cases a camping car of more than 3.5 t is subject to the same rules as a lorry. In the matter of speed limits one should refer to Reg 413-8 . . . .. If the weight is more than 3.5 t, but less than 12 t then the vehicle is limited to
- 1° 110 km/h on the autoroutes ;
- 2° 100 km/h sur les routes on the dual carriageway where there is seperation by a central reservation
- 3° 80 km/h on other routes.

I hope this provides some clarity.

J

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just as a side note ... I remember reading on a bike forum that devices capable of reporting speed cameras locations were illegal over there, including phones with sat nav camera poi's on them and that they would be removed and destroyed! Is that true, or Urban myth?

Don't want to hijack the thread but just out if interest, my car has built in sat nav and map display without navigation which both have speed alerts on them and camera alerts, and no way of turning them off that I can see. Would that be illegal in France?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Don't want to hijack the thread but just out if interest, my car has built in sat nav and map display without navigation which both have speed alerts on them and camera alerts, and no way of turning them off that I can see. Would that be illegal in France?
See my post above at #17.

Most sat-nav makers have disabled speed camera warnings for France and replaced them with "dangerous road section".
That section may or may not contain a camera but should be driven with caution.
That has been the case for several years now but check any updates for your system if it is an older car.
When in France the display should show something like 'Dangerous Road' when activated rather than 'Speed Camera".
I would expect any system released in the last few years to meet the French requirements, particularly as all car manufacturers export all over Europe and wouldn't fit a navigation system that was suitable just for the UK market.

Again, don't panic. (y):)

Richard.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Loosely associated anecdote.

A few years back I had a Ferrari pass me on the A9 just outside Montpellier and he wasn't hanging around - about 130mph at a guess. Moments later, siren barely audible, a Gendarmerie Pug 206 'hot (lol)in pursuit'. Smiling I imagined the drivers face, a picture of gritted determination, knuckles white on the steering wheel as he tried to squeeze every last ounce of speed out of the woefully ill-suited to purpose little oil burner.

"You've got two chances of catching him in that mate" I muttered, "Bob and no".

Don't you just hate being proven wrong? Couple of miles further down the road there's the Ferrari and cop car in an Aire. Obviously the Ferrari's driver had decided discretion was the better part of valour. Can't help but chuckle though when I imagine him ripping chunks out of his dealership because he couldn't outrun a lowly Peugeot 206.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Loosely associated anecdote.

A few years back I had a Ferrari pass me on the A9 just outside Montpellier and he wasn't hanging around - about 130mph at a guess. Moments later, siren barely audible, a Gendarmerie Pug 206 'hot (lol)in pursuit'. Smiling I imagined the drivers face, a picture of gritted determination, knuckles white on the steering wheel as he tried to squeeze every last ounce of speed out of the woefully ill-suited to purpose little oil burner.

"You've got two chances of catching him in that mate" I muttered, "Bob and no".

Don't you just hate being proven wrong? Couple of miles further down the road there's the Ferrari and cop car in an Aire. Obviously the Ferrari's driver had decided discretion was the better part of valour. Can't help but chuckle though when I imagine him ripping chunks out of his dealership because he couldn't outrun a lowly Peugeot 206.
I bet it was worth it, though. Even so, the 206 can't do that sort of speed, so the Ferrari must have backed off.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
No speed cameras in Skeggy........(y)(y)(y)(y)
Good job because i would drive through very fast just to get away,,,BUSBY:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back