Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have a spare wheel and jack on our Adria pvc.Bearing in mind that if we have a flat when out and about I'll be calling a breakdown how many people actually carry a jack which uses up payload.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
When I purchased my van, second hand, it came with a spare wheel but no jack.

I looked at a suitably rated trolley jack, soon realised that I would also need axle stands for security.

I joined Fun and did some reading. Chatted with an AA man is a layby.

With the advice gained I saved my money.

Had a blow out some time after. Watched the work of the AA man and realised what a good decision I had made.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have a spare wheel and jack on our Adria pvc.Bearing in mind that if we have a flat when out and about I'll be calling a breakdown how many people actually carry a jack which uses up payload

I don't have enough spare payload for either.............................and I'm as happy as Larry to leave to the breakdown insurance.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Spare wheel, E&P leveling jacks and a cordless impact wrench.
I would rather change a wheel myself rather than wait around 2 or 3 hour for a breakdown service to arrive.
Even more so while abroad if you have ever tried to arrange breakdown while your on the continent.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Costs me Ā£40 to call out breakdown. I change my own. I have a spare wheel and tyre iron in the back and a 12v pump to inflate them. I have had every wheel off my van to paint them and put them back.

I go to some remote places and don't want to wait for breakdown either.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Yep spare wheel and all the stuff needed to change a wheel, even sacrificial cheap waterproofs
Just bought a spare wheel,jack,etc for stepdaughters new to them qashqai as they have a new baby and I'm not having them sit by side of road waiting for rescuešŸ‘

Oh and I bought a spare for the partners diesel ka as well šŸ˜

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Spare, bottle jack and rechargeable air compressor . However my spare is underslung, no way am I crawling under by the side of the road for which I have breakdown cover. My cover is for any vehicle that myself or my wife is in.
Having had a sliced side wall in a previous Moho with no spare, breakdown refused to tow me anywhere other than the nearest safe place in case of damage to the Moho, rather take the wheel off and 2 days later came back with a gold plated new tyre, at least I thought it was due to the price! Now carry the spare so I can get to a better camping place than a very exposed A road lorry parking area!
Wishing everyone tyre trouble free motoring!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Have thought about this a few times and always decided to carry them
Most likely I would use breakdown services to change if I have the time
If there is no chance you would change the wheel yourself I wouldn't bother with the jack but you would still need the bits for getting the wheel of the carrier
Personally I would rather carry less water and top up with fresh more often
Really don't like water being in the tanks for days and days on end but that's an other debate that we have done to death

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
No jack no spare wheel phone breakdown insurance make a cup of tea and wait for them to turn up .no way would I ever use the provided jack its ment for a panel van

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
No jack no spare wheel phone breakdown insurance make a cup of tea and wait for them to turn up .no way would I ever use the provided jack its ment for a panel van
Mine works fine on my Peugeot Boxer,,,Would not travel without Jack or spare. BUSBY..

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I'm not sure I follow, most motorhomes are 3.5T and run close to that, a panel van is 3.5T and run close to that when fully loaded. Why would it be any different using the jack on a MH?

Nov 10, 2013
worcester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Yes carry Jack, wrench and spare wheel. Like Lenny will change wheel if safe to do so. Came in very handy in the middle of nowhere in France a couple of years ago. I dread to think how long the breakdown service would have taken to reach us. Changed wheel and had the puncture repaired at the next big town we passed through.
James

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I'm not sure I follow, most motorhomes are 3.5T and run close to that, a panel van is 3.5T and run close to that when fully loaded. Why would it be any different using the jack on a MH?
It's that the jack supplied is fairly naff
You have to be very careful with them
This is not particular to motor homes as supplied jacks for cars are the same

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
All prepared to change wheel myself .. we have HPC hydraulic jacks and carry spare wheel and torque wrench along with 12v compressor.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yep spare wheel and all the stuff needed to change a wheel, even sacrificial cheap waterproofs
Just bought a spare wheel,jack,etc for stepdaughters new to them qashqai as they have a new baby and I'm not having them sit by side of road waiting for rescuešŸ‘

Oh and I bought a spare for the partners diesel ka as well šŸ˜
Could you suggest something for our Smart car? šŸ˜

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Iā€™m with the ā€œchange it myself brigadeā€, even though Iā€™ve got spare wheel, jack, electric pump, puncture smegg, breakdown cover blah blah blah.. Iā€™d probably change the clutch before breakdown arrives....... and Iā€™ve got an automatic šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

# spotter alert ( I know itā€™s a comfortmatic, so technically itā€™s got a clutch šŸ™„šŸ‘)

Reactions: f6c
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Not on the motorway i hope,,,BUSBY.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
If you have breakdown insurance but donā€™t carry a spare wheel I would check if you are actually covered for punctures etc. Donā€™t think many recovery agents carry spare tyres and if you donā€™t have a spare you may need to pay for their services to take you to a place where it can be changed. Worth a few minutes to check the policy to make sure what the position is.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
It's compulsory in Spain to carry a spare wheel / space saver wheel and the tools to change it, or a can of puncher repair kit, last time I looked it was ā‚¬80 fine failing to have one, šŸ˜‰ but that could be more now. šŸ˜ Bob.
Quite a few illegal on here then,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
D

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks one and all.Bit torn as I am a plan for the worst and hope for the best type of chap.Will probably leave it at home there is no way I'm changing it whilst in the UK but will take it to Europe as a very last resort.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I would assume there are quite a few people who have no choice but to carry the can of goo to rectify a puncture because the converter has filled every conceivable mounting place with water tank,waste tank,gas tank, etc so unless they want to have the spare wheel in the bathroom it's not an option

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Spare wheel, E&P leveling jacks and a cordless impact wrench.
I would rather change a wheel myself rather than wait around 2 or 3 hour for a breakdown service to arrive.
Even more so while abroad if you have ever tried to arrange breakdown while your on the continent.
Especially if in remote area like Scandinavia , artic region , I carry piece of carpet to lower spare onto then can drag it out , good trolley jack and hard wood base etc . Got too try and cover all bases . Crack nuts and then tighten with own wheel brace before trip .

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
My van came without a spare.
So i designed a carrier bought a spare with same tyre. I would find some twt to throw out for payload issues.
I would not suggest anyone does without a spare.
Changing it is another matter.
But word of warning, i took advice from here and checked i could undo the wheel nuts.
Anybody got a spare 15inch fiat or Rapido hubcap.
Dont forget the tie wraps.

Reactions: Aji

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back