Spare wheel and jack (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We had a flat on a motorway in the Netherlands which did not have a hard shoulder, before we had chance to call for a mechanic to replace the wheel the police were there diverting traffic around us so that the mechanics could left the side on the traffic side. The dangerous situation we were in was obvious to me having heard of people being killed changing a wheel on the traffic side so do not do it, leave it to the professionals. Additionally, do you have the lifting capacity (a low height bottle jack, etc ?) to lift the vehicle high enough to get the replacement wheel onto the vehicle as the axle beam on a Ducato leaf spring suspension is very low with a flat tyre.
As I said earlier,drive the flat wheel up a levelling ramp,,,less jacking needed and should give you clearance to slide jack under the axle..BUSBY.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi there - I carry a jack but having seen the impact of side winds caused by trucks on the motorway, I call out the breakdown guys if needed. Maybe when the self-levelers are fitted I would do it myself.
If you have ever seen a vehicle come off a jack when the wheel is off - you would think twice about getting anywhere near it on a busy road.
I look ugly enough without a Motorhome parked on my face.

D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Further to my previous posts #18 & #45 I also carry an extending wheel wrench along with a aluminium wheel alignment stud, which makes live so much easier lifting a wheel back on to its hub.
1621003503670.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back