Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Good Morning all.
Thinking of a quick jaunt to Spain but not in the MoHo.
Just wondering, as I have not been since full lockdown or Br.x.t, if they are now just as much embroiled as we are with cashless payments using your bank card.
If so, and I take my UK bank account debit card, will I pay in Euro and then its converted at that days rate whenever the transaction materialises, or will it now not work at all, and I would be better off with cash to start, and go to the bureau de change and raise cash there from my card if I need more
Is cash better, and / or anyone have any info regarding what bank/ exchange rate charges are being currently applied.
Must say, I am thinking for a quick few days, cash might be easier.
Ta very much šŸ˜Š

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
In Nerja now. I use a Starling card. Good currency conversion as I have a GB and Euro account. I withdraw cash at the Sabadell bank and the charge is 1.80 Euros to use ATM.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have always used ATM's and paid bills with a debit card in local currency, i.e. Euros, as my bank's exchange rate is far better than that of the foreign national bank. I don't bother with pre-loaded cards (e.g. Revolut?) as more than enough money is already available in my bank account.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have an FX card with some Euros on it as a backup. Mostly just use Halifax Clarity credit card and take some cash with us. Supermarkets, garages and restaurants all take cards.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Thanks for the replies folks.
So, will my visa debit card with Barclays be ok to pay for things as we do here ie tap and go?

Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Halifax clarity card (Mastercard). Low credit limit but enough for a trip. Always Pay using local currencies as then daily Mastercard rate applied. No additional charges for use, (no currency conversions). Use as tap and pay, insert or withdraw cash from ATM just as you would any ccard. Used mine for 3 trips last year only in EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We use a combination of Halifax Clarity card, Revolut & Metro Bank.
When using wifi on the card machine I think the limit is ā‚¬45 but just to confuse you in Spain for higher amounts you can use the wifi then enter your pin. I find it great until I come back to the UK then the shop assistant wonders what I doing. :giggle:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
So, will my visa debit card with Barclays be ok to pay for things as we do here ie tap and go?
I've never had any issues anywhere when using my Lloyds and Nationwide debit cards. I haven't had a credit card since I handed back my company Amex card 15 years ago.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Am in Spain now and mainly used a fee free credit card. No issues anywhere

It has always asked whether to pay in euros or sterling and I always choose euros for reasons already mentioned.

I have also used cash for some payments but the card payments are very common now. Would still recommend you keep a few euros in your wallet though.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
My Barclays debt card gives good rate of exchange but 0.5% handling fee. It's as good as buying Euros in the UK. Personally using revolut at the moment and Euros as some bars are cash only. I don't use cards on phone wallet as cannot draw cash out of ATM and seen a lot of people struggling with phone signal at payment. Also have Barclays app so phone pings everytine it is used to stop it if cloned

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
Chase card hands down cashback and zero charges, other options that are not cashback Nationwide or Halifax

Feb 6, 2019
No fixed address, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
I have also used cash for some payments but the card payments are very common now. Would still recommend you keep a few euros in your wallet though.
Good point!
Don't assume that everywhere will take a card for smaller amounts. In several smaller local businesses - particularly corner food stores, there is a limit for card payments below which they won't go - usually ā‚¬5 but sometimes ā‚¬10.

Seeing since the idea of MH is not to spend unnecessarily, it is wise to have a stash of cash.

Also, be careful with Spainland bank machines when you use them in cardless or 'I'm not a customer' mode. I have noted that they are starting to charge at certain times to carry out certain transactions which were previously free, e.g. cash paying a paper-based utility bill incurs a ā‚¬2.50 fee between 9am-3pm at smart BBVA machines, which isn't applied later. I imagine this is part of a rolling strategy to introduce commission charges for all non-customer transations.

Fees like this may not seem much but are no joke. Carry out 10 transactions that incur a ā‚¬1.50 fee and you have paid a bank ā‚¬15, which is the price of a cheap&cheerful menu-lunch where I live or a night's site fee at a local MH park. 'Every little counts' as we are often reminded!

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
2021 we found Spain had a thriving cash economy and imo seemed to prefer cash payment.
That was my initial leaning towards what might be best, but thought I would ask.
From the replies , my question/ concern seems to have created some level of interest, which may also help others.
Thanks šŸ˜Š

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
We spent 6 weeks in Spain earlier this year and didnā€™t use more than about 200 euros in cash. Everywhere seemed to accept contactless up to 50 euros. Just used our Barclays debit card with a linked travel wallet and our Platinum travel Barclaycard.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
In Spain at the minute on week 6 , I use clarity card for everything mostly. Have used less than 40 euros cash . Everywhere takes card and with clarity there's no fees .

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Cashpassport.com - its a Mastercard backed card that you preloaded with an amount of your choice in sterling then through the app or website you can convert it to which ever currency you want when ever you need to.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
First thing you need to do is check the charges Barclays make for using your card abroad. There could be a conversion charge and commission for payments and ATM withdrawals.

We have Curve cards they are an intermediary company which you link your cards to and then use the Curve card to pay for stuff, this makes your UK card issuer only see the transactions in Ā£ so no fees etc - quite a few threads on here about Curve.

We also have Chase with no fees for using it as well as Revolut for cash withdrawals.

As backups we also have Virgin CCs with no charges for purchases.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Currently in Spain using a fee free Nationwide Select Cedit card for all fuel purchases and stopover fees.
For cash withdrawals, we are using a fee free Metro debit card. All transactions for both cards are done in Euros. (y)

I can't be bothered with the "card loading App type" banking. I just make sure my card usage is fee free before I set off.

One thing I do find annoying, is the ring fencing of ā‚¬200 a time, by Filling Station selve service pumps, for fuel you haven't purchased. Before we were in Spain, our credit card account showed an expenditure of Ā£671. :Eeek:
Admittedly, it was all sorted out within 3 x days, but annoyingly scary nonetheless. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Dec 9, 2017
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amudsen
Chase Bank with great exchange rate and 1% cash back. Use my Applepay on phone then there are no upper limits on contactless.
No problems using this in Spain or France.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Currently in Spain using a fee free Nationwide Select Cedit card for all fuel purchases and stopover fees.
For cash withdrawals, we are using a fee free Metro debit card. All transactions for both cards are done in Euros. (y)

I can't be bothered with the "card loading App type" banking. I just make sure my card usage is fee free before I set off.

One thing I do find annoying, is the ring fencing of ā‚¬200 a time, by Filling Station selve service pumps, for fuel you haven't purchased. Before we were in Spain, our credit card account showed an expenditure of Ā£671. :Eeek:
Admittedly, it was all sorted out within 3 x days, but annoyingly scary nonetheless. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)
I have only had that happen to me once in 23 years,,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back