Sold Motorhome and calling it a day (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Voyager of the Seas November 2004. We dressed for dinner every night. Standards have slipped since then: on our cruise to Norway with Celebrity the chap next to me on our table wore a tee shirt and jeans every evening...

View attachment 585916
I do and did get togged up, however i am far more comfortable in a shirt and jacket.......... occasionally with a tie.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Mate and his wife just come back from a 2 week Caribbean cruise they said it was wonderful and only £1300 each including all flights.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
As I use to take Mum and dad plus my 2 kids we just went outside and hired a minibus to take us places, all Caribbean islands have hundreds😁
Instead of 6x about $100 a head with the tour guide we would be paying $150 all in for the day😁😁
Agreed. In Mombasa we hired a friendly taxi driver for the afternoon. $25.00!
He took us everywhere that he would get a commission if we bought anything...;)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
We have just sold our Laika and ended our short lived motorhome life style, We both sat down and discussed this and we were both tired and stressed and had enough. Every motorhome we have owned has had problem after problem and the Laika was the final straw, I know it comes with the territory repairs etc on older vehicles , but read enough on here to know its not just the old ones. AMC , Lower Dicker, Hailsham didn't help matters with the Laika but that,s our own fault for not checking the motorhome properly before purchase, They supplied hab check/ damp check etc but not worth paper its written on, we went on there supposedly good reputation and supposedly good reviews.
Fridge didn,t work, We ripped that out and replaced with new, I found damp in rear toilet shower wall, we fixed that also, believe me if it wasn,t so far to return the motorhome would have done it. Its a shame because we loved the Laika and the only winner is the new owner after we repaired everything. I am not saying we wont buy another one but if we do it will be a while, and when the bubble bursts with stupid prices, give it 6 months to a year and there will be loads for sale at a lot lower prices.
I wont be on as much due to not having mh anymore but would like to thank everyone who has welcomed us and helped us when we needed it.
Happy touring and stay safe.
Sounds like you were sold a "lemon". As with buying a car the rule of thumb is "let the buyer beware" so leaving the checking entirely to the dealer, IMHO, is not the best way to go about buying. i have had with my moho purchased late 2017 which apart from the throttle control at purchase eventually diagnosed by me to a split rubber hose about 4 or 5 inches long which i fixed with a new one and self amalgamating tape has been down to me. Euramobil are a make you find the European hirers (German/Dutch renting because of their quality among other things, cost i presume. My German friends would agree and the service i get from the factory if i have a question is second to none.
The dealer up in Preston would not release the vehicle to me until they fixed the throttle problem and paid for my return train tavel home when i went to collect it so they agreed to deliver it, about 125 miles away. The split came to light, when i was returning home from the West country, as a slight misfire on acceleration. For the sake of a roller the aforementioned self amalgamating tape it was not worth returning it. It was on a trip to Cuxhaven that the tyres blew due to them being the wrong tyres for the load, diagnosed but the German Police who came to my rescue who could not be faulted for their help. The dealers refunded the cost fo four new tyres so no hassle there, three in bought in Germany as i was using a spare wheel with the correct tyre, the remaining tyre was replaced in the UK as the German tyre place only had three.
I have had worse happen in my African car travels and so tend to be a bit more self reliant than the average motorist.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Ive got a nice view off my balcony

Attachments

• 298D0D2A-EFF7-4669-B884-0DF8BD7A441A.jpeg
    298D0D2A-EFF7-4669-B884-0DF8BD7A441A.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 62

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
See me and the misses just did the same and sold our Motorhome but purchased a caravan owe and a car to pull it, why instead of paying out on two cars and a Motorhome we are now paying just for two.

As for selling up and going on trips naaaaa trips once that monies gone it’s gone and nothing to show for it, might as well set it on fire and watch it burn, at least with say a MoHo, caravan a holiday home you have something to show for it.

I was thinking the same HOLIDAYS YEH but I can drive to the tunnel, 45 mins later in in France and a few hours later on a beach with something physical in my hands, my caravan.

Im for living now because who knows what’s going to happen in the next 5 mins, day, week or month who knows so enjoy it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fairly new, since Sept 2016
Because of the terrible problems we had with our first motorhome (bought brand new) with arguments with dealer and warranty and multiple trips to get the same thing repaired, when it came to change I bought direct from manufacturer who also look after it.

When odd things have gone wrong it has been no questions asked and sorted even now as the van is in it’s third year and have had zero repair costs. I feel lucky to have been able to buy British from a manufacturer within 75 minutes drive. Clearly not everyone can do that but it has certainly worked for us.
What manufacturer is that please? We had a similar experience as you with our first motorhome. An Adria with a malfunctioning electric bed.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Really sorry to hear that. Perhaps after a sabbatical you just might start looking for another one. Something to do with your DNA!!! Anyway enjoy your ‘retirement’, temporary or otherwise.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Whatever you do ....do not ever ever consider getting a boat....if you think Motorhomes are a money pit and stressful then a boat will kill you...😉
Agreed. I've owned four, and it's like standing in a cold shower and tearing up fifty pound notes. Then I bought a 911 Carrera 2 S...:eek:

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
I'll wager that a year down the line; every time you see a van, you'll regret your decision. I hope that s not true in your case but it is for many. Best of luck.
A year Jim-it only took weeks for us-in fact when we sold our Hymer Starline 655 in September 2020 because we weren’t using it and couldn’t see when we would be able to-we regretted it as it drove away down the road…..
We downsized to an Autosleeper Warwick Duo in May 2021 which was a good van but didn’t have enough storage for us and we got fed up with moving all the seating around to make the bed, so we traded that in against our current Hymer Exsis I 414-which we are very happy with.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Agree boats are a money pit. Cost's more than a misstress..........i've been told. I've had one.....................that's for you to decide which it was.;)

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I doubt any Bike, car, motorhome, caravan, will ever be without fault,but we choose to do this,and I can put up with general bits and pieces that need doing,,but even those will never knock the fun and excitement,I feel when we poodle off on a trip,it’s either for you or it’s not,I can understand both sides of the argument,, but at the moment it’s a huge plus for me👍👍

Sep 8, 2017
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4
Exp
Since March 2015
Because of the terrible problems we had with our first motorhome (bought brand new) with arguments with dealer and warranty and multiple trips to get the same thing repaired, when it came to change I bought direct from manufacturer who also look after it.

When odd things have gone wrong it has been no questions asked and sorted even now as the van is in it’s third year and have had zero repair costs. I feel lucky to have been able to buy British from a manufacturer within 75 minutes drive. Clearly not everyone can do that but it has certainly worked for us.
Who is the manufacturer please?

Monkeynuts2215

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 6, 2020
Ashford Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 600
Exp
We have just sold our Laika and ended our short lived motorhome life style, We both sat down and discussed this and we were both tired and stressed and had enough. Every motorhome we have owned has had problem after problem and the Laika was the final straw, I know it comes with the territory repairs etc on older vehicles , but read enough on here to know its not just the old ones. AMC , Lower Dicker, Hailsham didn't help matters with the Laika but that,s our own fault for not checking the motorhome properly before purchase, They supplied hab check/ damp check etc but not worth paper its written on, we went on there supposedly good reputation and supposedly good reviews.
Fridge didn,t work, We ripped that out and replaced with new, I found damp in rear toilet shower wall, we fixed that also, believe me if it wasn,t so far to return the motorhome would have done it. Its a shame because we loved the Laika and the only winner is the new owner after we repaired everything. I am not saying we wont buy another one but if we do it will be a while, and when the bubble bursts with stupid prices, give it 6 months to a year and there will be loads for sale at a lot lower prices.
I wont be on as much due to not having mh anymore but would like to thank everyone who has welcomed us and helped us when we needed it.

Monkeynuts2215

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 6, 2020
Ashford Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 600
Exp
Good Luck for your future plans you will bounce back

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Good Luck for your future plans you will bounce back
I agree you'll find your next bit of fun somewhere.
Funnily enough I saw a Laika in AMC..... They have a good reputation for fixing stuff, but I had an unfortunate experience there with a Sebastopol. (for gods sake thats spell check for you I mean WEBASTO) that they couldn't fix and it cost me dearly.
Conversely for all the moans about Marquis I had really good service from the Marquis dealership at Hailsham.
Some of it is hit and miss.
Agree with Monkeynuts best wishes and good luck whatever you do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back