Sold Motorhome and calling it a day (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Had a Bmw 5 Series form new, everything fine until out of warranty then the 'go wrong chip' fired up most unrelia le care I have ever owned. I traded it in for a new Volvo and subsequently was told by the Volvo dealer on collection of my new car that the trader brought it back to them!
Bit thick here but don't understand dealer relationshil

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
It is a very expensive hobby when you factor in running costs and depreciatio. We are on motorhome number 18:and I dread to think how much we have lost over the past 40+ years. But for all it’s faults I wouldn’t change any of it. We still absolutely love it as do our children and grandchildre. The freedom to go where you want whenever you want still thrills us.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Pesky rabbit:- i feel your pain,we packed in 10 years ago one january
after numerous problems (expensive ones) and bad service, our autotrail arapaho, went bananas with the electric step,all night,in out in out,by morning we went to walk into bridlington,and the van wouldnt lock,hubby went ape! ………Oh Please!!this is supposed to be relaxing ,
we returned and sold back to dealers that very same day(big loss)
i was very sad and would love another,but he wants long haul,cruises,and leger coach trips to war /military breaks 🤗
must admit at the time it was a bit of a relief, but i just love motorhomes ,
good luck with whatever you do,cheers pampam
Cruise,,my nightmare.Give me my 19 year old small motorhome any day.BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
How you can be stuck in the middle of the sea with the same boring folks everyday who you can't get away from and call it a holiday ,beats me :(
It’s not called a holiday, it’s called a “floating buffet” 😉😁

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have read through this thread again as it has reappeared, and although I may get shot down in flames, as usual, I think a lot of the trouble stems from from people paying way too much for a motorhome before having really checked it out, they seem to think that going to a dealer and paying out tens or even hundreds :Eeek: of thousands is going to get them a rolling palace for ever.
Whereas you only have to look back at the threads on this forum and indeed even this very one that it is going to be far from the case.
If they paid way less money for these things and go for an older but less of a status symble a few niggles would just pass them by, no worries.
And if you paid less money in the first place you would have some spare to mend any problems and even spend on your own improvements.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We were lucky, and spent the wife's inheritance on a new Rimor. Believe me, new is no guarantee of fault-free motorhoming! A few months after delivery, we noticed that one of the windows had no sealant! The three ring gas stove burns yellow & hisses like an angry snake, but this is never replicated at the workshops! A host of smaller issues bugged us as well

The issue for me is the cost of personalising it. We have upgraded the boiler, made the rear bed an electric lifting bed and am getting semi air suspension fitted. It is the biggest drain on funds aside from the hoose. But I suppose if I was a hang glider driver, or a motorbikeist, then I'd get the best gear in that as well.

Best of luck to the OP, but I read the suggestions of a doing a cruise and shuddered. Might as well go round licking the cups of patients in a Covid or Norovirus hospital ward. And the view? "Oh look there is the sea! Again!" I like the sea, but I also like mountains, local wine, rivers, wildfowl wetlands, local food, medieval towns & castles, lakes, architecture, different cultures, etc.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Because of the terrible problems we had with our first motorhome (bought brand new) with arguments with dealer and warranty and multiple trips to get the same thing repaired, when it came to change I bought direct from manufacturer who also look after it.

When odd things have gone wrong it has been no questions asked and sorted even now as the van is in it’s third year and have had zero repair costs. I feel lucky to have been able to buy British from a manufacturer within 75 minutes drive. Clearly not everyone can do that but it has certainly worked for us.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
We bought a new Carthago A-Class, less than 7 miles on the odometer .... drove off the forecourt at Wellington, and by the time I had pulled onto the M5 (literally 3 minutes) I was almost beside myself with the amount of knocking, rattling, shaking, wobbling and clanging going on in the cab. The rear camera monitor screen was vibrating so badly you truly couldn't see in it to use it whilst moving. Sadly, despite all the salesman's spiel, there will always be a plethora of faults waiting to be resolved on any vehicle, be it new or used. If our new van had actually had a PDI, I reckon it must have been done by a deaf, dumb, and blind man!

So far I have managed to resolve most of the dreadful noises, mostly by tightening things up, using dampers wedged in places to stop movement, but the hidden TV monitor is the bane of my life at present, it clanks and clangs whenever we go over a bump or hit a pothole/rut. No matter what I try to stop it from being affected by the ride it still wants to annoy me :mad:

Opened a warranty claim for the defects spotted and noted on the forecourt (and inspected properly once we were at home). Contacted said dealership only yesterday, in fact, to be told that almost two months on, no spares had been authorised or ordered in, as there was a procedure to be followed and until I have returned the vehicle for them to inspect my findings, they cannot proceed .... sad really, but hey, I can play the long game too.

Quite how they think I would have managed to have chipped the TV monitor screen whilst driving home, or indeed, ruptured the laminate on the drop-down pocket flap under the pull-down bed (which is clearly snagged on the hinge fitting) is beyond me, but, we're into it now, and we won't let it spoil our enjoyment of loving the moho life.

Good luck on your decision to sell your Laika, I can honestly say, we have felt your pain too.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We've feel your pain of motorhome ownership. The very bust of luck in any new venture you pursue.
Dealer and manufacturer support is very thin on the ground which doesn't inspire confidence.
We have suffered the agonising situation of disgusting quality on most of our 13 motorhomes. We've owned this one for over 7 years but usually change them every 4. Due to the high percentage of total new rubbish on sale we have decided to keep the van we know.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We bought a new Carthago A-Class, less than 7 miles on the odometer .... drove off the forecourt at Wellington, and by the time I had pulled onto the M5 (literally 3 minutes) I was almost beside myself with the amount of knocking, rattling, shaking, wobbling and clanging going on in the cab. The rear camera monitor screen was vibrating so badly you truly couldn't see in it to use it whilst moving. Sadly, despite all the salesman's spiel, there will always be a plethora of faults waiting to be resolved on any vehicle, be it new or used. If our new van had actually had a PDI, I reckon it must have been done by a deaf, dumb, and blind man!

So far I have managed to resolve most of the dreadful noises, mostly by tightening things up, using dampers wedged in places to stop movement, but the hidden TV monitor is the bane of my life at present, it clanks and clangs whenever we go over a bump or hit a pothole/rut. No matter what I try to stop it from being affected by the ride it still wants to annoy me :mad:

Opened a warranty claim for the defects spotted and noted on the forecourt (and inspected properly once we were at home). Contacted said dealership only yesterday, in fact, to be told that almost two months on, no spares had been authorised or ordered in, as there was a procedure to be followed and until I have returned the vehicle for them to inspect my findings, they cannot proceed .... sad really, but hey, I can play the long game too.

Quite how they think I would have managed to have chipped the TV monitor screen whilst driving home, or indeed, ruptured the laminate on the drop-down pocket flap under the pull-down bed (which is clearly snagged on the hinge fitting) is beyond me, but, we're into it now, and we won't let it spoil our enjoyment of loving the moho life.

Good luck on your decision to sell your Laika, I can honestly say, we have felt your pain too.
So sorry you also have issues with a so called quality brand (tongue in cheek).
We also purchased a Carthago A Class a few years ago and experienced unacceptable build issues. We ended up rectifying them all ourselves and help from a friend. Our faults even included water ingress into the garage. My dealer went very deaf when I asked for help.
I'm now convinced a so called top brand is sold by a top brand cowboy dealer.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Had you not had a run in it before you handed over your money, surely if it only took 3 minutes to find these things you should have known first.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Good luck with what ever you decide to do,(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In almost 60 years of motoring I have never had the slightest inclination to have to take anything back to where it came from, cars, vans , pickups, motorhomes, any sort of vehicle, has never come with something I wasn't expecting after thougherly inspecting them, new or second hand.
If you are not mechanically minded or prepared to spend a lorra lorra money , motorhomeing is not for you. :(

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
So sorry you also have issues with a so called quality brand (tongue in cheek).
We also purchased a Carthago A Class a few years ago and experienced unacceptable build issues. We ended up rectifying them all ourselves and help from a friend. Our faults even included water ingress into the garage. My dealer went very deaf when I asked for help.
I'm now convinced a so called top brand is sold by a top brand cowboy dealer.
So far, the overall build quality is holding up to expectations, it's just the silly niggly things that really ought to have been spotted and rectified by the dealership, but they're pleading the Covid as their main reason for being unable to have done their job correctly. Pull-down bed latching pin, it literally just fell off in my hand when I fingered it to see what was rattling. Five mins with a ring spanner and it's resolved, but surely that's what a PDI is supposed to pick up on?

What really made me feel sick to the core was the hidden damage to the bodywork, which I discovered lurking under the plastic cowling which covers the near side mirror. Because of the dreadful, non-existent valet attention, I had no choice but to give the van a proper deep clean on the outside, and whilst removing months of deposited tree debris, green muck and sticky bits incurred from the trees around their parking lot, I found a fractured body panel, seemingly where the mirror arm had been attached to the van body, and possibly overtightened. If I hadn't had cause to tease up the moulded cover to remove the muck I would never have seen it or noticed it was there.

Not blaming the dealership for that one, you cannot see it unless you move the moulded cover, but whoever mounted that mirror assembly had to have known they had caused the damage to the bodywork :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_9173_muck stuck in top of bus mirror housing.jpeg
    IMG_9173_muck stuck in top of bus mirror housing.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9175 - Distressed roof joint sealing strip.jpeg
    IMG_9175 - Distressed roof joint sealing strip.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9180_damaged bodywork.JPG
    IMG_9180_damaged bodywork.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9188_damaged bodywork.jpeg
    IMG_9188_damaged bodywork.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 109

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
In almost 60 years of motoring I have never had the slightest inclination to have to take anything back to where it came from, cars, vans , pickups, motorhomes, any sort of vehicle, has never come with something I wasn't expecting after thougherly inspecting them, new or second hand.
If you are not mechanically minded or prepared to spend a lorra lorra money , motorhomeing is not for you. :(
I don’t think everyone is mechanically minded or has loads of dosh, its just a matter of choice of what you want to do, I think the OP has just had enough and that’s his choice,an airline pilot can fly but can’t fix the plane,,,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don’t think everyone is mechanically minded or has loads of dosh, its just a matter of choice of what you want to do, I think the OP has just had enough and that’s his choice,an airline pilot can fly but can’t fix the plane,,,
Wasn't really meaning the op just a bit of advice for anyone thinking of setting up with a motorhome.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
So far, the overall build quality is holding up to expectations, it's just the silly niggly things that really ought to have been spotted and rectified by the dealership, but they're pleading the Covid as their main reason for being unable to have done their job correctly. Pull-down bed latching pin, it literally just fell off in my hand when I fingered it to see what was rattling. Five mins with a ring spanner and it's resolved, but surely that's what a PDI is supposed to pick up on?

What really made me feel sick to the core was the hidden damage to the bodywork, which I discovered lurking under the plastic cowling which covers the near side mirror. Because of the dreadful, non-existent valet attention, I had no choice but to give the van a proper deep clean on the outside, and whilst removing months of deposited tree debris, green muck and sticky bits incurred from the trees around their parking lot, I found a fractured body panel, seemingly where the mirror arm had been attached to the van body, and possibly overtightened. If I hadn't had cause to tease up the moulded cover to remove the muck I would never have seen it or noticed it was there.

Not blaming the dealership for that one, you cannot see it unless you move the moulded cover, but whoever mounted that mirror assembly had to have known they had caused the damage to the bodywork :mad:
My sister buys high end Mercedes and BMW cars. No matter what her complaint they collect the car and rectify the problem instantly. Why can't high end motorhome dealers do the same?
I don't know what they'll blame when Covid settles.
The very best of luck in the future.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
But you’re still on a Motorhome forum 🤔
Lots of people who give up motorhomes, or move back to caravans are still here. One day you won't have a motorhome, but if you have friends here we won't insist you leave them behind like other clubs do. This community has always been more about people than what they drive.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Lots of people who give up motorhomes, or move back to caravans are still here. One day you won't have a motorhome, but if you have friends here we won't insist you leave them behind like other clubs do. This community has always been more about people than what they drive.
We are “between motorhomes” due to present circumstances and still come on most days :giggle:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
No matter what her complaint they collect the car and rectify the problem instantly.

One of our biggest gripes about owning and buying new vans was the time it took to repair the many faults.....and we had our fair share!!

We had two occasssions when the repairs were completed at the 16 to 20-week point but in most cases our warranty work jobs took 24 to 30-weeks to complete and in once instance it took 60-weeks and yet we never quite achieved a satisfactory outcome.

The thing which I don't miss about van ownership is waiting for the next significant fault to occur.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
A lot of problems listed.

See my post #9 above.

Am I lucky or just chose better?

Geoff
It’s a bit of both Geoff

we parked next to a Swedish bloke last Oct in Los Alcazares who had a dossier about his N&B saying it was the worst MH he’d ever owned, I was shocked when he told me the amount and severity of some of issues he’d had with it.

My mate reckons he’s done £10k miles going back and forth to his dealer with his Hymer, it’s coming up to 6 years old now and hopefully he’s just got it finally sorted.

The OP says he’s an ex Autotrail owner and had issues with that as well, whereas I’m absolutely chuffed to bits with ours and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.

In his case and many many others, I think choosing the right dealer is absolute paramount, travelling 3/4/5/6/7/8 hours to your dealer just to save £100 to do a “deal” is crackers imho.

Our dealer is 25 mins away from us, Autotrail are 70 mins away and that for me has been a MASSIVE bonus.

Al 👍

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
We spent a long time looking round each motorhome we viewed so we knew exactly what we would be getting if we purchased it. We found plenty in dealers that had major issues, floors rotted out, shower trays collapsing etc. But when we enquired what the dealers would do about the issues, they said nothing would be done until someone purchased them paying a non refundable deposit. Then the vehicle would go through the workshop. They would not tell us how repairs would be done, nor carry out repairs prior to purchase allowing us to inspect the work. So naturally we walked away from a good many.
This crazy year it seems there are a lot of MHs being sold that are in poor condition so you really have to scrutinise any potential purchase. We're on our 1st trip in our new (to us) Burstner and we know every inch of it. We bought privately and we checked everything in it worked before we bought it.
Hope the OP enjoys whatever they do next. The freedom MH allow is priceless to us.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I forgot to mention, I may have a few things for sale soon in classifieds, so keep an eye out, Off the top of my head I have a 6kg full bottle of propane if anyone wants it and is in the area then pm me with an offer.
Sorry to hear your tale but reading it seems to show it's not motorhoming but just a bad experience. If you have Hope's to come back to motorhoming don't be to eager to sell, everything. Your things will still be valuable in 12 months time but may be hard to replace.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
River cruise ?

:imoutahere:
Must have done ten narrowboat trips over the years. Loved them, but too old and decrepit now. You get the same lack of living space, same chemical khazi pong, same water filling, same poop tank emptying, same tiny kitchen, same wafer thin mattress (we upgraded to tri-layer ortho foam in our bus), same tiny freezer space; basically a motorhome on the water, but with lock gates and lift bridges to contend with!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back