Sold Motorhome and calling it a day (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Must have done ten narrowboat trips over the years. Loved them, but too old and decrepit now. You get the same lack of living space, same chemical khazi pong, same water filling, same poop tank emptying, same tiny kitchen, same wafer thin mattress (we upgraded to tri-layer ortho foam in our bus), same tiny freezer space; basically a motorhome on the water, but with lock gates and lift bridges to contend with!
That's not how Jane McDonald does river cruises - it's on the telly, so it must be 100% the truth :whistle2:

1629887777934_copy_800x533.jpg

:LOL:

Jun 19, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Expedition 66
Exp
Nee
How you can be stuck in the middle of the sea with the same boring folks everyday who you can't get away from and call it a holiday ,beats me :(

I quite enjoy a cruise, Iā€™m going on one in March. A different port and/or surrounding area to explore most days, and usually quite a bit of space on board too. Also, far more snooty folk on board than boring ones šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've done a fair few cruises to places you can't readily go with a motorhome, Svalbard, Greenland, Iceland for starters. They are different but enjoyable. As for the weight issue, use the stairs instead of the lifts. ;)

wolfmanhowlin

Free Member
Feb 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
talbot express
i have a liaka and got it when covit started came on a trailer unseen i know anyway after the lock down good timeing for the seller it failed its mot shed lots of stuff strange as it had failed and then passed with same things then got it trailered to archway garage who did work it dident need and had it for six weeks and landed me a Ā£2000 bill and would run when they dumped it on my front un taxed when they knew i wasent there and now iv had it 2 years and havent driven it any were and had to sort the carb out my self and im 68 lol the joy of it all the electric step wont work so getting in and out a advenerlol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We have just sold our Laika and ended our short lived motorhome life style, We both sat down and discussed this and we were both tired and stressed and had enough. Every motorhome we have owned has had problem after problem and the Laika was the final straw, I know it comes with the territory repairs etc on older vehicles , but read enough on here to know its not just the old ones. AMC , Lower Dicker, Hailsham didn't help matters with the Laika but that,s our own fault for not checking the motorhome properly before purchase, They supplied hab check/ damp check etc but not worth paper its written on, we went on there supposedly good reputation and supposedly good reviews.
Fridge didn,t work, We ripped that out and replaced with new, I found damp in rear toilet shower wall, we fixed that also, believe me if it wasn,t so far to return the motorhome would have done it. Its a shame because we loved the Laika and the only winner is the new owner after we repaired everything. I am not saying we wont buy another one but if we do it will be a while, and when the bubble bursts with stupid prices, give it 6 months to a year and there will be loads for sale at a lot lower prices.
I wont be on as much due to not having mh anymore but would like to thank everyone who has welcomed us and helped us when we needed it.
Happy touring and stay safe.
Well done selling while prices are high
Hope you have recouped some of you additional outlay.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I forgot to mention, I may have a few things for sale soon in classifieds, so keep an eye out, Off the top of my head I have a 6kg full bottle of propane if anyone wants it and is in the area then pm me with an offer.
You must be creaming it nowšŸ™‚

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Weā€™re feeling the same way at the moment, weā€™re in the middle of a big fight with Elddis and Marquis over warranty repairs. Elddis wonā€™t pay because the 3rd year check was carried out 2 weeks too late due to Marquis being closed because of Covid lockdown.

Can you send me the details re this. Thanks.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
How you can be stuck in the middle of the sea with the same boring folks everyday who you can't get away from and call it a holiday ,beats me :(
Been on loads of cruises, spoken to some people on the first day and did not see them again until we left on the last day.
Surprising how lost you can get on a big boat.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I think Iā€™d prefer a kayakšŸ‘

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Been on loads of cruises, spoken to some people on the first day and did not see them again until we left on the last day.
Surprising how lost you can get on a big boat.
AbsolutleyšŸ‘ We sailed on the Oasis of the seas. 225,000 tonnes. It has a central park on board. It is massive. If you dont want to see anyone you wont.
It is outstanding. Lots of Americans though!šŸ˜€
1644792989262.jpeg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
AbsolutleyšŸ‘ We sailed on the Oasis of the seas. 225,000 tonnes. It has a central park on board. It is massive. If you dont want to see anyone you wont.
It is outstanding. Lots of Americans though!šŸ˜€
View attachment 585531
Snap we did the sister ship around the Caribbean šŸ˜šŸ˜
Funny how people can slag off cruising but have never been on oneā˜¹ļøā˜¹ļø

E4178B6C-E125-4141-BE12-3DC071E53C7A.jpeg
643C292B-2F2B-40E7-A3F0-0ACA55362BFC.jpeg
6554F6D4-C8C4-4614-AF76-9461CADC2283.jpeg

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
If you want a bit of class there's always Cunard. Definitely not Butlins at sea. You do need a jacket and tie though. Getting withdrawal symptoms now. Haven't done one since NY & Canada for our Silver Wedding.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
If you want a bit of class there's always Cunard. Definitely not Butlins at sea. You do need a jacket and tie though. Getting withdrawal symptoms now. Haven't done one since NY & Canada for our Silver Wedding.
Was not impressed with Cunard, Like Princess better but having been on a few Princess boats it all depends on how they are run as they are all different.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Plan is to ship the van out in about 3-4 years and start in Halifax and come down that way before doing the 66 route down to LAšŸ˜

6 months round trip.
Sounds great take a spare set of tyres!
Daughter has been over there 20+years commutes NY. S Francisco. Florida.
Looking fwd to going again do lots of boating when there.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Re the OP. Good luck for the future. Whilst mh ing seems to have taken off due to Covid restrictions, there are now many I know thinking of leaving due to excessive repair and campsite costs.

Hope life treats you well.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Done lot's of cruises on the big ones including all the Queens. Never do another Cunard.
Navigator of the Seas was a good un
And 6 weeks on Diamond Princess............and others.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Done lot's of cruises on the big ones including all the Queens. Never do another Cunard.
Navigator of the Seas was a good un
And 6 weeks on Diamond Princess............and others.
Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Voyager of the Seas November 2004. We dressed for dinner every night. Standards have slipped since then: on our cruise to Norway with Celebrity the chap next to me on our table wore a tee shirt and jeans every evening...

cruise bar pic.jpg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Voyager of the Seas November 2004. We dressed for dinner every night. Standards have slipped since then: on our cruise to Norway with Celebrity the chap next to me on our table wore a tee shirt and jeans every evening...

View attachment 585916
We had that on a boat, dressed up and a load of yankā€™s came in wearing shell suits and flip flops!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back