Solar sizing (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
Now our van is spending most of its time in storage with no ehu we need to look at options of keeping batteries topped up. There is an alarm tracker on Fiat cab based battery and at the moment all batteries are brand new so havent seen an issue or voltage dip too much. Have spoken to an independant and vanbiz about battery to battery balancer with conflicting views. We are considering a victron balancer and also maybe a 50 watt solar panel to top batteries up.
Have seen different set ups and looks like we dont need an Mppt but was considering fitting one if we could use it as a balancer and the option to upgrade to proper fitted solar in the future.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Even if like us and you live on the south coast with the amount of dull rainy days we get these days you will need at least a 100 watts to keep your batteries topped up and the further north you go the more solar you will need.

Just looked at the balance doesn't look like the right thing for the job it's really for larger battery banks used in boats.
To keep the starter battery topped up you could fit a dual output solar regulator or fit either a Batterymaster, CBE CSB2 relay or Ablemail Battery Maintainer.

OP
OP
3crispies
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
Even if like us and you live on the south coast with the amount of dull rainy days we get these days you will need at least a 100 watts to keep your batteries topped up and the further north you go the more solar you will need.

Just looked at the balance doesn't look like the right thing for the job it's really for larger battery banks used in boats.
To keep the starter battery topped up you could fit a dual output solar regulator or fit either a Batterymaster, CBE CSB2 relay or Ablemail Battery Maintainer.
Thanks don't want to go full solar set up as wanted to go a few seasons first to decide our options. Just need an option to keep batteries charged on non ehu.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm not one to advocate huge amounts of solar if not needed but can't see why youd put a panel on that small the difference in cost must be minimal.

OP
OP
3crispies
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
I'm not one to advocate huge amounts of solar if not needed but can't see why youd put a panel on that small the difference in cost must be minimal.
Agreed but was going to fit inside against a skylight which will obviously loose even more output. As said don't want to drill van until we are sure and next winter may be at a storage with ehu. Just don't want to kill new batteries by always being flat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Agreed but was going to fit inside against a skylight which will obviously loose even more output. As said don't want to drill van until we are sure and next winter may be at a storage with ehu. Just don't want to kill new batteries by always being flat.
It did take me 5 or 6 years to summon up the courage to drill the roof but it's fine you just need to plot a while.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
3crispies
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
Wish we had time, just one thing off the list so when we decide to get away we can, need this finished too

Attachments

• IMG-20221128-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20221128-WA0012.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20221130-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221130-WA0000.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 23
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I spend more hours on sleepless nights planning the mods than the time I spend doing the mods.
It's the same with most DIY were coming to the end of a pretty big project things like fitting a kitchen or shower room involve a lot of plotting and less doing!

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I spend more hours on sleepless nights planning the mods than the time I spend doing the mods.
yup ....
Spend 10 evenings planning, 3 hours of pondering before making any holes, measure not once, not twice and not even thrice, but 5 times. And then find the hole you made is still in the wrong place! Opps!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back