Solar Shopping List (3 Viewers)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi All,
Over the next few weeks I'm going to fit solar panels to my Elegance i890, firstly to keep my batteries charged over winter, and to help go off grid on our three weeks touring Europe this year, anyway this is my shopping list, is there anything I'm missing?

2 X 100w solar panels
LRM 1218 MPP charge regulator
Solar panel mounting brackets
1 X multiple gland kit
5 mtr cable and MC4 connectors
MC 4 Y Type parallel connectors
Silkaflex activator and sika flex 512

This will be connected to the EBL 220 Elektroblok and the main control panel is a LT510.
where is the best place on this model to drop the cables down to the charge regulator and EBL through the roof?

Any tips to make it go as smoothly as possible, or anything glaringly obvious I've missed from my list?

Intending to order the majority of the equipment from Photonic universe, are people generally happy with their level of service?

Regards
Mark

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Depending how your regulator works, a battery master is a good addition to keep your vehicle battery charged as well.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi All,
Over the next few weeks I'm going to fit solar panels to my Elegance i890, firstly to keep my batteries charged over winter, and to help go off grid on our three weeks touring Europe this year, anyway this is my shopping list, is there anything I'm missing?

2 X 100w solar panels
1 X multiple gland kit

This will be connected to the EBL 220 Elektroblok and the main control panel is a LT510.
where is the best place on this model to drop the cables down to the charge regulator and EBL through the roof?

Any tips to make it go as smoothly as possible, or anything glaringly obvious I've missed from my list?

Intending to order the majority of the equipment from Photonic universe, are people generally happy with their level of service?

Regards
Mark
Read all the article and question interesting and useful
https://sikaflexit.wordpress.com/20...ll-a-solar-panel-to-the-roof-of-your-caravan/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Neckender, Interesting Idea, not sure how easy it would be to run the cables to the bottom locker from there, just wondering if any one had any pictures or ideas how best to keep the cables concealed.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Neckender, Interesting Idea, not sure how easy it would be to run the cables to the bottom locker from there, just wondering if any one had any pictures or ideas how best to keep the cables concealed.
to be honest two 6mm cables clipped at the back of a locker or wardrobe isnt going to be an eyesore anything exposed i would use d shape conduit which you can get in wood colours

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Hi All,

2 X 100w solar panels
1 X multiple gland kit

Regards
Mark[/QUOTE

Have a look at these solar panels:

https://mipvsolarpanels.co.uk/

Latest fully flexible, higher energy yield, only 3mm thick with Sika flex already applied - just peel off backing and stick directly to your roof - no wind resistance or noise generated on the move from what in my opinion is the very unsightly solid mono or polycrystalline type it looks like you have on your shopping list.

They are not cheap but again in my opinion the best - I did have a discount code (not sure if it is still available) you could try, if you p.m. me I will send it.:)

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi All,

2 X 100w solar panels
1 X multiple gland kit

Regards
Mark

The latest fully flexible cigs technology higher energy yield, only 3mm thick with Sika flex already applied - just peel off backing and stick directly to your roof - no wind resistance or noise generated on the move from what in my opinion is the very unsightly mono or polycrystalline type it looks like you have on your shopping list.

They are not cheap but again in my opinion the best! - I did have a discount code ( not sure if it is still valid) you could try - if you p.m. me I will send it :)

Last edited:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
LesW: I'm sure the elektroblok controls that side of things, I might stand corrected though.

Thanks for that 252 it is with some excellent advice.:smiley:
I used the 252 to stick the Satalite on the roof, still there.
Love the avatar, is that one of the Munro’s

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You can also use a Votronic Duo MPPT regulator as it is compatible with the EBL and can all types of battery.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You do not need to use the expensive plastic panel mounting brackets, which can take up a lot of room if space is tight. Just use 200mm long pieces of 50 x 50 aluminium angle. Pop rivet to the panel frame (you could use self tappers instead) and stick down with sikaflex. If space is short turn the "base" of the angle inwards so it sits under the panel; this also gives a neater finish IMHO. I used 3 pieces of angle on each long side of the panel. I bought the angle ready cut into 200mm lengths on eBay.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

The latest fully flexible cigs technology higher energy yield, only 3mm thick with Sika flex already applied - just peel off backing and stick directly to your roof - no wind resistance or noise generated on the move from what in my opinion is the very unsightly mono or polycrystalline type it looks like you have on your shopping list.

They are not cheap but again in my opinion the best! - I did have a discount code ( not sure if it is still valid) you could try - if you p.m. me I will send it :)

Flexible panels tend to have a short lifespan because the clear plastic they're encased in degrades, also you can't tilt them towards the sun (if you happen to want to) and imagine the mess left on the roof when you have to replace them every 5 years.

I notice they say "highly efficient" but I couldn't find out the numbers.

Googled the CIGS solar technology they are using and the latest ones claim to be 18% efficient. Monocrystalline are 15 to 20% efficient so about the same.

Good for boats and vans with zero payload but IMO the rigid monocrystalline are best.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Flexible panels tend to have a short lifespan because the clear plastic they're encased in degrades, also you can't tilt them towards the sun (if you happen to want to) and imagine the mess left on the roof when you have to replace them every 5 years.

I notice they say "highly efficient" but I couldn't find out the numbers.

Googled the CIGS solar technology they are using and the latest ones claim to be 18% efficient. Monocrystalline are 15 to 20% efficient so about the same.

Good for boats and vans with zero payload but IMO the rigid monocrystalline are best.

We have had this discussion before and that can be found in other posts on solar - however I think it is quite wrong for you to say and deter others maybe from looking at this particular panel by saying the clear plastic they are encased in degrades - 3M the plastic manufactures might have something to say about that! They should last about 25yrs and are guarantee 80% output for up to 10yrs!

Highly unlikely to need removing - however why remove it?? Their 3mm thick!! You simply stick a new one on top of the old one and your still only about 7mm thick in total! If you insist on tilting solar panels just stick these on a 6mm board and tilt it if you have the mechanism to do it however these panels have their cells so close to the surface and the structure of the surface is such that you are going to extremes - yes rigid ones might need tilting?

Now if you insist on removing it you can obtain a remover from Sika flex specifically for the adhesive used on these particular panels.

As for efficiency - the cigs are rated as less efficient but actually tested to give something like 25% more energy yield in a day which is far more important. Cardiff University who developed these panels in conjunction with Tata Steel are apparently going to produce their test results - if they haven’t already done so.

By the way - their only a third the weight of your polycrystalline solid type and you can drop a hammer on them - walk all over them - try that with yours? :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We have had this discussion before and that can be found in other posts on solar - however I think it is quite wrong for you to say and deter others maybe from looking at this particular panel by saying the clear plastic they are encased in degrades - 3M the plastic manufactures might have something to say about that! They should last about 25yrs and are guarantee 80% output for up to 10yrs!

Highly unlikely to need removing - however why remove it?? Their 3mm thick!! You simply stick a new one on top of the old one and your still only about 7mm thick in total! If you insist on tilting solar panels just stick these on a 6mm board and tilt it if you have the mechanism to do it however these panels have their cells so close to the surface and the structure of the surface is such that you are going to extremes - yes rigid ones might need tilting?

Now if you insist on removing it you can obtain a remover from Sika flex specifically for the adhesive used on these particular panels.

As for efficiency - the cigs are rated as less efficient but actually tested to give something like 25% more energy yield in a day which is far more important. Cardiff University who developed these panels in conjunction with Tata Steel are apparently going to produce their test results - if they haven’t already done so.

By the way - their only a third the weight of your polycrystalline solid type and you can drop a hammer on them - walk all over them - try that with yours? :)
I made sure I put IMO (in my opinion) on the end (y) everybody please feel free to read up on the subject and buy whatever you feel is best :)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
@Rudski01 I think @Popeye has a similar van perhaps he can help you.

John.

So sorry I cannot be of any help, mine came with 4x Solar panels from Frankia as standard on the Platin Plus and the Electronics Cabinet is right next to the garage and I still can't see where the cables run.

This is a shot from the brochure and as you can see all the cables are hidden on the roof as well as in the Goodie's cupboard!

Frankia Roof.jpg

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I used the 252 to stick the Satalite on the roof, still there.
Love the avatar, is that one of the Munro’s
No, that’s looking over to Great Gable from Scafell Pike after a days winter training, the colours were out of this world, wish I’d had my proper camera
Cheers
Mark

Thanks for that, mmm jury’s out on that one, do like the idea, but would concern me at replacement time, although I will do more research,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
So sorry I cannot be of any help, mine came with 4x Solar panels from Frankia as standard on the Platin Plus and the Electronics Cabinet is right next to the garage and I still can't see where the cables run.

This is a shot from the brochure and as you can see all the cables are hidden on the roof as well as in the Goodie's cupboard!

View attachment 212710
Wow that’s a tidy job, definitely easier when done at factory

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
You do not need to use the expensive plastic panel mounting brackets, which can take up a lot of room if space is tight. Just use 200mm long pieces of 50 x 50 aluminium angle. Pop rivet to the panel frame (you could use self tappers instead) and stick down with sikaflex. If space is short turn the "base" of the angle inwards so it sits under the panel; this also gives a neater finish IMHO. I used 3 pieces of angle on each long side of the panel. I bought the angle ready cut into 200mm lengths on eBay.

Get where your coming from, I think the plastic looks tidier, space shouldn’t be an issue

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
You can also use a Votronic Duo MPPT regulator as it is compatible with the EBL and can all types of battery.
Does that come with the plug and play cables, or are they ordered separately? I read somewhere that there was still possible compatability issues can’t think where now I’ve read that much

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I went through the roof here because the hab batteries are directly behind the driver seat. There is a void between the wood paneling and the Fiat cab here. I dropped a box spanner down the viod and threaded the solar cable down it. I also used it to return with the cat 5 cable to the amp meter and hide the cables.
I fitted a completely separate solar system with its own dual battery solar controller and took new cable to both the hab batteries and the start battery to avoid complications with the existing Electroblock.
I also fitted a 20A circuit breaker to the solar cables as they entered the MoHo, for safety and to isolate them.
There are 125W panels bought S/H and had to fixed on homemade brackets where they would fit!

DSC02169.JPG

DSC01351.JPG

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Get where your coming from, I think the plastic looks tidier, space shouldn’t be an issue
Do you reckon ....... I am not so sure

P1010752.JPG

These were the ones I fitted on my previous motorhome and I reckon they look much better than using the plastic fittings. And much more secure.

The ones I have on my present motorhome were fitted by the dealer and IMHO they do not look as good as the ones I fitted.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Do you reckon ....... I am not so sure

View attachment 212732

These were the ones I fitted on my previous motorhome and I reckon they look much better than using the plastic fittings. And much more secure.

The ones I have on my present motorhome were fitted by the dealer and IMHO they do not look as good as the ones I fitted.

Ok fair point they do look pretty good with nice clean lines

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
to be honest two 6mm cables clipped at the back of a locker or wardrobe isnt going to be an eyesore anything exposed i would use d shape conduit which you can get in wood colours

I do need to look out for a decent discrete conduit, in the eventuality I may need to run them somewhere visible

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
No, that’s looking over to Great Gable from Scafell Pike after a days winter training, the colours were out of this world, wish I’d had my proper camera
Cheers
Mark

Thanks for that, mmm jury’s out on that one, do like the idea, but would concern me at replacement time, although I will do more research,
Should have known that done it many times winter and summer, done the horseshoe from wasdale yarrowbarrow etc.
In training for anything special?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Does that come with the plug and play cables, or are they ordered separately? I read somewhere that there was still possible compatability issues can’t think where now I’ve read that much
I believe the cable is seperate, as it is not needed for simpler EBLs but im not 100% sure.

When I spoke to Udo Lang at Schaudt he advised me to use the Votronic as their MPPT regulator was not in stock as they were waiting for a new version with updated software.

If fitted and set up correctly there is no compatibility issues.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Should have known that done it many times winter and summer, done the horseshoe from wasdale yarrowbarrow etc.
In training for anything special?

I'm part of the Wasdale mountain rescue team, busiest year for the team, got to the point of complete burnout hitting 4 callouts a day sometimes, some genuine accidents but got to be a record for numpty's getting lost:banghead::swear:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back