Solar from motorhome to house (1 Viewer)

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
We have been lucky enough to be in the process of getting near the end of building a new bungalow in our garden while we have lived in a static caravan and recently our camper which is a homebuild

We have not yet been connected to mains electric although the underground cable has been laid up to the road.

We have enjoyed the idea of little bills and this morning wondered and hope to put solar to the house even if it was a compromise and sailed close to the wind as far as planning.

So in our camper we have 4 trojan batteries 12v x110ah i think but will check. we have a 3.5kw pure sinewave charger inverter and one solar panel on motorhome and one spare in the shed.

If its not practicle to use these parts what would one need and where would you start to get an affordable system

Cheers in advice for good advice

Attachments

• DSC_0862.JPG
    DSC_0862.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 26

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
You could quite easily run a lead from your inverter into an area you want to draw the power for.
In reality though the 1 solar panel wont keep up too well and once your 4 batteries are depleted would take an age to bring them back.

BUT every little helps as they say so doable YES, in great capacity, no.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
I did this using a sterling inverter, no auto reset on the old 2.5 k sterling so when battery voltage drops too low and stops the inverter it stayed stopped, I had to manually reset it but lost a freezer full off food while away. No bills is good but take care.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Don't forget about volt drop, you will loose power from the van to the house, you will be able to run a slow cooker or an electric toothbrush.
3500w will run your batteries down quite quickly even in full sun

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would use the spare panel and connect to your batteries via the controller ,assuming it's man enough,just prop the panel up in the sunshine.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have built my house on 6 solar panels 1500w, a 1200va inverter and 200ah @48v battery bank. The same set up we used for the next 2 years until we upgraded to a much bigger system.
You need solar enough to cover the energy consumption for the day. If you take out of the batteries 2kwh, then the panels needs to harvest at least that plus inefficiencies. Two panels is not much at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back