Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
In a nutshell, has anyone (like us) got fed up of the cost of a Sky subscription and tried FreeSat instead?
Were you satisfied?
Was it a good move or are you sorry and missing Sky?

We first started with a basic Sky package years ago @ approx £19/month. It's now chuffin' £44/month!
We don't have sports or movies, just a basic package.
I like Discovery programmes (factual- "how its made"/ engineering type stuff ) and ffi' likes cooking progs........tho' most of those seem to have gone American how much can you stuff in your gob at once!

Ta

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Tried Sky once about 10 years ago - what a waste of money. Used to watch the sports and entertainment stuff online for free if I felt the need. Been on Freesat since and it still has way more channels than I need.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I only pay £27 a month for the basic package so don’t know how your paying £44

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Tell Sky you want to leave and you will be put through to their retention team
Be polite and you will get a better price
If you're still not happy with the offer cancel and try freesat for a bit
Sky will contact you after two or three months to try to entice you back
You can choose them if you are happy with fresat or want to go back to Sky

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Are you using at home or in the van?

If at home do you have an aerial? If so can you not use freeview? Would have most of what you need.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
We had sky for years and released that we could get most of the programs we wanted on web sites or that they were repeated via freesat after about six months. Cancelled the Sky package and within a week had the customer retention team make contact. We got the full Sky/internet free for six months and cancelled again, within a week were contacted again and same deal, this went on for nearly three years trying to get our custom. Now only have freesat at home and in the van but he decoder in the van picks up very channel going so we can get local news wherever we are but its a pain as it picks up over 3500 channels! Freesat every time for us .

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Skys basic package is approx 25 GBP per month.
More if you want HD.
More if you want kids
More if you want Sports
More if you want Movies
More if you want box sets
More if you want BT Sports

So call them, as you may be on a legacy pack, (ie an old pack and not their new packs), get rid of the kids channels (save 5 GBP per month), and ask them for a discount. IF you dont ask you dont get. YOu get better deals with bigger packs, but you can get up to 50% off for 18 months if you ask.

Cancelling your SKy sub, your Sky box will still receive all the free to air channels. It will receive more free to air channels than are on Freesat (C4 HD for example is NOT on Freesat). But you will get Quest and Dmax, the Discovery channel free channels, so you will still get a fix of "how its made", but with a delay of a few years on new programmeing...

But if you have a Sky+HD box, then recording ability will also stop when you cancel. If you want the Freesat , and recording, then you need to hunt down a Freesat recording box. The HUmax boxes have not been made since middle last year, so no new stocks, and why prices are high on Ebay and Amazon. The new boxes made by Arris are only , at the moment, available via Currys, stocks are low, (was meant to be out "late 2019", but only made available around easter, then taken off sale, and now slowly being put back on) and very buggy.

ALso, dont forget you have Freeview, via a TV aerial. Offers similar channels to Freesat, and others that are not on satellite at all. If you are in / goe to areas with good Freeview reception.

Rapidoman 2011

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 21, 2013
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9009 DFH
Exp
20 Years Plus
Ring up sky as we did and got a 12 month deal at 15.00, it was that or we were off. The other good thing is a Firestick, put downloader on, then download cinema HD, all the latest movies FOC

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Skys basic package is approx 25 GBP per month.
More if you want HD.
More if you want kids
More if you want Sports
More if you want Movies
More if you want box sets
More if you want BT Sports

So call them, as you may be on a legacy pack, (ie an old pack and not their new packs), get rid of the kids channels (save 5 GBP per month), and ask them for a discount. IF you dont ask you dont get. YOu get better deals with bigger packs, but you can get up to 50% off for 18 months if you ask.

Cancelling your SKy sub, your Sky box will still receive all the free to air channels. It will receive more free to air channels than are on Freesat (C4 HD for example is NOT on Freesat). But you will get Quest and Dmax, the Discovery channel free channels, so you will still get a fix of "how its made", but with a delay of a few years on new programmeing...

But if you have a Sky+HD box, then recording ability will also stop when you cancel. If you want the Freesat , and recording, then you need to hunt down a Freesat recording box. The HUmax boxes have not been made since middle last year, so no new stocks, and why prices are high on Ebay and Amazon. The new boxes made by Arris are only , at the moment, available via Currys, stocks are low, (was meant to be out "late 2019", but only made available around easter, then taken off sale, and now slowly being put back on) and very buggy.

ALso, dont forget you have Freeview, via a TV aerial. Offers similar channels to Freesat, and others that are not on satellite at all. If you are in / goe to areas with good Freeview reception.
Also, if you have Sky Q, you’ll have to return that HW when you cancel.
We never own that Q stuff, just lease it (or similar ?).

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I would cancel SKY but you cannot get Eurosport on Freesat which we watch for the cycling and another plus point is that many Sky subscription channels can be watched all over Spain as there transmitted on the Pan European beam which is easily received via an 85cm dish

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Freesat every time. Gave up Sky 15 years ago.
Freesat in the house and motorhome. Never had a problem with it. Watch one channel, record one or two, more channels than you can ever watch and plenty of HD.....and it is all FREE.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
You don't have to point your dish at Astra 28 satellites, sports are available from other broadcasters, have a look at lyngsat.

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Personally, we got rid of our TV a few years ago as we never watched it and it was taking up space in the wardrobe. It's easy to do. We do not miss TV either in the MH or at home.

wybmadwity

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Funster No
I used to work on Sky products, starting on Set Top Box software and ending with work on Q components, and got a free box and subscription with the full package. Sky have a world leading, high quality robust product, but since retiring I have Freesat, as I couldn't the cost of Sky.
The Humax box we have is OK, but a league below the Sky quality and usability, and the remote is poor.
I miss Eurosport and Channel 4 HD.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Wow! thanks for all the info guys, VERY interesting.
think we'll give Sky a ring and politely give the "what's going on?" and see what happens.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Freesat every time. Gave up Sky 15 years ago.
Freesat in the house and motorhome. Never had a problem with it. Watch one channel, record one or two, more channels than you can ever watch and plenty of HD.....and it is all FREE.

Hi JaG, I have the Snipe 3 sat receiver mounted on the roof of the moho, with a

Vmade X1 HD Combo DVB-S/S2 DVB-T/T2 Digital Receiver Satellite & Terrestrial, Set Top Digital Box Tuner, Multi TV Program Recoder, Free to Air Analog to Digital Converter

this setup gives me Freesat, but I cant see how I can watch one channel and record others, am I doing something wrong ??

Reactions: JaG
Oct 17, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010
In a nutshell, has anyone (like us) got fed up of the cost of a Sky subscription and tried FreeSat instead?
Were you satisfied?
Was it a good move or are you sorry and missing Sky?

We first started with a basic Sky package years ago @ approx £19/month. It's now chuffin' £44/month!
We don't have sports or movies, just a basic package.
I like Discovery programmes (factual- "how its made"/ engineering type stuff ) and ffi' likes cooking progs........tho' most of those seem to have gone American how much can you stuff in your gob at once!

Ta
I haggled with sky and now pay £32 PM

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I am paying £18pm including Eurosport 1& 2 (not HD). Don’t keep excepting their prices , tell them you are going to leave them. Or another idea is to open in your wife’s or husbands name and you will classed as a new account and get a much better deal for twelve months ,

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Personally, we got rid of our TV a few years ago as we never watched it and it was taking up space in the wardrobe. It's easy to do. We do not miss TV either in the MH or at home.
You are very lucky to be able to do that. We never had a TV either in the van, until Jean had a car accident many years ago, suffers a lot of back and leg pains and became unable to get about unless on a mobility scooter, which is weather dependant. At times it becomes a lifeline for her.
We would love nothing more than to go trekking over hills and dales. Unfortunately it will never be again.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977

The Humax box we have is OK, but a league below the Sky quality and usability, and the remote is poor.
I miss Eurosport and Channel 4 HD.

We're in the same position, gave up Sky basic package twelve months ago and bought a Humax Box, agree with the quality but it does what we want. No interest in Eurosport or HD.
Also have Freesat at home if we need it and the option of anything off the internet either via the Humax box or a PC (HDMI to a TV).

Sky tried desperately to get us back, I think the last offer was below £12 / month but we're still not interested.

With the exception of the current situation we spent at least ten weeks away from home in the camper each year and deliberately do our best not to bother with TV when away although we can use some phone data or a PCTV nanoStick if we're desperate.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Hi JaG, I have the Snipe 3 sat receiver mounted on the roof of the moho, with a

Vmade X1 HD Combo DVB-S/S2 DVB-T/T2 Digital Receiver Satellite & Terrestrial, Set Top Digital Box Tuner, Multi TV Program Recoder, Free to Air Analog to Digital Converter

this setup gives me Freesat, but I cant see how I can watch one channel and record others, am I doing something wrong ??
The box needs two tuners in it, some have not, especially the mobile type. The one in the MH is a single channel so it is only at home where we can watch one and record another, or record two.

Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
Pardon my ignorance but we have a Humax HDR-200T HD Digital Recorder would we benefit but attaching it to our Motor home tv ?
thanks in advance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back