Smarty Unlimited Sim - Is It Really Unlimited? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It won't make any difference - they know which mast you're connecting to so the IP address doesn't matter
I beg to differ we are in Portugal and using Nord vpn and able to use ITV player and BBC iPlayer without any problem😊

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Mmm sounds good . I guess there is nothing wrong with getting 2 Smart Sim cards for £16 per month for 24Gb Europe wide use ….
Just make sure you activate them in the UK before you go as you cannot activate them for the first time abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I beg to differ we are in Portugal and using Nord vpn and able to use ITV player and BBC iPlayer without any problem😊
Two different things you can use a vpn as you say to watch uk tv overseas but the mobile phone company will still know you are overseas and apply International roaming rules and put a data cap in it.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
But I think the OPs query related to data usage rather than access to services. Most UK activted SIMs will be able to stream IPlayer Netflix etc whilst roaming in Europe without the requirement for a VPN but the 12-25GB monthly cap can be used up in a couple of days at those allowances.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
But I think the OPs query related to data usage rather than access to services. Most UK activted SIMs will be able to stream IPlayer Netflix etc whilst roaming in Europe without the requirement for a VPN but the 12-25GB monthly cap can be used up in a couple of days at those allowances.
As I posted earlier they need a Tiekom data sim works really well😊

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Two different things you can use a vpn as you say to watch uk tv overseas but the mobile phone company will still know you are overseas and apply International roaming rules and put a data cap in it.
Yes I agree if using your phone but if you purchase a data sim and use in a router problem solved using Spanish Tiekom sim which can be used in UK and EU😊
For those interested read Carpmart thread.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
What if you install and connect via a VPN. They wouldn’t know you outside the UK, or would they.

VPN is for masking your location via wifi. However your wifi is delivered through the mobile network via the nearest cell tower. Therefore the telephone company certainly know your location. The VPN just decieves websites you visit.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
VPN is for masking your location via wifi. However your wifi is delivered through the mobile network via the nearest cell tower. Therefore the telephone company certainly know your location. The VPN just decieves websites you visit.

Can I Use a VPN While Connected to a Mobile Data Network?​

Absolutely! It doesn’t matter if you’re connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data. Your VPN works on both.

As soon as you activate your mobile data, your phone automatically connects to the Internet using its own IP address. This IP address is unique and is considered personal data because it contains information that identifies you as the user.

So if you want to use a VPN on your phone to browse the Internet anonymously, you will need to install a VPN mobile application.

You Can Access Data Not Available in Your Country​

Back to Netflix and other platforms like BBC and iPlayer. Internet content providers use your IP address to find out where you are transferring data from.

When they find out where you live, they can control the content you consume based on the distribution agreements they have in your region.

But a VPN can help you unblock web content that is not available in your country so you can watch whatever you want.

Some platforms are fighting against this by developing advanced VPN software that can detect and block those trying to access it from other countries. But still, some VPN apps can help you bypass these apps, too.

If the VPN hides you IP address then would that mean you provider does not know where you are?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Tiekomm 300Gb package is a great solution for many but I understood it still needed a VPN which increases the cost.
When I took it up I already had a VPN but it’s not a requirement of the purchase but you are correct you do need VPN if you are out of UK, there are some good deals for VPNs if you search and got to be good if you travel a lot in EU😊

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Is there any UK provider that allows + 20 gb data per month abroad without the additional £ .
How easy is it to get a PAYG data sim in France I wonder that would they be valid all over Europe ?
Very easy. Any Leclerc supermarket.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have heard that some so called 'unlimited' data sim cards actually have a limit. I have just used a Smarty unlimited sim and have consumed 201gb in the monthly period. Absolutely no problems. Cost £20 for the month. (Sometimes can be had for less.) Excellent value! Has anyone consumed more data with Smarty?
Is that in uk or Europe? BUSBY.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Is that in uk or Europe? BUSBY.

It won't be Europe. Max. of 12 in Europe. I found this out annoyingly. Paid £20 for unlimited to find out that only gave me 12GB. I could have bought 12G for £8. Wasted 12quid :(

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
It won't be Europe. Max. of 12 in Europe. I found this out annoyingly. Paid £20 for unlimited to find out that only gave me 12GB. I could have bought 12G for £8. Wasted 12quid :(
But the £8 one wouldn’t give you unlimited in the UK 😉

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
In France there's the Free sim 210gb for €20 on a monthly contract. Its a bit of a pain to cancel it as it requires sending a registered letter with the retraction form in this PDF (view these sites with Chrome to have them in translated).

Sep 29, 2017
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
About to buy again!
Exp
Several years
I have heard that some so called 'unlimited' data sim cards actually have a limit. I have just used a Smarty unlimited sim and have consumed 201gb in the monthly period. Absolutely no problems. Cost £20 for the month. (Sometimes can be had for less.) Excellent value! Has anyone consumed more data with Smarty?
Till you go abroad then it’s it’s restricted to 12gb

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
What if you install and connect via a VPN. They wouldn’t know you outside the UK, or would they.
Oh yes they do, you still have to use a mast and get billed back home.
Been there tried that.
We do use a VPN though to watch Australian TV on catch up.
You do need an Ossie post code when you create your account for catch up, just use google maps to zoom into an address and use that zip/code.

Attachments

• Aus VPN.jpg
    Aus VPN.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 5

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back