Smarty Unlimited Sim - Is It Really Unlimited? (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Since 2018
I have heard that some so called 'unlimited' data sim cards actually have a limit. I have just used a Smarty unlimited sim and have consumed 201gb in the monthly period. Absolutely no problems. Cost £20 for the month. (Sometimes can be had for less.) Excellent value! Has anyone consumed more data with Smarty?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Wow! That’s some use.

We are with Lebara on Vodafone as we wanted to be away from Three for a second chance (our phones are with Three). It costs £25 a month and we haven’t been capped or slowed down.

Even with our kids watching YouTube and TikTok we only use about 150GB and that’s on an extended holiday in the Summer.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
All well and good for the UK !
Did anyone expect any different? Annoying though, especially as they all said they wouldn’t initially.

The Government could easily pass legislation to sort it, bit like the farce that when abroad you get amazing coverage as you are using every networks masts.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Did anyone expect any different? Annoying though, especially as they all said they wouldn’t initially.

The Government could easily pass legislation to sort it, bit like the farce that when abroad you get amazing coverage as you are using every networks masts.
Yup! A real bummer !

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Is smarty 3

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
In answer to the original question, I have discovered (to my pain) that is is not unlimited in the EU but limited to a 'fair usage' of 12GB per month! 😞

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
three network.
Unlimited UK @ £20
12Gb cap abroad then £1 a Gb in 3Gb increments
Usually very good internet all over europe

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We pay £10 per month for our Smarty 3 sim on the motorhome
It is limited, we we have never even got close to the limit

Having said which we don't watch TV using it's bandwidth (we have a DVD player and an big satellite dish for freeview
We do haver have at least 5 devices using web access

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
three network.
Unlimited UK @ £20
12Gb cap abroad then £1 a Gb in 3Gb increments
Usually very good internet all over europe
That's exactly the same as Smarty - not surprising as Smarty runs on the 3 network.

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
That's exactly the same as Smarty - not surprising as Smarty runs on the 3 network.

sorry - meant to say this is for Smarty.

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Just to update this thread .
Today VOXI have alerted me to the fact that they intend to apply a minimum of £1 per day for use abroad up to a max of 20 GB date …. Obviously we will now look elsewhere for the best EU roaming data sim…. any thoughts on the best deals out there at the mo … TIA

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We use Smarty unlimited when back in the UK. Its a rolling monthly £20 contract. So at the end of the month when we are setting off to France and further afield I drop the contract to 12 gig a month(the limit for EU) and the price drops to £8. Will go back to unlimited when we get back. We use the unlimited for all our streaming. We do not have wi fi indoors we just link the TV and stream all our programs through the phone. Never had any issue with buffering

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
We use Smarty unlimited when back in the UK. Its a rolling monthly £20 contract. So at the end of the month when we are setting off to France and further afield I drop the contract to 12 gig a month(the limit for EU) and the price drops to £8. Will go back to unlimited when we get back. We use the unlimited for all our streaming. We do not have wi fi indoors we just link the TV and stream all our programs through the phone. Never had any issue with buffering
Is there any UK provider that allows + 20 gb data per month abroad without the additional £ .
How easy is it to get a PAYG data sim in France I wonder that would they be valid all over Europe ?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Is there any UK provider that allows + 20 gb data per month abroad without the additional £ .
How easy is it to get a PAYG data sim in France I wonder that would they be valid all over Europe ?
Read my post #16😊

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Mmm sounds good . I guess there is nothing wrong with getting 2 Smart Sim cards for £16 per month for 24Gb Europe wide use ….

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Tesco Mobile allow unlimited roaming for 2 months in any 4 months £17.50/month for 24 month contract - UK Unlimited on O2 network

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I use ID Mobile (3 network) at home and use an awful lot of date to stream our TVs rarely use terrestrial their fair usage policy at this moment is.

Fair usage policy​

Our fair usage policy has been designed to prevent misuse of our inclusive EU roaming feature, such as someone permanently roaming and not living in the UK.

We understand that sometimes you'll want to roam for a few weeks at a time. That's absolutely fine. But if you roam more than you use your phone at home (we mean in the UK) over a 4-month period, we might think you’re permanently roaming. If so, we'll take the following action:

First of all, we'll send you a text reminding you of the fair usage policy. If you don't change your usage behaviour to comply with it, we'll also ask you to provide some sort of proof that you have strong ties to the UK, like a UK bill or bank statement.

If you don’t provide any proof of having strong ties to the UK, and you continue to roam in the EU more than you use your plan in the UK, we'll apply a surcharge to your EU roaming usage. When we do this we'll send you another text message - to make you're aware of the situation, and give you a second chance to stop roaming and avoid charges.

The surcharges that will be applied to your account if you exceed our fair usage limits are:

• 3.2p per minute
  • 1p per text
  • 0.25p per MB
So the theory is if I ever manage to get abroad I will pop the sim into the M/Home router.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Mmm sounds good . I guess there is nothing wrong with getting 2 Smart Sim cards for £16 per month for 24Gb Europe wide use ….
If you decide too get a Smarty SIM, drop me a PM. I will give you a code. This will give both of us a free month when you set it up

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I use ID Mobile (3 network) at home and use an awful lot of date to stream our TVs rarely use terrestrial their fair usage policy at this moment is.

Fair usage policy​

Our fair usage policy has been designed to prevent misuse of our inclusive EU roaming feature, such as someone permanently roaming and not living in the UK.

We understand that sometimes you'll want to roam for a few weeks at a time. That's absolutely fine. But if you roam more than you use your phone at home (we mean in the UK) over a 4-month period, we might think you’re permanently roaming. If so, we'll take the following action:

First of all, we'll send you a text reminding you of the fair usage policy. If you don't change your usage behaviour to comply with it, we'll also ask you to provide some sort of proof that you have strong ties to the UK, like a UK bill or bank statement.

If you don’t provide any proof of having strong ties to the UK, and you continue to roam in the EU more than you use your plan in the UK, we'll apply a surcharge to your EU roaming usage. When we do this we'll send you another text message - to make you're aware of the situation, and give you a second chance to stop roaming and avoid charges.

The surcharges that will be applied to your account if you exceed our fair usage limits are:

• 3.2p per minute
  • 1p per text
  • 0.25p per MB
So the theory is if I ever manage to get abroad I will pop the sim into the M/Home router.
The Open Data Policy confused me with that one - if you put in a £16 Unlimited SIM only plan in their calculator it shows a 0.25p/Mb charge over about 4.6Gb of data when roaming. This didn't tally with the Fair Usage Policy wording so I gave up at that point..

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
The Open Data Policy confused me with that one - if you put in a £16 Unlimited SIM only plan in their calculator it shows a 0.25p/Mb charge over about 4.6Gb of data when roaming. This didn't tally with the Fair Usage Policy wording so I gave up at that point..
maybe I'm miss interpreting it but the way I read it is there is no cap for up to four months as long as you are not exceeding the amount of data you would normally use at home.
My average date usage each day is around 10 Gb:unsure:

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
maybe I'm miss interpreting it but the way I read it is there is no cap for up to four months as long as you are not exceeding the amount of data you would normally use at home.
My average date usage each day is around 10 Gb:unsure:
That was how I read it until I put the £16 Unlimited plan in their calculator (it comes up as 12Gb nowadays but still not Unlimited for 4 months) although I never queried this with ID Mobile and went for Tesco Mobile instead.

id mobile.png

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Doesn't use anything like the amount streaming TV does.
drop the contract to 12 gig a month(the limit for EU) and the price drops to £8.
Doesn't work like that. EU directive states that the minimum roaming they can supply is worked out by a formula.each Gb = 3€. you divide the amount that you pay by 3€.
So in your new case it would be £8 ,roughly 10€ ÷3=3,33Gb +1= 4,33 for roaming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back