Smart Inverter?

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Red_48, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Red_48

Red_48 Funster

Ratings:
    +5
    Just learning about inverters...

Does anybody know of an inverter that can isolate when on shore power, i.e. autosense AC power coming in from the shore (terminating on busbars) and isolates itself preventing AC power coming from both battery and shore?

Or do they all do this?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +22,874
    The ones with automatic transfer do it, ones that don’t can easily be installed that way using and external purchased device or a suitable relay in series

If you buy an inverter/charger, it will monitor the incoming shore power and auto invert and short fall I.E. shore power supply 6amp and suddenly Motorhome requires 12 amp the inverter/charger will take up the slack to avoid power disruption and blowing the shore power requiring it to be reset

Don’t forget to install a RCD in series on the inverter output to the 13 amp sockets

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. Red_48

Red_48 Funster

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you Eddie

Sadly I have already purchased a Victron Energy - Charger 30A 12V which is not an inverter, so I would need to buy a separate unit.

When shopping Invertors, I know I want a pure sinewave model. This model states it has "High voltage battery stop", is this the same as "automatic transfer"?

4. eddievanbitz

Ratings:
    +22,874
    No, that just means it turns off I assume.

5. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +28,493
    I rigged up an automatic change over relay and wrote a thread about it on here somewhere. Others have also done it and others have fitted manual changeovers.

The one circumstance when being automated isn't perfect is if you have a very low amp supply. I've come across 3A in a few places. This isn't enough to run a hairdryer or my coffee machine so I had to unplug the EHU cable and run the inverter. You could get around this by adding a switch to force the relay to change instead but the need hasn't arisen frequently enough for me to have bothered. :)

6. eddievanbitz

Ratings:
    +22,874
    Or, simply put the AC main on the Normally Closed contacts, so the relay only being energised when the inverter is ON.

Starting from scratch an Inverter/Charger is the best bet as it would enhance your 3amp up to the capacity of the inverter to avoid any issues

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +5,417
  8. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,902
    Eddie when you fit one of those does it render the existing Electrobloc charging of the hab batteries redundant? And does it deal with solar as well?

9. eddievanbitz

Ratings:
    +22,874
    The electrobloc charger is disabled. There are no issues with Solar. I have 2 Lithium batteries, 3 x 150w solar panels and the Victron Multiplus 2000/80 and it all works a treat. On my camper there are three very large domestic TV's run from a HDMI distribution unit, a Humax 1Tb Freesat Digi box all mains, so the inverter is rarely off.

Luckily my wife insists on having a hair dryer and tongs I get Wife approval for all of this, and cost, whilst a consideration is not too high on the list.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,902
    Thanks. Only you and Eurotunnel would ever call what you have got a "camper"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. eddievanbitz

Ratings:
    +22,874
    :whistle2:

12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,902
    Out of curiosity do you have a ball park figure for how much that would cost to fit in my 2015 Hymer B678?

13. VanWolf

VanWolf Funster

Ratings:
    +2
    Just joined and seen this today. FWIW I have just bought a complete Votronic system - kit comes well recommended. The Inverter will use the batteries but as soon as it senses 230V hook up it will switch to that. All the kit came from RoadPro - see RH column on this page for 5%. This is my system;

Votronic VBCS 60/40/430 Triple = Charger
    Votronic VPC Jupiter 400 = Panel
    Votronic Inverter SMI 1700 ST NVS = Inverter
    Votronic Bluetooth-Connector S-BC

I am using 2 x 200W panels and 2 x 200Ah Tube Cell batteries.