Smart Inverter? (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oh, how I wish I understood all this technical stuff!...............and how I wish I’d paid more attention in physics lessons all those years ago!! :rolleyes:
But isn’t it good that there are people on this forum who DO understand and are willing to help....good onyer.

VanWolf

Free Member
Nov 17, 2018
Alyth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8 years
Use a DP change over to the sockets themselves and feed the switch from the inverter and MHU. Meanwhile separately feed the charger from MHU.

You need a consumer unit with DP RCD and probably 6A & 10A DP MCBs. Hard wire the 6A to the charger and the 10A to one side of the change over switch.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Looking at your diagram and joining the thread late, it looks to me that you could connect both the shore power and the inverter to the AC 'bus bar' and have them both switched on. That can't be a good idea, or am I missing something?

I know it's an old page and aimed at narrowboat systems but it might be worth taking a look at http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/nb_ac_sys.html for some ideas about manual and auto changeover systems. Apart from the fact that you don't need a galvanic isolator on a motorhome installation, nearly everything else is relevant. I used one of his ideas to install a charging system on our shared narrowboat, probably using a very similar circuit to that used by @DBK

OP
OP
Red_48

Red_48

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sprinter CDI313 LWB
Exp
I appreciate the advice from all.

I have posted a link in a previous post to the double pole three way (ON / OFF / ON) isolator switch I'm considering.

If correct, this switch will prevent the Inverter and charger from being on the same circuit at the same time.

The accompanying diagram indicates the switches location, that being before the AC bus bar that supplies all AC sockets.

Reactions: DBK

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would follow one of the wiring diagrams from the "smartgauge" link or the "techno" suggestion, or alternatively/preferably get somebody "who knows" to do it for you 240v should not be messed with lightly.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I appreciate the advice from all.

I have posted a link in a previous post to the double pole three way (ON / OFF / ON) isolator switch I'm considering.

If correct, this switch will prevent the Inverter and charger from being on the same circuit at the same time.

The accompanying diagram indicates the switches location, that being before the AC bus bar that supplies all AC sockets.
My post six suggested this

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
On my previous boat, there was a (Mastervolt) box that automatically switched to shoreline (mains), when available. 240AC was either from mains or from the inverter.
Now we have a Victron inverter (don't remember which one) that has a dial to set the max current available from EHU. If you exceed the selected amount, the box synchronises with the mains frequency and supplements any excess power demand from the battery.

May 9, 2018
Sherborne,Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580PR
Exp
3yrs
Just installed a humax freesat box , my avtex was always being run on 12 volt cable , we use mainly elec ok up
Humax box needs mains power , can I just use inverter in 12 volt socket to operate it and keep mains hooked up ?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes. A simple solution, so long as the current draw to the inverter does not exceed what the socket can supply.

May 9, 2018
Sherborne,Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580PR
Exp
3yrs
If I record on my humax freesat some programmes , and the next day or so the weather really deteriorates
can I watch said recordings with dish down ? Anybody help, thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back