Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio RL
Exp
Learning to appreciate what time we have left
Just a quickie...Anyone towing a smart forfour at all?

Brief I know.. I dont want to get into an 'A frame' moment please! I have towed with an A frame for sometime now so it really does not bother me.

Hopefully someone will answer me?

Kev

Apr 25, 2015
broome norfolk
Funster No
MH
fithwheel
Exp
We have towed a Smart for four 2005 for two years now. Tow on an A frame. No problems so far. Hope this helps.

Reg and Tina

OP
OP
Carolyn and Kev
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio RL
Exp
Hi Reg and Tina. Thanks for that. Im looking at a 2015 version and Im unsure but the A frame companies
dont want to deal with any under that year? Not sure why but if it can be done then hopefully ...I wont have any issues?

Thanks for the response

Kev

Apr 25, 2015
broome norfolk
Funster No
MH
fithwheel
Exp
Hi Kev. I think you'll find the reason is the later models are not compatible gearbox/transmission wise. The later four/two's are the same.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
Do consider the Toyota IQ, about 850kilo and does seat Four is needed on the odd occasion we had a Smart but the IQ is light years better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Carolyn and Kev
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio RL
Exp
Hi little wheels..

We have had an IQ and like you loved it. just could not afford at the time to have the A frame. We have moved on now and pennies are a little better. That aside..Carolyn has a buzz for Smart cars!!
I personally need an armchair to sit in! Just wish I could pull a Jag!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you're talking about the original ForFours then they aren't like the original ForTwos at all, different mechanicals/components etc. The new version of the ForFour will likely have the same issues as the new ForTwos due to the different type of gearbox they have assuming its an automatic, however if you go for the full manual version it may not be such an issue although the weight of the ForFour will be greater which may limit if it can be done or not depending on your set-up.

If you seriously are considering a ForFour, look at the Renault Twingo which is basically the same thing as it was a joint venture between Renault and Smart with mainly cosmetic differences (same chassis, engines, gearboxes etc), but a lot cheaper and if we hadn't decided to finally bite the bullet and buy a new Smart ForTwo we'd still have our Twingo as it was great.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I’ve posted on this before, after mailing everybody and their dog, including MB Europe and all the sites I could find.
Now in capitals before you spend your pennies.
YOU CANNOT FLAT TOW THE NEW TYPE SMARTY (453) MANUAL GEARBOX CAR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
The gearbox needs the engine running to supply it with oil.
There is a get around for the 4.2 dual clutch automatic which is in the American smart car owners manual. Details on you tube.
It is not authorised in Europe because of the prohibition on a frames in Europe, and MB don’t want to be involved in the legal arguments.

As @Minxy Girl says, the Renault twingo is a clone of the smarty but has exactly the same mechanical system.

Geoff.

OP
OP
Carolyn and Kev
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio RL
Exp
Decided against it in the end guys...spoke to Mercedes of Tamworth who deal with them.

" You can tow the 2015 version (Flat tow) for mechanical breakdown purposes at 30 mile an hour.
Would not want to confirm either way as regards A frame towing? "

Now from that..It's a little too much of a gamble? SO...The Fiat it is for now and save a few bob!

Thanks guys for the info

Kev

Doggy

Free Member
Oct 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
majestic
Decided against it in the end guys...spoke to Mercedes of Tamworth who deal with them.

" You can tow the 2015 version (Flat tow) for mechanical breakdown purposes at 30 mile an hour.
Would not want to confirm either way as regards A frame towing? "

Now from that..It's a little too much of a gamble? SO...The Fiat it is for now and save a few bob!

Thanks guys for the info

Kev
Hi kev I'VE just bought a 15redg smart car forfour for my toad and that's what Merc have told me about the 30 miles at 30mph😡

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back