• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

SOLD Small Car for Daughter (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Isn`t that termed "fronting" and frowned upon by insurance co`s ? The insured is not the main driver, also your son doesn`t build his own NCD.
Not judging, just asking. When my daughter got her first car we just got the cheapest to insure we could and bit the bullet to insure in her name and me, father as named driver reduced the premium.

The insured doesn’t have to be the main driver.

You can specify any of the named drivers as the main one.

Most insurers will now give NCD credit (for what it’s worth) on time spent as a named driver.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The insured doesn’t have to be the main driver.

You can specify any of the named drivers as the main one.

Most insurers will now give NCD credit (for what it’s worth) on time spent as a named driver.
no but lying to the insurance company is insurance fraud

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Part of the reason the Aygo/107/C1 is one of the better bets insurance wise for new drivers is that it's so basic and so easy and cheap to repair. There really is nothing much to it, you could pretty much rebuild one with a Leatherman and an adjustable spanner.

You've only got to go a little way up the ranges, from an Aygo to a Yaris or from a 107 to a 207 for example, and the risk profile, therefore the premium, for a 17-20 year old jumps dramatically mostly down to the increased repair costs.

The less basic city cars, or dare I say it the better built ones, tend to be more expensive for the same reason.
Agree wife has had 2x C1 and we prefer then over toyota and Peugeot.
I know same car but C1 seems more reliable on feedback and appears better build in flesh.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
no but lying to the insurance company is insurance fraud

Who's lying?

I'm sure you wouldn't be accusing me of anything like that would you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Who's lying?

I'm sure you wouldn't be accusing me of anything like that would you?
not accusing anyone, just stating the fact its all to easy to commit fraud

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Here's a right up to date example of a reason not to have a black box. I'm not talking about what might have happened years ago, I'm talking about what insurance companies are actually doing, now, this year.

One of the current favourite restrictions is that the car can't be driven after 10pm.

Lots of teenagers now, including my lad, have jobs at places like McDonalds or in bars.

Joe quite often works until midnight. With one of those devices he wouldn't be able to drive home from work so would need one of us to chauffeur him (defeating the object of having a car in the first place) or he wouldn't be able to work therefore not be able to afford to run his car.

He also does summer work for a company providing stewarding and car parking at festivals so he does quite a few long ish and motorway journeys. This is also a big no no with most black box policies.

A choice between a car and a job is a bit of a no brainer really isn't it.
This is true.
But Jacobs ( 4/5 years ago granted ) was a no restriction on mileage or any curfew. So it may be worthwhile looking into various companies . He was actually over 18 so it may have been a bit cheaper, I don't know how much , as he paid for his own insurance and car.
He worked fulltime and used to travel all over the place on his days off. Without any penalties. The box had to send a report back to a nominated email address ( which was ours ) too. Like a tracker. He's still sensible and still got the same Golf .

Our other son wouldn't have it fitted and therefore paid a heck of a lot more for his insurance. His choice though , his money.
But then they are like chalk and cheese as brothers.
Isaacs had 2 cars both Polo both down to the floor and modified to heck. Though he's 22 next week and has grown up a lot . In fact he's just sold the car and bought a van to convert so he can take his bike ( push bike ) where ever . He's thinking about doing a basic conversion in it , so he and his girlfriend can use it as a camper too. No doubt Ralph will be on hand to help him with it.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Isn`t that termed "fronting" and frowned upon by insurance co`s ? The insured is not the main driver, also your son doesn`t build his own NCD.
Not judging, just asking. When my daughter got her first car we just got the cheapest to insure we could and bit the bullet to insure in her name and me, father as named driver reduced the premium.
It is legitimate to have a parent as the policyholder and a child as the main driver, provided you inform the insurance company. This allows the policy to be based on the experience of the younger driver, but allows the parent’s no claims bonus to be applied. I used to do this when I did not need my no claims bonus myself ( our son had a car in the UK but I didn’t. This also meant I could keep my insurance running and hence continue to build a no claims bonus ( protected). It also allows the child to build a no claims bonus as a named driver. We found that having a parent as a named driver on My son’s policy decreased the premium originally, then it increased it. With my younger daughter, having a parent as a named driver ( with the same company as my son) still reduces the policy.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Jim the Toyota/Citroen/Peugeot 107 type cars are all much the same underneath.

We have had a 107 since new (2007) and 90000 miles later it still runs like clockwork!

Cheap, fun and no need to drive it like you stole it! I have to say that it is one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned.

We will keep it until it dies!

Just get her one in the colour she likes and with a badge you can live with

Sorted!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Not in our case. The extra drivers significantly reduced the premium once we dismissed the idea of a black box.

I would never advise anyone choose to have a black box.

For every positive story like yours there are 10 or 12 horror stories.

Not in our case. The extra drivers significantly reduced the premium once we dismissed the idea of a black box.

I would never advise anyone choose to have a black box.

For every positive story like yours there are 10 or 12 horror stories.

The black box has a tracking app so the insurance can charge more if the driver is driving in a way that would give the insurers more risk of an accident. You can view this online and if his driving was within the sensible limits they cant possibly charge more. Its there on line. So I would be looking at his driving.

BTW most of my daughters friends have had Black box policies to start with and none have been stung with extra charges

The extra driver used to reduce our daughters insurance, but this year Admiral changed their policy on this as a lot of young drivers are using the car after work while a parent is using it all day. So they see it as double use. It reduced our daughters insurance by £300 removing me and my wife from the policy.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The black box has a tracking app so the insurance can charge more if the driver is driving in a way that would give the insurers more risk of an accident. You can view this online and if his driving was within the sensible limits they cant possibly charge more. Its there on line. So I would be looking at his driving.

BTW most of my daughters friends have had Black box policies to start with and none have been stung with extra charges

The extra driver used to reduce our daughters insurance, but this year Admiral changed their policy on this as a lot of young drivers are using the car after work while a parent is using it all day. So they see it as double use. It reduced our daughters insurance by £300 removing me and my wife from the policy.

Ok you’re right, I’m wrong and everyone who’s ever said anything negative about back boxes is lying to me as well as the insurance companies also lying in their T&Cs. They were also wrong when they quoted me premiums :rolleyes:

I can’t be bothered arguing about it as I really don’t care that much (y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for al the advice and help..

still not sure about best way forward with insurance..

do I get it in her name with me as named driver, or in my name with her as named driver.. she only has her provisional licence..

I'm think better if in her name and me as the named driver.. I'll be taking her out for lessons

not very keen on the black box.. thanks for the opinions

Have put a deposit down on a Citreon C1 VTR + on a 10 Reg with 69k miles .. only 2 keepers.

going to view and test drive on Saturday, and all being good will buy it..

will update with insurance when I sell a kidney :whistle:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
do I get it in her name with me as named driver, or my name with her as named driver.. she only has her provisional licence

Either or if you just want to insure it so you can take her out. It won’t make much, if any, difference.

One thing you will find is that to insure her now as a learner will be significantly cheaper than to insure her with a full licence. When she passes and you phone to let them know be prepared for the premium to almost double.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Have put a deposit down on a Citreon C1 VTR + on a 10 Reg with 69k miles .. only

VTR? :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Bloody hell.

Please tell me that’s just posh trim on a C1.

That used to be Citroen’s designation for their boy racer hot hatches.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
This is a fact, not fiction, not lies, not made up, just plain FACT (because some folks are just non-believers in anything). About 3 years ago, my wife was renewing her car insurance and again was adding my son as a named driver as she had done for previous 3 years. Direct Line accused my wife of telling porkies and that my son was the main driver and that she was only trying to get cheaper insurance for him. They might have had a point had he not stayed 140 miles away and would only be using the car on the occasional weekend he came home; they were not having it so were told to poke it. I called the next day and asked to add my son to my 3ltr Q5, no problem sir, that will be ?£s, again they were told to poke it and given the reason why, but...but...but...... Just be careful with your insurance choices (y) As NickNic says, insurance will rocket once test passed and individual can drive without a "chaperone"

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
VTR? :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Bloody hell.

Please tell me that’s just posh trim on a C1.

That used to be Citroen’s designation for their boy racer hot hatches.
Nah, it is just Vulnerable To Rust - Sorry Jim, couldn't help it :D2

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

Ok you’re right, I’m wrong and everyone who’s ever said anything negative about back boxes is lying to me as well as the insurance companies also lying in their T&Cs. They were also wrong when they quoted me premiums :rolleyes:

I can’t be bothered arguing about it as I really don’t care that much (y)

Im not arguing just stating fact so other members here can see that for us and all of my daughters friends they saved a lot of money.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
This is true.
But Jacobs ( 4/5 years ago granted ) was a no restriction on mileage or any curfew. So it may be worthwhile looking into various companies . He was actually over 18 so it may have been a bit cheaper, I don't know how much , as he paid for his own insurance and car.
He worked fulltime and used to travel all over the place on his days off. Without any penalties. The box had to send a report back to a nominated email address ( which was ours ) too. Like a tracker. He's still sensible and still got the same Golf .

Our other son wouldn't have it fitted and therefore paid a heck of a lot more for his insurance. His choice though , his money.
But then they are like chalk and cheese as brothers.
Isaacs had 2 cars both Polo both down to the floor and modified to heck. Though he's 22 next week and has grown up a lot . In fact he's just sold the car and bought a van to convert so he can take his bike ( push bike ) where ever . He's thinking about doing a basic conversion in it , so he and his girlfriend can use it as a camper too. No doubt Ralph will be on hand to help him with it.
Check out insurance before conversion under 25 yr olds not very welcome in camping machine

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Check out insurance before conversion under 25 yr olds not very welcome in camping machine
I know we told him this. But it’s not going to be a Pug mk2 . More a portapotty , mattress and a shelf for a camping stove haha
He thinks he’ll be better in that than in a tent. He’s planning on using it for work too ( builder ) so it won’t be plush.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry to say but he wont find white van insurance very resonable either
I dont follow insurance logic
Youd think they could work out a van converson would be better looked after and driven than an out of the box hot rod but it dont work that way

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have put a deposit down on a Citreon C1 VTR + on a 10 Reg with 69k miles .. only 2 keepers.

going to view and test drive on Saturday, and all being good will buy it..

will update with insurance when I sell a kidney :whistle:

all done.. car viewed, tested and bought today, . .. Tax paid and insured through Swinton for £378..

policy is in my name with Chaz as main driver .. no black box

will be delivered early next week after service and new MOT ..

happy girl..

IMG_3329.jpg

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
all done.. car viewed, tested and bought today, . .. Tax paid and insured through Swinton for £378..

policy is in my name with Chaz as named driver .. no black box

will be delivered early next week after service and new MOT ..

happy girl..

View attachment 252518
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure insurance companies may frown on that if daughter is actually the main driver? Think they call it fronting but ...............:unsure:
ps pleased you've got her sorted out with something though.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I have a Hyundai 110 and absolutely love it. A friend who is 6’ tall drove it this weekend and really enjoyed it. She said it was very nippy for a 1 ltr engine and she was very comfortable in it - height and leg room more than adequate and 4 doors.
now I tried one of those, am 5'1" but have short arms could not get comfortable, bought a Vauxhall viva, not happy with the head rest, that too is due to my height john doesn't have a problem though.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
my daughter is just about to sell her 2009 fiat 500 after 4 years as she is getting bored of it. light blue in colour, leather interior (I fitted it last year from a 2013 model) - but here's the big thing - its been converted to LPG when it was brand new! I've told her she will never get a car that's as cheap to drive - shame you've got your daughter sorted Jim as its a real girlie car and she is only about 20 miles away! its due an MoT this week so depending on how that goes - it may come up for sale - would make a great little tow car !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back