• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

SOLD Small Car for Daughter (8 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Looking for a small car for my 18 yo daughter, any make but must be low insurance group, ideally Group 1

Up to £3k ..

we live in Suffolk near Woodbridge..

thanks for reading

Jim

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Would this be any good?

(Not much room inside for passengers. )

red-2014-lamborghini-aventador-lp-700-4-roadster-supercar-isolated-DTHAYD.jpg

JJ :cool:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looking for a small car for my 18 yo daughter, any make but must be low insurance group, ideally Group 1

Up to £3k ..

we live in Suffolk near Woodbridge..

thanks for reading

Jim
How about a 10 plate lowest mileage Smart car passion cabriolet ?
£1700

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How about a 10 plate lowest mileage Smart car passion cabriolet ?
£1700

thanks John.. I'll ask her, but I think the insurance may be a wee bit high, would need to check , Is it Group 7 ?

EDIT l

asked her , she says no, too small only two seats .. wimmin.. can't please 'em :rolleyes:

thanks again John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Suggest a Toyota Argo. We had one that all 3 kids learned in. Low insurance, cheap servicing. More space than you might think. Also available as the Citroen c1 and Peugeot 107

Edit. Also makes a nice Toad when she’s finished with it!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
yes, that was on the list .. thanks

The Aygo, 107 and C1 are the same car. They’re great for new drivers because they’re cheap and easy to repair - a front wing is about 50 quid and has 4 bolts.

The boy has a 107. The insurance, although still ridiculous, was the cheapest I could find which is the main reason I bought the car.

Don’t drive it yourself though - the 1 litre 3 cylinder petrol engine is soul destroying unless you treat it like a bike and rag the life out of it :D2

With regard to insurance be careful. The current trend, which will be hard sold by the insurance companies, is to have a “black box” fitted. If you go down that route read the small print very very carefully. However cheap the top line quote is it’s highly likely you’ll eventually end up paying more. Personally I would never take a policy that requires one.

I spent some time playing around with quotes and ended up registering and insuring the car in my name on a standard policy with the boy and ‘er indoors as named drivers. That ended up being about £100 more than having it in his name with a black box.

The usual warnings about never taking the cheapest quote apply.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Jaws just hope she doesn't want a bike :eek::eek:
but then she would know where to come..
DSCF1338.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It doesn't seem that long ago Jim, when your Chas was a nipper on our first meet at Ferry Meadows. :eek: Time certainly marches on.

Good luck with the search. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Jim we bought Sophie a Toyota Aygo when she was 17, she's now 21 and still has it and loves it. Ok you wouldn't want to drive up and down the motorway all day but for round town and the occasional longer run it's ideal.

For the first few months as she was a learner we had our names on the policy and the cost was around £250, when she past her test it went up to £375 and stayed roughly the same for the next year. When we went to renew it this Febuarary while she was only 20 they said it would be cheaper taking my name off the policy, her insurance for the year was £264 fully comp.

They're great on fuel too as Sophie can drive around Edinburgh for a month while at uni, funnily it always needs filling up on home visits :)

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
My mother in law has a argo a great car
4 door cheap to keep and reliable
Good luck with the search.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It doesn't seem that long ago Jim, when your Chas was a nipper on our first meet at Ferry Meadows. :eek: Time certainly marches on.

Good luck with the search. (y)

Cheers,

scary isn't it..

some memories for you .. time you had a new van .. :LOL:

IMG_0045_1_2.jpg IMG_0046.jpg IMG_0047.jpg IMG_0048.jpg IMG_0051.jpg IMG_0054.jpg IMG_0064.jpg

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have a Hyundai 110 and absolutely love it. A friend who is 6’ tall drove it this weekend and really enjoyed it. She said it was very nippy for a 1 ltr engine and she was very comfortable in it - height and leg room more than adequate and 4 doors.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Kia Picanto , not too small , and drives quite nice, my daughter had two , (first one got rear ended by a taxi ! ). She now runs a Suzi SX4 4 grip :)

eg

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
My advice would be to go a bit older.
Try a Toyota Yaris from around 1999 to 2006.
Get one built in Japan as the Polish ones are sh*t.

Cheap to buy cheap to run and no issues with them.
Whats not to like :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Aye, and I'm still in touch with at least three of the ralliers from back then in 2005. ;)

time you had a new van .. :LOL:
Ha Ha Jim, my baby is still going strong, and still will be, (with all the TLC she gets ;) ), when others are lying in a scrapyard somewhere. ;)

Back on topic ;) I've driven a Toyota Yaris, and was very impressed with it. :) I'm not sure I'd want to do a long journey in one though.

Cheers,

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Part of the reason the Aygo/107/C1 is one of the better bets insurance wise for new drivers is that it's so basic and so easy and cheap to repair. There really is nothing much to it, you could pretty much rebuild one with a Leatherman and an adjustable spanner.

You've only got to go a little way up the ranges, from an Aygo to a Yaris or from a 107 to a 207 for example, and the risk profile, therefore the premium, for a 17-20 year old jumps dramatically mostly down to the increased repair costs.

The less basic city cars, or dare I say it the better built ones, tend to be more expensive for the same reason.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
With regard to insurance be careful. The current trend, which will be hard sold by the insurance companies, is to have a “black box” fitted. If you go down that route read the small print very very carefully. However cheap the top line quote is it’s highly likely you’ll eventually end up paying more. Personally I would never take a policy that requires one.

I spent some time playing around with quotes and ended up registering and insuring the car in my name on a standard policy with the boy and ‘er indoors as named drivers. That ended up being about £100 more than having it in his name with a black box.

The usual warnings about never taking the cheapest quote apply.

My Daughter has a C1 and went for a black box policy for the first year. It saved over £300 and insured she drove carefully so was a good idea. No extra was charged.
The trend was to add a parent on as driver as it brought down premiums, this has changed and the extra driver increases the premium these days so beware.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My Daughter has a C1 and went for a black box policy for the first year. It saved over £300 and insured she drove carefully so was a good idea. No extra was charged.
The trend was to add a parent on as driver as it brought down premiums, this has changed and the extra driver increases the premium these days so beware.

Not in our case. The extra drivers significantly reduced the premium once we dismissed the idea of a black box.

I would never advise anyone choose to have a black box.

For every positive story like yours there are 10 or 12 horror stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our eldest son had a black box at 17 it brought his insurance right down too. He was a sensible driver . Still is at nearly 24.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Here's a right up to date example of a reason not to have a black box. I'm not talking about what might have happened years ago, I'm talking about what insurance companies are actually doing, now, this year.

One of the current favourite restrictions is that the car can't be driven after 10pm.

Lots of teenagers now, including my lad, have jobs at places like McDonalds or in bars.

Joe quite often works until midnight. With one of those devices he wouldn't be able to drive home from work so would need one of us to chauffeur him (defeating the object of having a car in the first place) or he wouldn't be able to work therefore not be able to afford to run his car.

He also does summer work for a company providing stewarding and car parking at festivals so he does quite a few long ish and motorway journeys. This is also a big no no with most black box policies.

A choice between a car and a job is a bit of a no brainer really isn't it.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Back on topic ;) I've driven a Toyota Yaris, and was very impressed with it. :) I'm not sure I'd want to do a long journey in one though.

The older ones are the better ones to buy.
Ive done trips of 250 miles and no bum issues :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just remember it is insurance fraud to insure a car in your name with your son or daughter as named driver, when really they are the main or only real driver. not only will they not build up a no claims discount, they will also be penalised when caught.
your insurance for everything else will also rocket because you have had a policy cancelled and it will be recorded in the insurance shared databases

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
What is insurance fraud?
There are many different types of insurance fraud. Here is a brief outline of some of the fraudulent acts that are most common.

Crash scams

‘Flash for cash’ is when a driver flashes their lights to signal to other drivers they are safe to pull out at a junction, then crashing into them. 'Crash for cash' scam includes slamming on the brakes without warning and for no reason, forcing a rear end collision by the driver behind. Some criminals have even been known to remove their brake light bulbs, so the unwary driver behind has less chance to stop.

Fronting

Fronting occurs when a driver declares to a car insurance company that they are the main driver of a vehicle but it is actually someone else. Usually, an older, more experienced driver falsely insures a vehicle in their own name, even though the main driver is a younger, riskier motorist. As such, fronting is often committed by parents with the aim of getting a cheaper insurance quote.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I spent some time playing around with quotes and ended up registering and insuring the car in my name on a standard policy with the boy and ‘er indoors as named drivers.
Isn`t that termed "fronting" and frowned upon by insurance co`s ? The insured is not the main driver, also your son doesn`t build his own NCD.
Not judging, just asking. When my daughter got her first car we just got the cheapest to insure we could and bit the bullet to insure in her name and me, father as named driver reduced the premium.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back