Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Is Motorhome Fun subject to the new ruling by Rural England??
The new rule which is now law states that Motorhomes and Caravans must now be parked six meters apart and awnings must have a gap of three meters when parked next to a van with awning out.fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Have you got a link to this please?
Is it now law?
I know that some of the mc rallies have been cancelled as it would have reduced the number of attending units.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First of all it isn't a new ruling. What has happened recently is that the MCC has incorporated the 6 meter recommendation into its constitution in such a way that it has to be applied at MCC rallies.

As far as the law goes, the standards for spacing arise from S5 of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. There are central government model standards for static sites on the National Archives web site, but that appears to be because the legislation changed relatively recently. Model standards for touring sites were published in 1983 so have not been loaded centrally to the Internet but most councils publish their own versions, e.g. Eden Council on a link from this page.

As far as Fun is concerned Safety Spacing is covered in the Link Removed (in the resources section). The first paragraph reads:
Our insurance company dictates that a minimum spacing of 6 metres is required between motorhomes. There should also be 3 metres clear around the entire outfit; where an outfit is taken to mean and include the motorhome (or caravan) an awning room, pup tent, trailer and car. When siting vans remember that emergency vehicles should also be able to secure access at all times to within 50 metres of any Motorhome on the site.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
There was a small incident at the Welland Steam rally on the camping field this year, this had the organisers checking gaps.

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
There's have been two serious incidents over the last 9 months that I am personally aware of. Now I am a bit of a stickler if I am asked to park up too close to another van. I know it means that some rallies have to be cancelled if not enough room but if it saves lives ...... it should be adhered to. That's my opinion.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
When we are marshalling RVOC rallies we are pedantic about the 6 metre rule often to the annoyance of some who cannot or will not understand the risk they are putting themselves and their neighbours under in the rare event of a problem. As a marshal you are often given an area which is slightly smaller than the required and expected to work within it. Lets face it the first to whinge if anything goes wrong will be the ones who whinge because you tell them where they need to park a particular way round and in a particular location and no they cannot park awning to awning with their bestest mate.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Pretty much every music festival in the country will be interesting next year if this nonsense is universally applied.

It makes me even more glad that we don't tour in this country.
We used to take part in civil war reenactment and the stupid overcrowding had to be seen to be believed.

It makes me glad we don't do that any more.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We used to take part in civil war reenactment and the stupid overcrowding had to be seen to be believed.

I guess hand to hand combat would have been less fun if you had to be 6 metres away from the next person........

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
When we are marshalling RVOC rallies we are pedantic about the 6 metre rule often to the annoyance of some who cannot or will not understand the risk they are putting themselves and their neighbours under in the rare event of a problem. As a marshal you are often given an area which is slightly smaller than the required and expected to work within it. Lets face it the first to whinge if anything goes wrong will be the ones who whinge because you tell them where they need to park a particular way round and in a particular location and no they cannot park awning to awning with their bestest mate.
Issa requirement init Borr,,, ya carrnt be a marrshell less'n ya arr peedantick?!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Sounds as if you survived though

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
Yet static caravans on holiday sites just about have room to park a car between them. Seems like one rule for some and one for the rest!!!

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
most of my motorhoming is mostly in France and I have often been a metre or two from my neighbour. le Crotoy or Honfluer aires have hundreds of motohomes parked within a few metres of each other.

Just looked around the side of my house and noticed next door is about a metre from my house and the other side we have linked garages.....

has there ever been a fire situation in an aire in France, or anywhere in Europe that could have been avoided by the 6 metre rule?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Six meters?

electromech_dial_meter_img.jpg

That's quite close

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just as well petrol isn't flammable, that'd really bugger car parks up .
Oh, hang on ...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
most of my motorhoming is mostly in France and I have often been a metre or two from my neighbour. le Crotoy or Honfluer aires have hundreds of motohomes parked within a few metres of each other.

Just looked around the side of my house and noticed next door is about a metre from my house and the other side we have linked garages.....

has there ever been a fire situation in an aire in France, or anywhere in Europe that could have been avoided by the 6 metre rule?
Yes , someone posted it early this year or end of last. In Italy I think.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Houses are built in such a way you have some time to exit the building before it engulfs the one not on fire :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We don't have enough space left in this country to adopt that rule. As others have pointed out, they don't subscribe to such notions in Europe (even though they have much more space there) and I'm not aware of anyone complaining about it over there, so one of us must be a little misguided.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Houses are built in such a way you have some time to exit the building before it engulfs the one not on fire :)
Ahh Borr, but yar carnt drive yar ouse aways frompt t'one burnin next t'ya, canya?! Thassa little gem far'ya'arwl from dun ear in Narfuk. :LOL:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years

Not sure if link will work

Motorhome Inferno
Link Removed

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It all depends on your attitude to risk. If you park awning to awning with your best mate, their m/h goes up & takes yours with it, will your insurers seek to reduce the payout to you (or your estate, if you didn't get out in time), citing contributory negligence because you ignored recommended practice?

If you don't believe it would ever happen, then park as close as you like. If you are prepared to dismiss the risk of being uninsured if it did happen, then park close. But respect the fact that others may not wish to take that risk, either to their own van or to their liability as site owners or rally organisers. If the condition of attendance on a site or at a rally is the recommended separation, then either abide by it or don't go - after all, there is the whole of the rest of Europe to go cuddle up in. It's not fair to expect rally marshals to deliberately invalidate the insurance Jim has arranged.

Personally, I prefer a bit of space around me. But if it's somewhere I want to be & it's either cuddle up or don't go, then I'll usually take the risk. Always feel a bit uncomfortable though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back