Shurflo Water pressure pump packed up but I fixed it! Yeh! (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
As you’ll see from the photos below the water pressure pump is a stubborn little 12 volt affair that’s bad mannered and NEVER does as it’s told. Ours has had the equivalent of the terrible twos since we got our Autotrail Apache 632 in September 2019.
A brief description for those that are curious will, I hope, suffice. The pump is designed to pressurise the fresh water tank to 20psi (about 1.4 bar) so that when you operate a tap, or the shower or the toilet flush the water is forced out of the tap by the pressure in the tank. The pump kicks in immediately you operate the tap in an attempt to re-pressurise the tank. Our little sod would work 9 times out of 10, but occasionally it would not fire up. I applied the brute force and ignorance, coupled with a little well meaning rage and a short length of scaffolding pole, method and all was soon restored to order. Then lockdown reared it’s ugly head..... No trips out for three, nearly four, months. Now the little b*****d won’t switch off after you turn off the tap! Infuriating! Applications of the scaffolding pole left it intransigent and refusing to co-operate.
Right! Time for the application of some science! A new pump is around £80, so what’s the worst I can do if I take the original to bits?
Intuition lead me to believe that the pump has a faulty pressure switch, my knowledge of motors and pumps made me concentrate on the wiring into the bottom of the pump. I slightly undid the three screws holding a black plastic box to the bottom of the pump, oops! Rush back into the MoHo and turn the electric tap switch on the control panel to “Off” Return to the scene of the crime and the water’s stopped peeing all over the garage floor! Note to self.... remember never to work with animals, children or live electrical systems..... Anyway the water had stopped escaping so I unwound the screws the rest of the way, undid the wiring and removed the black box for inspection.
My multimeter proved that pressing the pressure switch created continuity through the two terminals that the removed wiring had exposed. It worked every single time the pressure switch was activated. The people on eBay want to sell you a micro-switch, which is one of only two moving components in this little contraption, they want at least £5 for it, it’s worth at the most 20p. I took the assembly completely to pieces and inspected the micro-switch, it’s in perfect working order, I next looked at the pressure spring, perhaps a little sticky in it’s housing? Cleaned the housing with some very fine emery paper.
Re-assembly is pretty straight forward, tighten everything up, check everything is watertight then turn on the tap, turn off the tap, PUMP STILL RUNNING!!
Took it all to bits again and noticed a very small 2mm grub screw below the the pressure springing the underside of the housing, I had a hell of a job getting an Allan key into it as it looked like someone had been there before me with a screwdriver, I loosened it half a turn anti-clockwise, re-assemble.
Robert’s your Mother’s Brother!
Works like it should have done right from the start.
Mrs. A is very pleased, this means that when I go for a pee in the middle of the night and flush the bog she no longer has to leap, scantily clad and torch in hand, to the garage door, fumble with the locks, drop the keys in the long grass, bash the pump with the scaffolding pole, waking up the rest of the campsite and drawing the wrath of the warden, then tripping over the dogs lead and falling face first into the long, wet, grass before returning to our marital bed, yes, very pleased!
So for all you funsters out there with a shurflo water pressure pump, fiddle with the Allan headed grub screw before you by any new components or a new pump!!

Cheers!

Russ

The pump
1DC0F1DE-E259-41C8-841C-9477A41DBF7E.jpeg

42A08C01-C3A2-4A2B-B0A4-5DB9C14464E2.jpeg

The Allan screw is the only circular item in the picture that isn’t obviously a screw head.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think you misunderstand the function of the pump.
The pump pressurise the pipework upstream of the pump.
Open a tap (hot or cold) and the pressure drop starts the pump which draws water from the tank and push it through the system. Close the tap and pressure in the upstream pipes increasing causing the pump to stop.
To pressurise the tank would need an air pump.

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Thanks Pappajohn! What you say makes eminent sense, the long n short of it though was the pressure switch’s refusal to operate correctly. I bet lots of people take their MoHo’s n campers n tuggers back to the dealers and get hit for a new pump and the fitting costs when the adjustment of an Allan screw would have relieved all the heartache. :giggle:(y)

Cheers!

Russ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm sure some do.
As you've gathered, the screw controls the pressure point the microswitch triggers at.
It can't adjust the pump pressure though, that's pre-set at factory.

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Pappajohn I bow to your superior wisdom. Between my fumbling and your knowledge we’ll hopefully help a few bods out there when tackling the water related problems of MoHoing.

Thanks Again!

Russ

DrunkenDuncan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
Not enough!
Having a similar issue on the Pilote in that the pump pulsates making the shower pressure intermittent.
Went looking for the pressure switch adjustment allen screw and found the pump installed under the fridge where the only way I can see to get at it is to take the pump off the wall mounting!
0F8F72DD-4DA3-4241-88E8-3954BA307833.jpeg
6A1A1EB2-D8C9-4DE2-BDC1-673615B4D18D.jpeg

Not exactly installed with any adjustments/maintenance in mind are they???

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Having a similar issue on the Pilote in that the pump pulsates making the shower pressure intermittent.
Went looking for the pressure switch adjustment allen screw and found the pump installed under the fridge where the only way I can see to get at it is to take the pump off the wall mounting!View attachment 415380View attachment 415381
It's French, innit? Now if it was a Hymer... :angel:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Went looking for the pressure switch adjustment allen screw and found the pump installed under the fridge where the only way I can see to get at it is to take the pump off the wall mounting!View attachment 415380View attachment 415381
A Fiamma A20 expansion/accumulator will help with the pulsing if you cant sort it out with the adjusting screw.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If you are experiencing "pulsing" to the point it is annoying, there are devices known as acumulaotors which use an air (or nitrogen) filled bladder in a sealed vessel, this creates an "evening" out of the pulsing. We had one fitted to the Winnebago, Being a first Generation device it required the use of a bicycle pump periodically to repressurise it!. BTW, sealed central heating systems often have them too?.

Edit: Notice Diabalo, got there first. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back