Shower Mushroom Vent Extract Fan (1 Viewer)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I recall last summer the shower/wc room in my PVC got very warm. I could emerge sweatier from a shower than before I started :tmi:

The van has a small sized mushroom vent. The internal grille and so tube diameter is an approximate 75mm (3"). Looking within there may be a mounting that could have taken a light fitting, but Autotrail didn't wire up for this or put in a bulb.

I can see a few mushroom extractor fan assemblies online with fans, but the only dimensions suggest the tube is probably bigger than my fitting. I don't want to start taking the whole thing apart and enlarging holes in the roof.

Has anyone fitted a 12v fan to this type of vent. If so what?

Also would it be sensible to try and take a power feed from a light fitting in the shower/wc or is that likely to be inadequate and overload the wires and fusing? Wherever I get the feed from will need to be fairly easy to get to as I don't want to be pulling the internal finishes apart.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 55
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Could you put an axial computer fan in it? Ours is a bit bigger but that's what I did, it's mounted in 4mm perspex. Also put an LED in it so you can see for the midnight wee. (hey that rhymes 🤔) 😂

Screenshot_20200704-072937_Gallery.jpg

Works really well, I slowed it down with a resistor, so it's very quiet but you can feel a draught coming in under the door when it's on.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
My old van had a mushroom vent like that and I did look at fitting a solar canal boat vent that was just a bit larger but in the end decided to go brave and fit a midi heki instead

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Thanks all. I'm not sure a computer type fan would work. Trying to do the equivalent of fitting a square peg into a round hole? I'm also reluctant to be cutting up the roof and trip to fit a larger rooflight, although the daylight gain from doing so could be nice.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could use the existing 'hole' and fit a surface mounted 12v extractor fan on the inside and leave the existing tube and external cover as it is.

Personally I'd be taking off the inside cover to see what size hole there actually is as I suspect it will be larger than you think.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thinking 'outside the shower' ... does it have to be hard wired? Could you have a fan that you can 'place' over the existing internal vent when you want to use it?

I'm just wondering if a battery operated cooler fan, mounted back to front so that it blows air out rather than towards you would work? Something like this assuming it's powerful enough.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=254632724026

1593880438520.png

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Our Hobby didn't have a roof mounted vent at all.
All we had was a window at waist height.

We went the whole nine Yards by having a small non Heki Heki??? (roof vent) fitted

We can wind it up and down when the shower is being used and on a night if we're in warmer climes.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
I recall last summer the shower/wc room in my PVC got very warm. I could emerge sweatier from a shower than before I started :tmi:

The van has a small sized mushroom vent. The internal grille and so tube diameter is an approximate 75mm (3"). Looking within there may be a mounting that could have taken a light fitting, but Autotrail didn't wire up for this or put in a bulb.

I can see a few mushroom extractor fan assemblies online with fans, but the only dimensions suggest the tube is probably bigger than my fitting. I don't want to start taking the whole thing apart and enlarging holes in the roof.

Has anyone fitted a 12v fan to this type of vent. If so what?

Also would it be sensible to try and take a power feed from a light fitting in the shower/wc or is that likely to be inadequate and overload the wires and fusing? Wherever I get the feed from will need to be fairly easy to get to as I don't want to be pulling the internal finishes apart.
Hi, I have the same problem can you tell me if you solved it or not.

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Nope never got round to doing something about it. Feeble excuse but at that time van was less than a year old so didn't want to screw it up and make a mess. But since then have made so many other changes it wouldn't matter. Biggest challenge with the lightweight Autotrail electrics would be power supply as I'd be wary of even a slight added load on the existing lighting, and even then would have "fun" getting power over the ceiling panel. But a computer type fan may be best option if one could be sized to fit.

Meanwhile as a single, just keep the space tolerable by closing blinds on all windows so I keep the door adjar. Might not be so practical when there are two people.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
About 40yrs ago when I converted my VW T25, I fitted a Narrow Boat Mushroom vent in the roof to give waterproof ventilation.
At the time there was ones the spun to act as an extraction fan powered by the wind (similar to what one sees on house chimneys) so, perhaps, its worth looking in some Boat Chandlers?

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Hate to think how fast a wind vent would rotate at 70mph on a van roof compared to the walking pace barge boat fitment ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Mine could be withdrawn down in very high winds, cannot comment on other types? :unsure:
With my ineptitude in pre flight checks first I'd know I hadn't wound it in would be the almighty whirring noise as I hit the M25 (on the one day of year it isn't a car park) followed by seeing it bouncing along the road in my rear view mirrors :frowny:

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I've got an Autotrail PVC with an identical bathroom to Kannon Fodda - although I've never really felt the need for an extractor fan.

This on eBay looks like it could be made to fit though -

Or this similar one -

Getting 12v to it should be fairly easy. The fibreglass architrave panel containing the three LED lights in the bathroom unscrews at the top edge giving access to both the electrics and the roof void - (I know because I routed my solar wires down behind the bathroom).

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
With my ineptitude in pre flight checks first I'd know I hadn't wound it in would be the almighty whirring noise as I hit the M25 (on the one day of year it isn't a car park) followed by seeing it bouncing along the road in my rear view mirrors :frowny:
Since when have started checking mirrors :giggler:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The central part of a computer fan is round so a 75mm one could, with very minor effort, be trimmed to fit a 3" tube. Current draw is mA and is not an issue.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Nope never got round to doing something about it. Feeble excuse but at that time van was less than a year old so didn't want to screw it up and make a mess. But since then have made so many other changes it wouldn't matter. Biggest challenge with the lightweight Autotrail electrics would be power supply as I'd be wary of even a slight added load on the existing lighting, and even then would have "fun" getting power over the ceiling panel. But a computer type fan may be best option if one could be sized to fit.

Meanwhile as a single, just keep the space tolerable by closing blinds on all windows so I keep the door adjar. Might not be so practical when there are two people.
Hi, We met at a funster meet at Bridport a couple of years ago. You showed me your electrics setup. I had an Autosleeper xl at the time I now have a Roller Team Toleno which is similar to your van but on a long wheelbase. We love the van but would like some natural light and air movement in the toilet. I am considering a fan for the vent as per your previous discussion and either a heki roof vent or porthole in the door. I am loathe to do anything just yet as the warranty would be affected.

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Hi, We met at a funster meet at Bridport a couple of years ago. You showed me your electrics setup. I had an Autosleeper xl at the time I now have a Roller Team Toleno which is similar to your van but on a long wheelbase. We love the van but would like some natural light and air movement in the toilet. I am considering a fan for the vent as per your previous discussion and either a heki roof vent or porthole in the door. I am loathe to do anything just yet as the warranty would be affected.
It's quite a bit different now from a wiring perspective with more seditious. I'm not going cutting larger holes in the roof for a Heki, even if that could be the ideal solution. Worried enough on drilling a hole for the Mifi aerial leaf I added.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
A couple of years ago when I was worried I might be getting stalked by a Welsh woman :angel:
I've got a mushroom fan in my van . And a window, I will have a look at the van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back