Show us your 3d printed bits! (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What a great thread, surprised ive not saw it before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I’m more than happy to fettle it, far better than my multiple attempts at gluing it 🤣🤣😂😂

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Me too, I’m sat here now watching YouTube videos, I wasn’t aware of what can be created and the skills required 👍 it’s fascinating

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Great thread as others have said. I am amazed how quickly 3D printing seems to have taken off.
I would like to give it try but I am not very computer orientated and can’t realy justify the cost at the moment.
If I find something I need I will gladly pay for some one to print it for me.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Oh PaulandChrissy what printer do you have and would you recommend it??
Hi
i have a Prusa Mini+ and a Prusa i3MK3s. I would recommend either of them. The Mini+ is half the price of the MK3s but still makes a nice job. The MK3s is £700 and definitely gives better results, but with fine tuning the cheaper machine gets very clowe. It does take time to master the machines, and the CAD design takes a bit if practice, as does everything on a computer. Morning Major did a cracking bit of design work. 👍

PaulandChrissy

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I didn’t expect it to look as close to the original as it does, thought it would just be similar but well impressed 👍👍

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I too have been reading this thread and really impressed with the items folk are able to design and produce. (y)

I was in receipt last year, of an extended flue condensation diverter plate, from PaulandChrissy. (y)

I was going to ask if anyone could make me one of these, an operating lever for a Qualcast Lawnmower which failed on me this morning :( however, a search on the internet found plenty available for about a fiver, including postage.

1628080932381.png

Keep showing us yer bits please. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
The more I look around the motorhome the more parts I imagine could be made 😃😃 (holders for the vacuum tools, clips for the curtain rails etc)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If any of you 3D chaps are looking for decent panels for your projects it is worth considering using PCB's.

The cheap chinese producers can do accurate holes for mounting switches, sockets and other items alongside mounting holes.
The solder masks come in a variety of colours and the silk screen printing of the text is pretty decent quality.

Here is an example of what I mean.

1628092120759.png

This is the guy that gave me the idea.

Mar 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728
Exp
Since 1995
Burstner loo roll holder featuring Abec 7 bearings for a super smooth dispensing experience!

It also has an ‘in transit’ mode to prevent that ‘Andrex dog moment’ where the super low friction bearings dump an entire loo roll in just seconds!

B78933FB-727D-4D51-A3B5-D026A0D8DB8D.jpeg

78607EBB-9FFF-4F71-A26D-6FD71F0183D6.jpeg

Jul 24, 2021
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
C Class - Autotrail
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all,

I have attached a zip file with stl files for printing clips to slide into a thule or fiamma canopy, will also fit caravan awning rail, can be useful to hang things off.

Enjoy

Paul

Attachments

• Awning rail thule rail clips.jpg
    Awning rail thule rail clips.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Various clips.zip
    170.1 KB · Views: 21
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Hi all,

I have attached a zip file with stl files for printing clips to slide into a thule or fiamma canopy, will also fit caravan awning rail, can be useful to hang things off.

Enjoy

Paul
Neat idea. 👍

Jul 24, 2021
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
C Class - Autotrail
Exp
Since 2019
Here's a clip I designed to hold led strip (IP65 rated) use one at each end with a small bungee to provide tension.

Enjoy

Paul

Attachments

• ledholder.zip
    67.1 KB · Views: 25
  • LED_Strip_Clip2.jpg
    LED_Strip_Clip2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 41
  • LED_Strip_Clip1.jpg
    LED_Strip_Clip1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 41
Nov 13, 2019
Husbands Bosworth
Funster No
MH
Laika A class
Exp
Since 2013
I tried Fusion 360 as I thought I'd brush up on 3d design for a CNC router, I already do 3D printing and thought I had a decent handle on the design tools.

Recently I've settled on TinkerCad, an online system that lets me compose articles from simple shapes, cones, squares, you just drag and drop then size them. It also has a full library of interesting parts like screw threads, letters and such. I find it much easier than Fusion 360.

John

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Just a general comment about designing parts for 3d printing using the common FDM ('squirt melted plastic out of a nozzle') type home 3d printing.

FDM prints are built up in layers. This has two effects you have to consider:
1) You can't print on fresh air. When the piece is orientated on the print bed and you're half way through the print, you can't have big overhangs or the printer will be squirting the plastic into thin air. You'll just end up with a mess of droopy spaghetti. Lots of the 3d printer software 'slicers' will help you create sacrificial supports that you break off when the print is finished to support overhangs. But this takes longer to print, wastes plastic and often leaves an uneven finish where the support was attached.
2) The prints are strong along the layers, but the bond between layers is much weaker. Similar to grain in wood. So any part that has any load on it, you have to think about which way up you'll print it when you design it.

So 3d printers are great for replacing broken parts. But as mass produced plastic is normally moulded, they didn't have the same constraints when they designed it. So sometimes it can be better to redesign a part for 3d printing than make a straight copy.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
That’s an excellent overview of FDM 3D printing and it’s limitations. Mass production is definitely its big limitation. Larger items take hours and even days to print.
It’s advantage, is printing unique low volume unobtainable items that can be redesigned to be stronger or better designed. Or one off items for unique application.
I personally overcome the printing into thin air problem by printing separate parts to the project that can be jointed together to make a better overall end result. Printing support is in my view a last resort, and should be avoided at all costs. With a bit of lateral thought you can come up with a very smart item.
That’s just my little bit of input if funsters can understand it.
Plus it’s just fun making special items that you probably just can’t find.

Stay Safe everyone. PaulandChrissy
Just a general comment about designing parts for 3d printing using the common FDM ('squirt melted plastic out of a nozzle') type home 3d printing.

FDM prints are built up in layers. This has two effects you have to consider:
1) You can't print on fresh air. When the piece is orientated on the print bed and you're half way through the print, you can't have big overhangs or the printer will be squirting the plastic into thin air. You'll just end up with a mess of droopy spaghetti. Lots of the 3d printer software 'slicers' will help you create sacrificial supports that you break off when the print is finished to support overhangs. But this takes longer to print, wastes plastic and often leaves an uneven finish where the support was attached.
2) The prints are strong along the layers, but the bond between layers is much weaker. Similar to grain in wood. So any part that has any load on it, you have to think about which way up you'll print it when you design it.

So 3d printers are great for replacing broken parts. But as mass produced plastic is normally moulded, they didn't have the same constraints when they designed it. So sometimes it can be better to redesign a part for 3d printing than make a straight copy.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
What I didn't mention was that FDM 3d printing also has upsides. You can print fantastically complicated shapes that wouldn't be possible (or at least economical) to make using a moulding process. And unlike moulded plastics, you can make something that appears to be solid plastic without it being heavy or costing a fortune because the slicer software actually fills the void with a honeycomb, so it's nearly all air.

I personally overcome the printing into thin air problem by printing separate parts to the project that can be jointed together to make a better overall end result.
I've split parts only a couple of times. It's a pretty advanced technique! I've not come up with a consistent way of tightly joining stuff together again. My best efforts have been to put a hole through the whole lot and sandwich it together with a nut and bolt...

Jul 24, 2021
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
C Class - Autotrail
Exp
Since 2019
I agree with you both, there are some limitations with FDM, other rapid prototyping technologies also have technical limitations when compared to production parts whether injection moulded, vacuum formed, extruded and so on.

When I design parts for FDM I always consider print direction. Holes printed parallel to the print bed will be far more accurate to ones being printed perpendicular to the bed. Printing in thin air can be challenging, As Paul mentioned careful consideration to the approach of printing can make all the difference. Also if the item is too big for the print envelope consider adding features such as clips or dove tails to form the final item. Of course this depends on how familiar you are with 3D CAD modelling and the software package you have.

I am fortunate to have access to a printer that has two heads, one prints the support material, the other ABS material. Once finished the support material is soluble and dissolves in a tank. I don’t have to worry about printing in thin air as the software just adds support material where needed.

As well as printing parts, I also design and print parts as fixtures/jigs to hold items that are difficult to hold whilst you need to perform another operation. For those who like to do their own van conversion a quick print of small jigs for repeatability of drilling holes or marking out can really help.

The beauty of printing you’re own parts/creations is if it works great. If not decide what’s gone wrong alter your design print another, it’s surprising the strength of a 2mm dia fillet in corners can achieve. It’s all good fun.

Cheers

Paul

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I saw one 3d printer video where they guy was doing something semi structural. He left recesses in the print which later came back and reinforced with fibre glass and epoxy resin.

He used to make moulds and do the entire thing with fibre glass and epoxy. But the 3d printer made it so much faster and then just a little bit of reinforcing. Looked really good.

If I have time later I will try and find the video.

Jul 24, 2021
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
C Class - Autotrail
Exp
Since 2019
That’s interesting Gromett,

There’s many other uses, I know some of the F1 teams use 3D prints in soluble materials, they print the complex part, wrap in carbon fibre. Then dissolve printed material, useful for complex air ducts, manifolds etc. Kind of high tech lost wax casting.

Mar 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728
Exp
Since 1995
The white sections are 3d printed pipe adapters I made when adding a motorised grey water dump valve, which allows me to dump my waste from the drivers seat…

… yes, I am really that lazy 😂

2B8A6FE5-65ED-4D08-8870-0A137506C57F.jpeg

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I use nuts and bolt
What I didn't mention was that FDM 3d printing also has upsides. You can print fantastically complicated shapes that wouldn't be possible (or at least economical) to make using a moulding process. And unlike moulded plastics, you can make something that appears to be solid plastic without it being heavy or costing a fortune because the slicer software actually fills the void with a honeycomb, so it's nearly all air.

I've split parts only a couple of times. It's a pretty advanced technique! I've not come up with a consistent way of tightly joining stuff together again. My best efforts have been to put a hole through the whole lot and sandwich it together with a nut and bolt...
s all the time to hold halves together. It has the advantage of being able to disassemble the whole thing without destroying it. 👍

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
This is one 3D print which I suspect would be quite illegal!
Ebay, from China, £1.54!

s-l1600.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back