Show us your 3d printed bits! (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Anyone printing the little hinge parts of the telescopic guide for the Ducato Remis side window blinds?

I’ve designed some for that. Is this what you need. I can send you the STL files
79E163CD-7840-4C9C-B669-4BCE96784DF5.jpeg

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Anyone printing the little hinge parts of the telescopic guide for the Ducato Remis side window blinds?

Here’s a better picture. You fit black M3 button head bolts in the holes to act as hinge pins. Much stronger. Just let me know if anyone wants the STL files. If you wanted them printed with the bolts ready to go, I sell them for £10 a pair incl p&p, but the files you can have.
PaulandChrissy.

61C08DE7-E420-45DE-A6EA-4F1F7EBF10D2.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
anybody still do a bracket to attach a huawei B535 router on the wall in the van please
Hi refail
I made one forTheBig1. You can have the STL files for free if you have a printer to make it on, or I can make one for you. I can make them for £15.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
anybody still do a bracket to attach a huawei B535 router on the wall in the van please
Looks like there's a design on Thingiverse?

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My son has been looking at 3d printers, what sort would you recommend. Hes only going to be doing hobby stuff and PC related parts for his friends etc.
Hard question. I'm not up to recent changes, so others might know more. Quite a few people have the Original Prusa i3. They aren't particularly flashy and aren't especially cheap, but they are reliable. The Volkswagen Golf of the 3d printer world. There are cheaper options, but it used to be that they were a pain to set up, not sure if that's still the case. My first printer often took an hour of fiddling to get a print to start and then would frequently fail, so longer prints weren't an option. The Prusa can be left for months and still self calibrate and print without any mucking around. I've had very few print or technical failures with it. I've printed 5 hour parts without issue. I know some people that have done 24 hour parts...

3d printers still aren't at the point where they are fire and forget. They are getting better, but they still take some learning. Some people have printers because modifying and making the printers themselves is the fun bit. Others just print random stuff that they've downloading from Thingiverse. That's fine. But I like to make my own stuff... The design bit also takes skill that takes time to learn.

Note: The above applies to FDM printers (which take a spool of plastic, melt it and squirt it out of the nozzle like cake icing). SLA printing uses a light sensitive fluid that gets exposed to harden layer by layer. These were far too expensive and limited to smaller models when I bought my Prusa, but the prices are dropping.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Looks like there's a design on Thingiverse?
Here’s a picture of my design if anyone would like the STL files. The files are free. TheBig1 has a picture of it fitted.
0BB9B208-7EAA-4D2A-BC2B-631B8ACD9B1E.jpeg

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Hard question. I'm not up to recent changes, so others might know more. Quite a few people have the Original Prusa i3. They aren't particularly flashy and aren't especially cheap, but they are reliable. The Volkswagen Golf of the 3d printer world. There are cheaper options, but it used to be that they were a pain to set up, not sure if that's still the case. My first printer often took an hour of fiddling to get a print to start and then would frequently fail, so longer prints weren't an option. The Prusa can be left for months and still self calibrate and print without any mucking around. I've had very few print or technical failures with it. I've printed 5 hour parts without issue. I know some people that have done 24 hour parts...

3d printers still aren't at the point where they are fire and forget. They are getting better, but they still take some learning. Some people have printers because modifying and making the printers themselves is the fun bit. Others just print random stuff that they've downloading from Thingiverse. That's fine. But I like to make my own stuff... The design bit also takes skill that takes time to learn.

Note: The above applies to FDM printers (which take a spool of plastic, melt it and squirt it out of the nozzle like cake icing). SLA printing uses a light sensitive fluid that gets exposed to harden layer by layer. These were far too expensive and limited to smaller models when I bought my Prusa, but the prices are dropping.
+1 for the Prusa I've owned for two years now. However, at £700 a pop my little bits will take a long time to complete the amortisation!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
My son has been looking at 3d printers, what sort would you recommend. Hes only going to be doing hobby stuff and PC related parts for his friends etc.

Prusa(www.prusa3d.com) make great printers but they are slighty on the pricy side. I have mine over 2 years and would absolutely buy again from them. Most of the screenshots in this thread would suggest that I'm not the only one happy with them. Thingiverse is a great resource and if you design yourself then there are many many 3D programs. I am learning(mainly struggling with) the fantastic Fusion 360. Some of the stuff below for my Forte that I've designed and fitted over the last year.

Wetroom corner shelves - pratactically no storage in the swift wetroom. This would have cost them cents to do while manufacturing. Each shelf took over 14hrs to print....
1627293902654.png

Updated control for Truma so had to cover the hole from the old control. Used the chromed surrounding and integrated a switch for later use
1627294151813.png

Internal Bullfinch shower so wanted to catch the drips
1627294533771.png

Dashcam mount - need to redesign this to avoid passenger sun visor - winter project
1627294653859.png

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Prusa i3 MK3s and the Mini+. I have one of each. Excellent robust machines that just run and run. My MK3s has now done over 4,000 hours printing with only minor maintenance. Only downside is Price. Another big bonus is the constant software improvements and customer support. No other company can match Prusa for support. It’s Prusa for me.
3DB4AA19-B86F-45E2-840D-43C6B8C822A3.jpeg
A20815BB-6966-4381-8510-9FE67EB8A828.jpeg

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Here’s a better picture. You fit black M3 button head bolts in the holes to act as hinge pins. Much stronger. Just let me know if anyone wants the STL files. If you wanted them printed with the bolts ready to go, I sell them for £10 a pair incl p&p, but the files you can have.
PaulandChrissy.

View attachment 520257
Excellent exactly what I need.
On the original the side pins are just 3mm stubs, is there room to utilise the button head.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Hi
Yes the button heads just slip in snug. Another funster has tried them and was very happy. Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you the files, or if you want them printed, I can make them for you.

Cheers PaulandChrissy

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My first 3d printer was a Printrbot Simple. It was very cheap (especially for the time) and was made of plywood with nylon chord wrapped around Dremel sanding drums around a basic motor to winch the mechanisms around. It was horribly inaccurate and prone to wobble, stretch and go out of true. Every time I used it, it took an hour to re-level the bed because it was a different temperature and humidity to earlier in the day. The hobby was mainly about keeping the printer going by printing bits for itself before they wore out, rather than making anything useful.

The Prusa i3 is a massive improvement over the Printrbot. I've barely touched it since I got it and it works pretty much every time (I had one incident where it wouldn't calibrate and has gouged a trench in my build plate... still don't know why). Mine is the Mk2 and getting very noisy and it's too old now to buy the upgrade kits to make it anything better. I'll probably get the latest one when this wears out...

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I’m not sure that if you purchase a 3 d printer it about getting your money’s worth. I would think it’s about improving designs and getting what you want when you want it. With me it’s lack of computer knowledge using CAD

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a Creality 3v2. I need to add auto bed levelling otherwise excellent. Longest print so far 12+ hours with no issues.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
has anybody made any plugs to go into the ends of the drivers/passenger seats on a 2017 ducato ?

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I’m not sure that if you purchase a 3 d printer it about getting your money’s worth. I would think it’s about improving designs and getting what you want when you want it. With me it’s lack of computer knowledge using CAD
Agreed. It’s all about enjoying making something better, or making something that nobody has thought of before. The power of Utube will make you a master of CAD. I knew nothing about CAD and can now make almost anything that pops into my head. Just a few weeks of uTube is all it takes.

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
I'm currently playing with Fusion360 to make the designs, but I really don't know what I'm doing. It's all trial and error. I frequently try to make minor changes to the design and end up with a squiggle of random lines. So I undo or redraw whole bits again. Maybe I'll figure it out eventually.

I've had more success with OpenSCAD where you write a simple commands like BASIC for the shapes you want in 3d. But it gets hard very quickly if you want anything that's not geometric.
I struggled with Fusion 360 until I did a 3 day online course earlier this year. Really opened my eyes and I find it much easier now.

It was this https://www.armada.co.uk/course/fusion-360-training/

A bit expensive but really worthwhile

Peter

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I struggled with Fusion 360 until I did a 3 day online course earlier this year. Really opened my eyes and I find it much easier now.

It was this https://www.armada.co.uk/course/fusion-360-training/

A bit expensive but really worthwhile

Peter
Once you have mastered the basics, it all becomes enjoyable. I like to add a new skill to my fusion 360 knowledge each week. You suddenly find better ways to design things. My favourite is LOFTING. You can make shapes with lofting you never thought possible. Great fun.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Once you have mastered the basics, it all becomes enjoyable. I like to add a new skill to my fusion 360 knowledge each week. You suddenly find better ways to design things. My favourite is LOFTING. You can make shapes with lofting you never thought possible. Great fun.
I particularly like the 'Sweep' command. Makes lids fit properly!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back