should you leave a toll road to get cheaper fuel? (2 Viewers)

Feb 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Touring
Hi, Just wondering if someone can give a bit of advice here. I have a long road trip and will use toll roads as I need to get there on time for a wedding! My question is, if I drop off the toll road to get some cheaper petrol and then pop back on, will the toll charges be more and make the minor detour for cheap petrol, not worthwhile? So, for three detours off the toll road, say every 300 miles, would I save money or should I just fill up at the services on the toll roads?

Thanks everyone

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
not done it in Portugal but the cahrges on french motorways have not been any more that i have noted when i have done that.

you could look up on the motorway network route planner, which give the costs between pay boothes. and compare the costs.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Good question, you could use one of the diesel price apps to compare some prices at different garages ?

This one maybe

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I would say, either pay the higher charges when you have to but don't fill right up, just enough to get to a handy motorway or big town junction where there is always a handy supermarket, or just pay the higher rate anyway. It's your holiday, don't waste the time. With practice, you'll get the hang of finding the balance that works for you.

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
If we use Spain to the UK (or vice versa) as an example...
If you use the viamichelin website and do, as an example, Perpignan to Calais...it is €84.70 in tolls. Come off at Salbris halfway up France and the two halves of the journey are shown as €41.50 and €44.10....so less than one euro more expensive....but....not all sections are peage so filling up in Spain just before crossing into France will save a chunk for starters, then going by via michelins route, passing Limoges, come off just south at the supermarket complex and pay c #1.73 for diesel as opposed to the likely c€1.95+ on the autoroute.....50 litres...that's a tenner saved on one fill up. With a bit of forward planning...you could easily save £100 on a trip to Spain and back, from the UK. Not to be sniffed at

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Some, I'm told, nip off go round the roundabout then back on to save a few euros. How this works I don't know but you could save with cheaper fuel and a smaller toll.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
At one time the French motorway service areas were reasonable especially compared to the UK. However, they are now more expensive.
Try and time your fill ups with nightly stops where you will come off anyway. Supermarkets are generally cheapest. Use a fuel price comparison website or app.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi, Just wondering if someone can give a bit of advice here. I have a long road trip and will use toll roads as I need to get there on time for a wedding! My question is, if I drop off the toll road to get some cheaper petrol and then pop back on, will the toll charges be more and make the minor detour for cheap petrol, not worthwhile? So, for three detours off the toll road, say every 300 miles, would I save money or should I just fill up at the services on the toll roads?

Thanks everyone

You'll probably find that you won't have any occasions when you're driving for 400 miles in one go on peage routes... Most of the journey would be motorways but there would be plenty of opportunities to come off the non-peage sections to refuel etc.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Is there a 300 mile toll road…? Just make sure you have filled up before, I can do 2 1/2 fill ups from Calais to Alicante…😎

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We went right across Italy from France to Trieste. It was over 400 KMs. I think it was 44 euros we paid about 6 years ago. Diesel on the peage was the first 2 euro diesel we saw. I think it was about 1.50 off the motorway. No prizes for guessing what I did

Upvote 0
May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
You should do, although I don’t. Having said that I do normally fill up before hitting the toll roads and only occasionally end up using service station fuel pumps, when I do, I just accept I’m paying for the convenience

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have found that there is usually a quite decent road going the same way as the motorways , what we do is alternate between the two , if we are likely to be needing fuel that day ,we just use the other road till we find a filling station then get back to the motorway farther on.
But saying that we have never been in any big hurry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Feb 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Touring
I have been playing with viamichelin.com and I think I can now answer my own question. It gives me the toll costs to planned stop and then toll costs from planned stop to destination. I can compare this to tolls without the planned stop and see if there is a difference. And someone has pointed out the whole trip is not on toll roads, so there are quite a few opportunities to dive off none toll roads and top up with no affect on toll charges. Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The M6 toll road is now ridiculously expensive BUT the flippin road works round the various junctions between Spaghetti and Jct 11 (Hilton Park services and Jct with M54 without coming off motorway) seems to attract more traffic to the toll rd. Set off earlier, don't specify a specific time of arrival, allow longer for your journey.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
The French government helpfully provide a price comparison site with mapping showing up-to-date prices of diesel (and Autogas) across the country.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back