Should I be worried? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Stereotypes are not always accurate , but there's usually a fair reason for it being so , more than the exception proving the rule :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Stereotypes are not always accurate , but there's usually a fair reason for it being so , more than the exception proving the rule :)
I don't agree that stereotypes are usually as a result of a fair reason speaking as someone who's mother used to say wash that fruit it might be from abroad you can't tell if they've washed their hands! Stereotypes can be for a good reason or prejudice

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
One reason to courteously decline door-to-door sales inquiries with a "It's not for sale, sorry" is that these individuals are typically excellent negotiators. Without prior consideration of selling or strong negotiation skills, you might find yourself at a disadvantage. Engaging in the bargaining process can become challenging to stop once it begins and it can become intimidating. Moreover, be ready for a second wave of negotiation just when you believe the transaction is concluding. However, based on my experience, after the agreement is sealed with a handshake, it tends to proceed smoothly.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I don't agree that stereotypes are usually as a result of a fair reason speaking as someone who's mother used to say wash that fruit it might be from abroad you can't tell if they've washed their hands! Stereotypes can be for a good reason or prejudice
Your entitled to your opinion :) you may be right , prejudice can be for a reason as well JMHO :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have just had ‘ webuyanymotorhome’ knock at my door. Very pleasant Irish chap….however…we have travellers and the fairground locally at the moment. He was very keen to point out that he was legit and pointed to his mobile number on his van and shirt. However when I googled said commonly they have an 0800 number so very unsure.
Just a heads up for any Dorset folk, especially in the Poole area.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
He may be sussing out what security you have , lights, security camera, vehicle locks, dog's etc.,etc., I would be on my guard.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
He may be sussing out what security you have , lights, security camera, vehicle locks, dog's etc.,etc., I would be on my guard.
Yep, car going in front of the van as extra security. However will be at work tomorrow. If they want them, they will get them sadly. My whole estate has many motorhomes parked on driveways. Worrying.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As for not showing their face before stealing, they could send one of the gang to knock and he could make sure he had an alibi for the time of theft.
Quite possibly and we have a shedload around here at the moment. Broke into the area by my local school. :mad:

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I had a similar knock when selling out old MH. I thought what the heck and told him a price. He tried to negotiate and I just smiled and said No, sorry but that's my price - your choice. Never let him leave my sight though - some have been known to slip grease or water into oil filler cap " head gasket is going"
Never worried about the visit as I had van, reg, and two faces on multiple cameras.
I had just fitted a kill switch and no way would anyone have guessed where it was.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I have just had ‘ webuyanymotorhome’ knock at my door. Very pleasant Irish chap….however…we have travellers and the fairground locally at the moment. He was very keen to point out that he was legit and pointed to his mobile number on his van and shirt. However when I googled said commonly they have an 0800 number so very unsure.
Just a heads up for any Dorset folk, especially in the Poole area.
Mobiles move, land lines stay put,.mostly🤷

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have a look for anything unusual near your property....chalk marks on gateposts etc they have been known to 'mark' properties for another look by accomplices after dark.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We live in a cul-de-sac and have had the same types of door knickers. A polite "no" and they were off. Our security cameras are visible... The did nothing that looked shifty and there was nothing to report as suspicious.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had such door knockers and the had their 'van nicked. I'd propose that the Irish travellers wouldn't raise suspicions and then come back and carry out the theft.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We live in a cul-de-sac and have had the same types of door knickers. A polite "no" and they were off. Our security cameras are visible... The did nothing that looked shifty and there was nothing to report as suspicious.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had such door knockers and the had their 'van nicked. I'd propose that the Irish travellers wouldn't raise suspicions and then come back and carry out the theft.
That is also very true. I have read lots of posts that haven’t resulted in anything…if the travellers weren’t parked up half a mile away I wouldn’t be so concerned. Hopefully it’s all genuine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back