Should I be worried? (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2018
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I live in a quiet cul-de-sac, on the edge of a village. Just had a young chap (mid twenties), knock on my door asking if I wanted to sell my Motorhome, apparently he was just passing and saw it, so thought he'd ask. Without wishing to make assumptions/sound racist, he was Irish and not someone I've ever seen around the village before. He also stopped at a neighbours house and had a look at their motorhome, they are out but I will just pop down and let them know when they get home. I gave Avon and Somerset Police a call on the 101 number and they were not interested, suggested I make a note of what happened "in case anything comes of it" bit bl**dy late after they've taken Florence!!
I'm going to take the dog out later and stop off at all the houses with MoHos and give them a heads up.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've had them knock my door ..same question.. never see them again,

I wouldn't be concerned. If someone is going to nick it they wouldn't show face and ask if it's for sale beforehand.. .. that's my reasoning

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Been mentioned on different threads on here before I can't see any advantage if they were thinking of nicking it in coming to show their face first. We had one here a few years ago and I upped the security but as far as I know no one tried anything on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Had a chap in a 4 x 4 stop at the storage yard and asked me which vans were for sale and he had a very strong Irish accent. He never once looked me in the eye and was craning his neck looking over my shoulder at the yard. Told him none for sale as it’s storage only.

I managed to take a few pictures of him and the car. Very distinguishing scar down one cheek. Anyhow, 2 days later someone removed a small tree, cut through the fence and dragged a caravan out backwards before making off with it. Second one that’s gone in 6 months.

I’d previously passed the pictures to the site owner who had contacted the police, along with the pictures and they were very interested in him. Apparently he had form, but don’t know if anything else came of it, but always best to be wary.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Personally, I’d be weary.

Just passing ….in a quiet Cul de Sac.. hmmmm!

Perhaps disconnect something if you aren’t going to use it for a while.

A thief, planning to steal MoHo, would be very interested if the owner was at home.

A lot of vehicle crime is committed by thieves breaking in and stealing the vehicle keys.
Besides, they would prefer not to be disturbed by an outraged owner looking out the window

Knocking is a simple way of ascertaining the answer without risk

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Id worry about it.

There are a certain breed of people who don’t care if their faces are seen, or their vehicle details taken. They also have very strong accents and lack any concern about anyone else.

Block it in, or immobilise it.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Nothing to worry about. They will have got the message that it isn't for sale and won't be back.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Been mentioned on different threads on here before I can't see any advantage if they were thinking of nicking it in coming to show their face first. We had one here a few years ago and I upped the security but as far as I know no one tried anything on.
I suppose one advantage is that if noone answers, they know the coast is clear.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had one as well. Our van isn't normally kept at home but we had just returned from a trip and had parked it on our drive to unload (the wine)
Got a good mugshot of him on the front drive camera, but the next day it went back to the storage compound.

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Neighbour asked me today if I had received a knock on the door recently as someone asked him if his was for sale. Apparently the chap said he was from Morecambe.

OP
OP
Tizme
Nov 17, 2018
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I knocked on the doors of all the MoHo owners around the village, seems 2 chaps had been around offering to buy their vans if they wanted to sell, they offered "business cards" with 2 mobile phone numbers, no address.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years

Checking out the item close up and moreso what security, of the vehicle and neighbourhood is like?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Checking out the item close up and moreso what security, of the vehicle and neighbourhood is like?
But there are a lot on here me included who have had people around asking if the MH is for sale and none who have said soon after it was nicked!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It's an easy way to see how old & competent the owner is AND, if the owner is thinking of selling and silly enough to give them the guided tour,
to see how many alarms are fitted and where + to have a legitimate look inside to see if, it or anythings worth nicking by another person while the one you have seen gets an alibi? 🤔

Reactions: HKF
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Id worry about it.

There are a certain breed of people who don’t care if their faces are seen, or their vehicle details taken. They also have very strong accents and lack any concern about anyone else.

Block it in, or immobilise it.
But do you worry they might have knocked and you were not at home. Situation would be the same but you wouldn't know anything.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's an easy way to see how old & competent the owner is AND, if the owner is thinking of selling and silly enough to give them the guided tour,
to see how many alarms are fitted and where + to have a legitimate look inside to see if, it or anythings worth nicking by another person while the one you have seen gets an alibi? 🤔
But on the previous thread quite a few had the uninvited offer none reported anything nicked! Their either not linked to theft or so in efficient it's not worth worrying about.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Maybe they hope you'll show them around so they can check any security?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
But do you worry they might have knocked and you were not at home. Situation would be the same but you wouldn't know anything.
It then gives them a plausible reason why they are looking around your van and on your premises. (y)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
But on the previous thread quite a few had the uninvited offer none reported anything nicked! Their either not linked to theft or so in efficient it's not worth worrying about.
You pays your money and makes your choice!
Personally, I wouldn't let them passed my gate.
In the old days, it used to be, " do you want your roof done? "

Any legitimate way of having a look at you and what you've got!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Its on a similar ploy as the "your guttering looks in need of fixing" if your gullible they can then see a chance at exploitation , better if they can "legally" steal , less risk of a comeback . Its all percentages .

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Its on a similar ploy as the "your guttering looks in need of fixing" if your gullible they can then see a chance at exploitation , better if they can "legally" steal , less risk of a comeback . Its all percentages .

It is one of the first signs of Spring. The Rathkeale Rovers are back after their winter break.

The next knock I will get is going to be "We can clean your driveway" or "Do you have any trees that need cutting". I told them last year that there are no trees in my garden, only in my neighbours' gardens.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We often have people knocking and asking if the Motorhome is for sale. Been happening for years.

I mentioned to one of the knockers it wasn't but my Sons car was. He had a look made a very good offer. I rang Son he said OK. Paid in cash all happy. The same guy (Irish speaking) well dressed often passes the house and says let me know if you want to sell the Hymer.

Not all door knockers are bad. Same as not all Irish sounding are bad.

we do make sure we have good security on the van though.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We often have people knocking and asking if the Motorhome is for sale. Been happening for years.

I mentioned to one of the knockers it wasn't but my Sons car was. He had a look made a very good offer. I rang Son he said OK. Paid in cash all happy. The same guy (Irish speaking) well dressed often passes the house and says let me know if you want to sell the Hymer.

Not all door knockers are bad. Same as not all Irish sounding are bad.

we do make sure we have good security on the van though.
We had some ask if we wanted our drive "steam cleaning" as it was better than jet washing. After a bit of negotiation he got a couple of lads to jetwash it! But they did a very good job at a very reasonable price ( Irish accents etc).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back